July 30, 2014

'Hung' Star Thomas Jane Admits He Turned Tricks With Men

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 3rd 2011 3:20PM
Thomas JaneThomas Jane plays a male prostitute on the show 'Hung,' and it turns out he has some real-life experience in that arena.

"Hey, you grow up as an artist in a big city, as James Dean said, you're going to have one arm tied behind your back if you don't accept people's sexual flavors," Jane told the Los Angeles Times. "You know, when I was a kid out here in L.A., I was homeless, I didn't have any money and I was living in my car. I was 18. I wasn't averse to going down to Santa Monica Boulevard and letting a guy buy me a sandwich. Know what I mean?"

Jane plays divorced dad Ray Drecker in the HBO comedy 'Hung.' Struggling to get by, Ray turns to prostitution to get some financial stability.

Jane's character has never slept with a man on the show, but he made headlines in September when he told Vulture, "I told HBO, the year I end up with a penis in my mouth is the last year of the show."

The comment caused some backlash toward Jane and now in response, he's opened up about his past.

"You're a lot more open to experimentation as a young man," he said. "And for me, being a young artist and broke in Los Angeles, I was exploring my sexual identity. And probably because of my middle-class, white blue-collar upbringing, I would have never had the opportunity to confront some of my own fears and prejudices had I not been hungry enough to be forced to challenge myself in that way."

More on 'Hung' and the latest TV news here:

ymmy625

I am liking Thomas Jane more & more after this later admission I would like to know how many in Hollywood would admit that confession?

November 10 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdinkydow

Coming Out of the Closet: per say, is the newest trend of years lately...so....looks like one person is doing so his career is "protected" from the Ghosts of his past. Brave move or not; his comments leave a lot to be "open minded" about and also "caring less". Just do the #$% show and get on with it. Once you step in @@@@ is no reason to spread it. You make every effort to get it off your shoes and go on. It lingers for a while until you have walked long enough to wear it off. So, leave it be!! Isn't it our JOB to forgive one another and start life anew?! I believe so. dinky

October 04 2011 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carmencita

disgusting. did we really have to know this? why can't people just keep their mouths shut about what should be totally private matters?

October 04 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carmencita's comment
Larry

If he had kept his mouth shut, he would never had had that experience to share! lmao - I crack myself up.

October 04 2011 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
undaunted8

There's a television show about male prostitutes called "Hung"???? And people watch this? Is it fun for the whole family???? It's very comforting to realize that since I stopped watching television several years ago I haven't missed much.......

October 04 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to undaunted8's comment
wrxfrk16

Nothing on HBO is fun for the whole family, that's the point. And it isn't about male prostitutes in general, it's essentially a single dad who, divorced with two kids whose house burns down. So to make ends meet he winds up turning to the oldest profession... It's alright.

October 04 2011 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandine Morgan

I'm sorry, I must have missed something here - so Mr. Hung claims b/c he was a kid, b/c he was broke, b/c he was an artist...that sounds like an awful lot of excuses to me buddy, for being a sexually confused moron at 18, who figured it's easier to suck it and to swallow it than to just apply for a job in retail or behind the deli counter (there's PLENTY of MEAT there too)...I'm sorry, but I never liked him..I adore his ex wife, he mooched off her and her family for YEARS!!!!!!!!

October 04 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
pasquamar

I love the honesty, that wasn't easy to admit

October 04 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KK

Uggh.

October 04 2011 at 3:51 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
thomasgft

What ?
Being homeless made him a fag.......

October 04 2011 at 3:44 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
captnbrojangles

Ill take Mc Donalds over Penis any day of the week! But thanks for trying to justify your actions

October 04 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
bcurll

Thank you for opening up about what was probably a difficult portion of your life. I will now set my DVD player to watch for you and support the shows and movies that you are in as I'm sure you will get some more negative reactions.

If you ever come to the island of Kauai in Hawaii. I would be happy to sponsor you in one of my triathlons or runs on the island and also get you in a Outrigger Canoe Team Practice. PuuwaiOutriggercanoeclub.org, Or TriKauai.com

Brian

October 04 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bcurll's comment
timothye2

You are an unemployed LOSER, punk.

October 04 2011 at 4:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply