September 20, 2014

Andy Rooney Stepping Down From '60 Minutes' Post

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 27th 2011 5:16PM
Andy RooneyAndy Rooney is leaving his '60 Minutes' commentary post.

Rooney, 92, will make his formal announcement on Sunday. It will be his 1097th 'A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney' commentary.

Prior to his farewell segment, Rooney will look back on his career in a retrospective with Morley Safer.

"There's nobody like Andy and there never will be," Jeff Fager, CBS News chairman and '60 Minutes' executive producer, said in a statement. "He'll hate hearing this, but he's an American original. His contributions to '60 Minutes' are immeasurable; he's also a great friend."

Rooney will probably not be replaced and '60 Minutes' will always welcome him back.

"It's harder for him to do it every week," Fager said. "But he will always have the ability to speak his mind on '60 Minutes' when the urge hits him."

Rooney began his run with '60 Minutes' in July 1978. His first assignment was about the automobile fatalities during that year's Independence Day weekend. He became a regular in the fall of 1978.

Tell us: Will you miss Andy Rooney?

EMIL

Whine,whine,whine.
He should have retired long ago.

October 08 2011 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bank777

Dear Mr Rooney,
My husband and I always enjoyed your comments.
Enjoy life ... and thanks for a great chuckle every week.
The Webbs

October 03 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I have always enjoyed Andy Rooney's rants, and will miss him.

September 28 2011 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jleestma

As I grow older, curmudgeoness (is this a word?) seems to grow, Lord knows there is much to be curmudgeonly about, but Andy is a beacon in the night on the subject. I wish him well and will miss him. There is just more for the rest of us to do.

JEL, Chicago

September 28 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
almazstmp

Most people of his age were disgusted with moral decay, cultural downturn, political correctness and so on. He was only bothered by little unimportant things. What a fool.

September 28 2011 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skyhawkchick12

Wow,I Have a Home Video of Me as a Baby of Me Crying Over this dude scary Eyebrows....He should really pluck them..

September 28 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hhtruckap

I'm really going to miss his right to the point and straight from the heart opinions. He is a man who really says whats on his mind, and doesn't care who he offends. There will never be another Andy Rooney.

September 28 2011 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dls1777

I started a journal of my life and decided to do it in Andy Rooney's style...each page is a story...thanks to him I now have 263 stories in my journal and gaining more every day...

September 28 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjones8656

will miss him very much---he was one of the greatest WW ll correspondents. was the onlyone to fly in a B-17 on a bombing raid over Berlin.

September 28 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jmak

I am totally going to miss Mr.Andy Rooney, he's the reason why I would watch 60 minutes on Sunday. 60 Minute will Never be the Same. :(

September 28 2011 at 11:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply