November 26, 2014

'Firefly' Actor Sean Maher on Coming Out as a Gay Actor

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 26th 2011 4:15PM
Sean MaherSean Maher, currently appearing in NBC's 'The Playboy Club,' is opening up about his sexuality. The actor broke his silence to Entertainment Weekly, discussing his sexuality for the first time.

A father of two with his partner of nine years, Maher said he wanted to use his role as a closeted gay on 'The Playboy Club' to come out of the closet himself.

"I was working on other stuff, and then this role came up, which was like a light bulb going off," Maher said. "I was like, This is perfect. I want to do this, and I want to use it as a platform to come out."

Widely known for his role in the Joss Whedon series 'Firefly' and its subsequent film 'Serenity,' Maher said when he first came to Hollywood, people just assumed he was straight. Not correcting them, Maher went along with it, fearing his homosexuality would jeopardize jobs, specificall one of his first, a short-lived Fox series 'Ryan Caulfield: Year One.'

"I'm 22, I move to L.A., and it's such a cliché, but the day I arrive, publicists from the show took me out to The Ivy for lunch," he said. "They're telling me, 'You know, gosh, we'd really appreciate it if you could keep your girlfriend on the side because we want to appeal to the female demographic of the show.'"

The manager and agent he had at the time encouraged him to keep his sexuality a secret and even after he parted ways with them he continued to do so. "It was so exhausting, and I was so miserable."

Now 36 years old, Maher is ready to be open about his life and embrace his work.

"Creatively, I feel so much more open and free, and I am so happy on 'The Playboy Club,'" he said. "I think it's because I've never been so open on set. All of the relationships that I have off-camera, I never would have allowed five years ago. It feels so liberating."

Watch Maher in a full episode of 'Firefly'

Alex!~

"Firefly" looks like a Pretty Cool Show! Not like the **** we have to watch Now on Commercial TV! The Theme Song Sucked tho.

September 27 2011 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex!~

Yea for Gay!

September 27 2011 at 12:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Why does he think we need to know this? What do I care if he's gay or not?

September 26 2011 at 9:50 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chuck's comment
frelling_cute

For the same reason we always have to know you are hetero.

September 27 2011 at 3:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
knight9k

if you are happy. That is all that matters. Make your peace with God and live life to the fullest.

September 26 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
knight9k

if you are happy. That is all that matters. Make you peace with God and live life to the fullest.

September 26 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hotlips512

Very Happy for him I've seen him in person very nice guy!

September 26 2011 at 9:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hotlips512

Very Happy for him I've seen him in person very nice guy!

September 26 2011 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javanese

I guess this is not really a surprise. 20 mins into 1st ep of firefly and I KNOW this guy is gay. Pretty much sums up his skill as an actor. Eric Stonestreet however, I swear was gay but he's not. That guy can act.

September 26 2011 at 9:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Javanese's comment
frelling_cute

I knew he was gay too but thought the sexual tension he had going with Jewel was intense.

September 27 2011 at 3:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Herb

Who cares , just support your country , this is nobodies business enjoy your life.

September 26 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
castleberryracin

good thing he live in the good old USA .In Iran they would cut his head off.

September 26 2011 at 8:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to castleberryracin's comment
jelun

There are no gays in Iran, didn't you know?

September 26 2011 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jelun's comment
atlchai

They are in the closet sister :)

September 27 2011 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down