April 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Pan Am' Premiere: Kate Takes on a US Intelligence Assignment (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 26th 2011 6:45AM
'Pan Am' - 'Pilot'There's a lot more going on with 'Pan Am' (Sun., 10PM ET on ABC) than pretty girls in form-fitting stewardess uniforms. Set in the depths of the cold war, we got things started right away with one of our stewardesses, Kate (Kelli Garner), tasked to make a document switch to help a Russian man get detained at a stop.

She spent much of the flight figuring out how to change his passport without him knowing, and through some ingenuity and quick thinking on her feet, despite plenty of other distractions, she got the job done.

And then she found out it wasn't the job she thought at all.

It was a test and the Russian man was actually an MI-6 agent, which means this is a US-British joint effort she's being recruited into, and it ties to a stewardess they used to work with. All this espionage makes for a much more interesting ride than anticipated.

The pilot sprinkled in a healthy does of flashbacks to flesh out some of the principal characters, giving us a richer viewing experience without any awkward exposition. All in all, 'Pan Am' was a bit of a pleasant surprise, and it managed to be compelling and exciting despite Christina Ricci's character being almost a non-entity thus far.

With the possibilities of stories literally taking place anywhere in the world Pan Am flew, the storytelling potential for this series is endless. Add a spy element and tying it to the Cold War is a brilliant move to raise the stakes and danger. A healthy mix of sex, romance, soap opera and danger makes for a winning airborne cocktail.

Check out Mo Ryan's take on 'Pan Am' -- and 'Prime Suspect' -- here.

See what real-life Pan Am stewardesses though of the pilot here.

: Ðan

didn't like Pan Am at all , had to change the channel after the first 20min. so much for that show on to the other new ones that I did like though

September 26 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

The show was well done. Yes, it did bring us back to a time when flying was glamorous. For those of us that flew Pan Am for our overseas flights, we remember the impeccable service and the well groomed stewardesses and stewards. We, as passengers, dressed well, and all this added to the prestige of flying internationally.

September 26 2011 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I thought women didn't like being "objectified". This show sets women back 30 years. I watched it for the first and last time. I flew Pan Am to Frankfurt in 1986 and they "stews" looked or acted nothing like the ones in this show.
Times have definitely changed

September 26 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigred8690

If this show does any good, it'll make the airlines hire beautiful women again. I had dinner with a woman who was a stewardess for TWA in the late 60s, and I could tell she must've have been drop dead gorgeous in 1969.

September 26 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Unfortunately, I was dissapointed in the premiere of this show. I was really looking forward to it, but wasn't that into it when I watched it. I'll try it a couple more times, though, to see if it picks up. I was suprised, however, that I really enjoyed the show Revenge and am looking forward to watch more.

September 26 2011 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shareee

The cockpit in the 20's I don't think so in a new plane . no only experince old guys flying them the stews shared rooms in those days. and in the big lux rooms never happened

September 26 2011 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mpeter4876

As a retired airline worker ,it was nice to see the pan am colors although I worked for TWA. I myself don't see myself watching this again such as it is. The plot has not thickened nor even inticed me. Actually boredom in perpetual motion.

September 26 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jetlagth

I enjoyed the show but the background music was so loud, I couldn't quite hear it all. Who is the studio on this production? Producers and directors take note.... the background music is too loud, tone it down a bit, we want to hear the dialog.

September 26 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eglodic

The new show Pan Am was disgusting & made a mockery of the stewardesses who worked for that airline. They were depicted as sex starved Playboy Playmates & not professionals who had a very difficults job to do. I will never watch this show again & advise my family & friends not to watch it either.
Evie Glodic

September 26 2011 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B.Gee

Mad Men will inspire many more like Pan Am. I'd prefer that they just bring back Happy Days. I knew several stewardae back in the '50s. Their conversations were limited to how many passegers threw up on a rough flight.
But one couldn't do worse than a blind date with one of them -- they were all so cute. Look around the cabin of your next flight -- some of them are still flying! Grandmas in the aisles.

September 26 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply