August 23, 2014

Is 'The Playboy Club' or 'Pan Am' More Accurate?

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 27th 2011 4:00PM
The Playboy Club, Pan AmAt the heart of NBC's 'The Playboy Club' and ABC's 'Pan Am' are trailblazing women. These two new fall shows are based on real-life happenings of the 1960s and have some very vocal critics and it's looking like women who lived through the period are happier with 'Pan Am.'

Over at Vanity Fair, former Chicago Playboy bunny Marilyn Miller wasn't shy in sharing her disdain for the new NBC series.

"I'm so disappointed," Miller said. "They did a wonderful job re-creating the club physically, but everything else..."

Miller said the show is filled with inaccuracies. The bunnies never danced with or dated customers, nor were there mobsters and politicians.

"I didn't like the whole show. I thought it was cheap, it was degrading, it was demoralizing. It makes the Bunnies seem silly," she said. "Not one Bunny I know liked the show. Everyone is hoping it gets canceled."

Miller's wish may come true! The show debuted to 5 million viewers, but dropped to 4 million viewers for its second episode Monday night.

Meanwhile, ABC's 'Pan Am' not only delighted TV critics and viewers, but former stewardesses are singing its praises. AOL TV showed the first episode to six former Pan Am stewardesses -- they prefer to be called than instead of flight attendants -- and it was met with rave reviews. While there were some inaccuracies with hair length and uniform colors, the women said they were pleased with the show as a whole.

Find out what they had to say below!

KC

I think those people are wrong, Up All Night should be cancelled before the run it. The Playboy Club was a true work of art with great potential. I like it a lot! Who are you polling to get these coments? Some old up tight people with no life?

October 04 2011 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AGUDELOandFITCH

Accuracy for most of us who didnt live in the 60s is totally not the main target but the show was just very intretaining and you do really care for the characters and what mess theyr going to get in to next i really liked the show

September 28 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

You guys are really hurting for Mad Men right? I guess you guys missed the Hour too.

September 28 2011 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ReelReviewer

I also have a take on all of these 60s themed shows and how it relates to gender roles: http://reelreviewer.blogspot.com/2011/09/1960s-tv-today.html

September 28 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan Sauvé

I liked the playboy club more than panam , that mob boss murder isn't going to stay underwraps for long

September 27 2011 at 8:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Javanese

Can we stop looking fro realism and accuracy in TV series? I'm looking for entertainment not a dose of reality, have enough of that in my REAL life. That said, PanAm is much more entertaining (spies, airplanes, scandals!). Playboy club, not so much.

September 27 2011 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply