September 23, 2014

Martha Stewart's Daughter Reveals Not-So Perfect Childhood In Tell-All Book

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 3rd 2011 11:00AM
Alexis Stewart BookWhat's living with Martha Stewart like? Well, according to her daughter Alexis, it wasn't exactly all crafts and Christmas magic.

According to the Daily Mail, Alexis is opening up about her childhood in a new book, 'Whateverland: Learning to Live Here.'

"If I didn't do something perfectly, I had to do it again... I grew up with a glue gun pointed at my head," Alexis says in her new book out Oct. 18.

Alexis is Martha's only child. A divorced mother of one, she previously co-hosted radio and TV shows 'Whatever, Martha' and 'Whatever, You're Wrong!' on the Hallmark Channel. In 'Whatever, Martha,' Alexis and co-host Jennifer Hutt would make fun of old 'Martha Stewart Living' episodes and then try to cook or complete the project of the episode.

The domestic diva known for all things home wasn't exactly sensitive to the needs of a child, Alexis writes.

"Martha was not interested in being kid friendly,' Alexis says. "She used to make me wrap my own presents. She would hand me things right before Christmas and say, 'Now wrap these but don't look inside.'"

Forget the holidays, according to Alexis regular home life wasn't very typical. It seems Martha had a penchant for using the bathroom ... with the door open.

"Mother always peed with the door open. "I remember saying, 'You know, now I have friends over! You can't do that anymore! It's gotta stop! My friends' parents don't do it! Give me a break here! I don't feel like being embarrassed! It's exhausting! I'm a kid! Stop!"'

But Alexis could always count on her home to be filled with the wonderful joys of Martha's cooking, right? Well, not according to her book.

"There was never anything to eat at my house," she says. "Other people had food. I had no food ... There were ingredients but no prepared food of any kind."

Alexis writes Martha's parenting -- or lack thereof -- comes from the domestic goddess' own upbringing. One of six kids, Alexis says Martha grew up with nothing.

While talking about their neighbors, one of whom was a woman who was married to an wealthy unattractive man, Alexis says Martha gave her this little piece of advice: "[My] mother actually told me when I was a small child, 'Now Alexis, if this ever happens, you make sure you have sex with somebody else to have their baby. Don't have his baby.' She was very practical about it. It was a survival skill -- you have someone rich and ugly who takes care of you, and you have someone who's hot and makes attractive babies."

Tell us: What do you think of Alexis' claims?

maierscat

It is really to bad Alexis can't be a bigger person and love her mother for who she is. I love my mother despite any mistakes she made along the way. No one can be perfect all the time. Good qualities are forgiveness, love, and understanding. I don't see that Alexis has any of these. I would never throw my Mom under the bus and post her private moments when things weren't picture perfect. Good for Martha for promoting her daughter's book and not feeding into her negativity. I see a lot of jealousy in the comments and watching her interview. It's to bad. It really says a lot when Alexis actually states the best way to hurt someone is to never talk to them again, and that she does this with friends she is done with. I feel bad for Martha that her one daughter has no compassion for others. You should never be mean just to be mean. I understand Alexis may be hurt from the way she sees her past, but why not work on that relationship with your Mom. Don't broadcast to the whole world words to take someone else down. I'm sure Martha could have retaliated and told some unpleasant things about her daughter, but she didn't! You only have one Mom. Someday Alexis will regret what she has done! I bet Martha has already forgiven her. Ashame!!!

October 24 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maierscat

October 24 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goatcars2

I grew up in Nutley N.J. as did Martha and the popular opinion of her peers (she had few friends) was "to know her was to hate her".

October 10 2011 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexandra

You all seem to be under the impression that Alexis grew up with money, yet the reason why Martha became Martha is that her husband divorced her and they had no money. She has repeatedly been reported to have been driven"...good point..............my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here MakeCash9.com

October 10 2011 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bootxpp

What's up with bashing Martha Steward? Outside of Sarah Palin I think she is the most---bashed---successful women I know of? Oprah doesn't get bashed like this, at least until recently when she backed Obama big time for President and then he turned out to be such a loser. Until then she could do no wrong. But Martha and Palin could never do anything right from the get go according to the media. And actually Palin seems to be something of a saint, because even after all the scrutiny she received from the left wing media, even reading all her emails from the time she was Governor of Alaska, they have never found anything bad. Yet she is never given the benefit of the doubt and accused continually of being stupid and inexperienced etc. Ladys don't give in to this urge to bash your sisters especially when many of these women are truly outstanding people like Palin and Backman (I personally as a man would vote either women for President over the current field----yet the left wing media convinced everyone neither are electable??? Look at all the intelligent women on the O'Reily Factor. Imagine the show without them? Don't be brainwashed, we've all had are moments, don't let the media slant them and use them for character assassination, stand up for your sisters!!! We could have are first women President if it weren't for this negative treatment that successful women receive in the media. Anyway get behind Backman for President, and if she falls behind, at least Vice President. In fact instead of a Mit Rommey / Cain ticket how about a Mit Rommney/ Michell Backman ticket.?

October 08 2011 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda Morgan

If the Fed's couldn't bring down Martha for anything substancial, and Camp Cupcake, the prison Martha was in couldn't take her down, I doubt a book written by her spoiled brat daughter is going to do it either. I think Alexis has confused herself with Christina Crawford..... And I'm not a Martha Stewart fan either.

October 08 2011 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bv1220

The only reason these books get written is because funds have been cut off. Period.

October 07 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Go LEAFS Go!

I consider Martha a colossal phony, but this woman sounds like a whiny, petulant jerk. If it wasn't for your mother, you wouldn't have a book deal!

October 07 2011 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamas1224

Who really cares? My mother was 10 times worse than that, and not rich to boot. And I'm fine, so sorry Alexis but you have to get over it. Find more productive things to write about.

October 06 2011 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linnie W.

i have no doubt that alexis has a trove of "stuff" that would make most consider her mother NOT a contender for mother-of-the-year. and i bet that martha would agree but honestly? alexis is 48 and what has she ever done with her life except parody her mother? it's gotten old. get over it because it's not even all that funny. and here's a thought, alexis, do something (anything) else than bash your mother so YOUR child won't have ammunition for when she's older.

October 06 2011 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply