November 21, 2014

'Awkward' Finale: Did Jenna Choose the Right Guy? And About the Letter...

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 28th 2011 9:00AM
AwkwardThe first season of MTV's 'Awkward' didn't go out with a whimper, that's for sure.

The hilarious high school show about an outsider girl trying to decide between the two adorable, popular guys in her love love triangle (first world problems, right?) while also trying to figure out who sent her a mean-spirited "Carefrontation" letter at the beginning of the school year solved both mysteries before the end of Tuesday's hourlong finale. But let's get to the most shocking revelation first: Did she choose Jake or Matty?

Though both guys gave us plenty of reasons to root for them throughout the season, my heart, like Jenna's, was decidedly on Team Matty. He meant well, he just didn't realize how poorly he was treating Jenna. He always cared for her -- it's not his fault he's a teenage boy who doesn't know how to deal with his feelings! Although Jake is adorable, I couldn't get over Matty's swoon-worthy gestures to show Jenna how much he cared, and also his dreamy hair. Jake, on the other hand, I thought deserved to stay in the friend zone.

So you can imagine how loudly I gasped when Jenna chose Jake at the Fall Formal. REALLY?! He just got out of a relationship. Is he really the best person for her right now? And although it took Matty a while, he figured out the right thing to do in the end. I know there are vocal Team Jake supporters out there, I'm sorry I can't be on your side. I just can't. I'm going to hold on to the hope that Jenna and Matty's true love will just take a little longer to blossom.

As for the letter: As much as I grew to like Jenna's mom throughout the season, I couldn't shake the sinking feeling that she was the one who wrote it -- but it I was still shocked when my prediction came true.

'Awkward' has shown over the season that although Jenna's mom is selfish, she truly does care about her daughter. So writing the letter does make sense -- she's so misguided that she wouldn't realize how horrible a thing it truly is -- but it also doesn't -- she wouldn't want to hurt Jenna like that, right? (I've gotta believe that.)

I thought the finale was a fantastic episode, and although Season 2 will be amazing, it's basically a tragedy that we'll have to wait until next summer to find out what happens.

Tell us: What did you think of the finale? Are you Team Jake or Team Matty? And did you have any inkling that Jenna's mom wrote the letter?

Ashley

@Christy
That's why Matty said it was okay if they didn't go to the dance. He was trying to be nice and protect her from the letter. But when she thought he was blowing her off that's when he realized she still wanted to go and tried to give her the fortune cookie. He had good intentions.

November 26 2011 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

Matty is the right guy. She is on the rebound and that's why she chose Jake. He's the safe choice, because he can't break her heart like Matty is capable of doing. Jenna loves Matty, that was clear in the finale. I get why she chose Jake, but she still has Matty in her heart. She said it herself, she was choosing with her head, not her heart. Her and Matt belong together. Sometimes you don't get it right on the first try. People make mistakes and learn from them.

November 26 2011 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon Robbinson

Team Matty you can see how heartbroken he is.. like his in love for the first time. and he brings the best out in Jenna, with jake she kinda looks upset and not happy..just like she's there with him... I want Jenna + Matty back. I think Matty is changing.

October 10 2011 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather Crutchley

definitely team jake. he doesn't leave jenna guessing everyday like matty. matty's obviously not ready and doesn't know what he's doing. matty always acts so weird, while jake comes up to jenna and acts normal, even when everyone's talking major **** behind her back. he doesn't care. and come one, we all knew jake and lissa were over since the beginning of the season. i especially liked the part where lissa locked sadie out and kind of befriended jenna. i had a feeling about jenna's mum this whole time. she's such a selfish biych. she cares way more about outer appearances and popularity status than about the well being of jenna. i wanted to punch her thru the whole season. i really like jenna's dad tho. he should be shown more often. he seems to really care about his daughter.

October 02 2011 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quentoya Brewer

TEAM JAKE all the way-------> The finale was great. I felt really bad for matty but at the same time he had so many chances to make things right with her. Jake was the better peson for her

October 01 2011 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany Renee Sill

I Loved The Finale! :) Totally Team Jake Over Here! :)

September 30 2011 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javanese

This show car run toe to toe with the best network tv got to offer. Love the show, love the characters and I'll be tuning in next season.

September 29 2011 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHRiSTY

I was shocked that Jenna chose Jake.. But I'm glad she did because he was never ashamed of her and showed he cared about her. When Sadie made copies of that letter and distributed them around the school, Matty didn't check to see if she was okay while Jake did.

I'm sure though in the second season Matty and Jenna will end up together..

And WOW that was soo mean of her mom to write that letter!

September 28 2011 at 1:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply