September 30, 2014

'Upstairs Downstairs' Star Jean Marsh Suffers Stroke, Will Miss Filming

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 3rd 2011 8:00AM
Jean MarshMore drama offscreen at the rebooted PBS drama 'Upstairs Downstairs.' It's been announced that star and co-creator Jean Marsh will miss the first few episodes of Season 2 due to illness.

The BBC reports that Marsh has suffered a minor stroke and that scripts are being rewritten to accommodate her absence before filming starts next week.

Marsh, who plays maid Rose Buck, is the only cast member from the 1970s original series to appear in the rebooted version. She won Emmy nominations for her work in the role in 2011, 1974 and 1976, winning the award in 1975.

In a statement, she said "Unfortunately I won't be returning to Eaton Place quite as quickly as I had hoped. I am looking forward to spending time with Rose again when I'm match-fit and I miss the cast and crew tremendously."

The BBC wished Marsh a speedy recovery and said it had "something extra special planned for her new storyline".

'Upstairs Downstairs' executive producer Faith Penhale told the BBC that the cast and crew were looking forward to Marsh's return, adding that "Rose is a much loved, cherished member of the household who was instrumental in bringing everyone together in last year's successful revival."

News of Marsh's illness follows a shakeup at the drama. Marsh's co-creator Eileen Atkins quit over the summer, reportedly because she didn't like the direction the series was going in. She's been replaced by 'ER' and 'Doctor Who' star Alex Kingston, who'll be playing her character's much-younger racy half-sister.

JoanneVLavender

I loved the original and have it on DVD. I watched it on PBS thirty years ago (give or take) and it started my love affair with the BBC. Keeping Up Appearances; I, Claudius, dramatizations of some of England's finest literature...

October 04 2011 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MeritaBread

Wishing you a swift recovery Jean! Loved you and the whole cast of the original series.

October 03 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
badoldtom

Jean Marsh IS the show, looking forward to it.

October 03 2011 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
williemdensc3

She should be listed as one of the Top 10 all time great British actresses .Watch some of the rebooted episode of Upstaris Downstairs and the original.She is one of the reasons the episodes are great.Get well my friend.

October 03 2011 at 6:20 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
racetrked

BE CAREFUL GET WELL LADY

October 03 2011 at 4:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lindaseville

My heart and prayers go out to Jean Marsh. I absolutely LOVED her in the 70s series, which I own and have enjoyed time and time again. I very much look forward to her return in the new series after a complete recovery. Your fans adore you, Jean, get well soon. Cheers.

October 03 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lnelson521

A terrific actress may she recover soon.

October 03 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
mbgclover

Ms. Jean,
GET WELL SOON!

October 03 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
JoJo Morales

Can we lose the term "Reboot" as a descriptor for a remake?

October 03 2011 at 11:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
katydid579

Come back soon, Jean, we miss you!

October 03 2011 at 11:45 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply