November 22, 2014

Ashton Kutcher Riles CBS With Product Placement Antics

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 29th 2011 2:30PM
Ashton KutcherWell, it took two episodes to get there, but CBS is reportedly displeased with Ashton Kutcher on 'Two and a Half Men.' It's not his performance that's causing ire, it's his laptop stickers. Say what?

According to E! Online, Kutcher appeared on screen using a laptop as Walden Schmidt, his new Internet billionaire character. On the character's laptop were stickers for technology companies including Foursquare, Flipboard, Chegg, The Hipmunk and GroupMe.

The stickers make total sense since his character is in that field of work, but CBS didn't approve the advertising.

Kutcher has invested in some of those companies. The network noted the Foursquare connection in the show's credits, per FCC regulations, but the others went without notice.

'Men' creator Chuck Lorre was reportedly OK with the stickers, but CBS wasn't informed and received no compensation for giving those companies prime-time advertising.

"This was not part of any advertising transaction with CBS," a network rep told E!.

Look for the stickers to be blurred in reruns of the show.

Below, check out our interview with the cast of 'Two and a Half Men' and a catch-up guide for this fall's returning shows!

jfmidi

As everyone knew (except CBS and Chuck Lorre) , this version of " that two and a half 70's show " is a bomb . Like him or not....Charlie Sheen made that show #1.....and he alone is responsible for it's ratings and the money it put into these loser's (Lorre / CBS) pocket . Why in the world would these idiots think the show could survive without Charlie Sheen ? Do you think you can put out crap and just market it and hype the hell out of it to fool us into believing it's as good if not better then the original show ? That's exactly what they thought and what they did . These idiots should have been fired and Charlie should have gotten a raise for having to deal with these idiots and to save the show that made them MILLIONS . Bottom line......they screwed up.....and I'm glad as in the end , people who don't deserve to succeed , should not . They lost MILLIONS of dollars and many sponsors.........what a move CBS . Take a bow !!

October 25 2011 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
6_Fingers

Why? Why would you fire Sheen and hire Kutch? It seems wrong for Cryer to play straight man to Kutcher.
A lot of the humor I felt from two and a half men was the sibling rivalry. Something I never got tired of........

September 30 2011 at 9:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lridmon12

Well, I guess since the producers don't have Charlie Sheen to create publicity any longer, they had to manufacture something "controversial". Too bad they couldn't come up with anything more compelling than logo stickers on a laptop. Realistically, how many people would even notice if they weren't told the stickers were there? As far as that goes, how many people are still watching this show anyway?

September 30 2011 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snaponpete

Watched a rerun of 2&1/2 last night, that was funny. Find some way to bring Charlie back and make the show funny again or forget about it. It just isn't funny anymore and it's dumb.

September 30 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Eva Marie

Well, two episodes in the bag and I can't feel any chemistry between Jon and Ashton, the jokes fall flat because the timing IS NOT there. Most of the scenes have been Alan and Walden....mistake. Get the other characters involved and maybe the show will make some sense and not seem so fragmented. Jon Cryer seems lost, like he's still waiting for Charlie to walk through the door.

Sorry CBS you and Warner Brothers backed the loser in lying, conniving Chuck Lorre whose ego was so inflated as to thinking HE was the reason Two and 1/2 Men was the #1 comedy on CBS for 8 years and it woud continue to be so without Charlie Sheen. Now this little piece of flotsam will prove to those around him he's just a nasty, vengeful, selfish egomaniac who destroyed a fantastic show.

Ashton Kutcher cannot save Two and 1/2 Men and Jon Cryer was only a good comedian because Charlie Sheen was an actor with PERFECT TIMING and could make any actor playing opposite him look like a genius. Now you're seeing the real Cryer and it is pitiful.

September 30 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
debbiel13

The new show with Kutcher is awful!!! he is not funny. No doubt CBS by now realizes they made a mistake, Kutcher is the same as the character he plays on "the 70's show", which wasn't at all funny. Glad Kutcher only signed a yr contract, its not working.

September 30 2011 at 9:05 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rkeeeballs

Dude !!!!...you thought you could advertise and cut CBS out of $$$$$$$ WTF were you thinking ...Dang Ashton...you one sneaky clever DUDE...you invested in these company's...WOW !!..$$ you the man...lol..gonna make more than Charlie now !...$$$$$$$...yeeee....hawwww............!

September 30 2011 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nobhussein

How did this Ashton guy ever get a job as an actor. I had never saw an episode of "That 70's Show until a few days ago. I watched part of one and Ashton's acting abilities were about as good as a child in a kindergarten play. When I watched him in "Two and a half Men", there was no improvement, so I ask again, How did he ever get an acting job?

September 30 2011 at 8:59 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Shut up I LOVE U

You know, it's a shame that everyone thinks that Charlie 'made' this show. How about a little credit to the other actors? Personally I am glad that he is gone. I like Berta, Alan, Jake and the rest. Give Ashton a chance, he is not trying to REPLACE Charlie, he is just a new addition. I am with Deb, I will continue to watch and enjoy the show. Keep watching reruns if you like, I've pretty much seen them all and am ready for something new.

September 30 2011 at 8:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Deb

I personally find it ok. I've always like Alan's character and still find him funny. I'm not a huge Ashton fan as I find him a little silly, but I actually don't mind him in this role. He's not trying to "replace" Charlie, no one could, but I think as the story lines build and other characters start t come in, I think it could work. Just my own thoughts. I'll continue to watch.

September 30 2011 at 8:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply