September 3, 2014

NBC Cancels 'The Playboy Club'

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 4th 2011 1:22PM
The Playboy ClubNBC has pulled the plug on 'The Playboy Club.' It's the first cancellation of the new fall season.

It will be replaced by Brian Williams' new newsmagazine series 'Rock Center' starting Mon., Oct. 31 at 10PM.

Variety reports that repeats of 'Prime Suspect' will air in the Mondays at 10PM timeslot until 'Rock Center' debuts.

'The Playboy Club' debuted to 5 million viewers and has fallen dramatically since. Its most recent Monday night episode was seen by about 3.4 million viewers. It starred Eddie Cibrian and Amber Heard and told the story of the Playboy club in 1960s Chicago.

In addition to the low ratings and a poor critical response, 'The Playboy Club' was also targeted by the Parents Television Council for being indecent. One NBC affiliate even refused to air the series.

When 'Rock Center' debuts, Williams will be joined by veteran NBC corespondents including Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry, Matt Lauer, Dr. Nancy Snyderman and Richard Engel.

"There's no one more enlightening or personable in the news business than Brian Williams," Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, said in a statement. "We welcome Brian and this fresh new take on a primetime news show to our schedule, especially as we head into an election year."

"'Rock Center' will cover a slightly different world than anything else on television," Williams said. "The format will be good, real, hard journalism -- and then some. We intend to be the new home of quality journalism on a weekly basis, and on the web at all times."

NBC has ordered full seasons of two new comedies, 'Whitney' and 'Up All Night.'

Tell us: Will you miss 'The Playboy Club'?

Pierce

dont like it dont wach it and get on with your life ,you dont have to like evreything on tv,quit messen with a great show,
gust becace you can understand it.I LOVED IT HOPE IT COMES OUT ON DVD OR SOMETHING SOON.

November 29 2011 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

Amber

It was an awesome, I was looking forward to watching it every week. But there are so many people who are close minded and dont ever see the whole picture. The show wasnt just about sex, it was about the how it was back in 1960s. The whole sex and nudity thing is so over rated becuase tis every you look and not just on TV. If you dont want your kids around it then you and your kids should just live in a BOX where there is nothing but walls...great show i miss it

November 29 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leo

This is sick i was watching this show i was looking out everyweek for the show, and over sudden its GONE!! i wait 1 week, 2 weeks, i say to myself wtf? this is a message to the Producers you have a great Product either realese it straight onto DVD or change the name from the show and Air it again, ITS A GREAT SHOW I MISS IT

November 21 2011 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Webb

I loved the playboy club!! Some people are just stupid and not opened minded!!! They should seriously bring it back or put it on another channel!!!

October 16 2011 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shanda Ledin

I for one am happy that the playboy club was cancelled. I'm so sick of these "reality" tv shows showing a bunch of girls acting like complete morons for their 15 minutes of fame. Wake up people, this isn't reality, this isn't entertainment, it's pure stupidity. Perhaps if more shows like this are cancelled (Jersey Shore, Basketball Wives, Real World, etc.) our world can start to learn some respect for women. We aren't all dumb skanks who will take their tops off for anything/anyone.

October 14 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shanda Ledin's comment
wrdn417

Obviously you didn't watch the show at all or you would know it wasn't reality tv. It was a fresh relief from the stupidity of reality tv. It had good actors and a story line that was based on the playboy club of the 60's in chicago. It had lots of potential that fell victim to uninformed small minds

October 18 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shanda Ledin

October 14 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Rashon Wilson

awsome show!!!! big mistake to air it on none cable network... come on I know we have come along way however women hate women and conservative mothers cant relate to the bunnies so you should have known an uproar was coming from the Parents of the television council, believe you me it wasnt the husbands complaining about the show. As a gay male I love the show, but from the moment I seen the first preview I was a little upset because I knew with the boundaries of local tv networks the show couldnt be as good as it should, however after watching the first 3 episodes im pleasently suprised how it all came together. Hopefully a cable network will pick it up, so keep the faith fans!!

October 13 2011 at 9:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ajairley

shame they cancelled this show. Perhaps another chanel might pick it up. they could have at least let us see the end of the murder storyline. Noy very true to life but an enjoyable show.

October 13 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
haugie07

I will miss the playboy club! It was one of those shows that you could just watch and have fun watching it. It wasn't a crime show. It had all the aspects to make a good show!

October 12 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
adamar1

The Playboy Club was one of those rare TV shows today that I could readily enjoy and get immersed in. I have to laugh that the PTC deemed the show indecent. I thought the show was pretty tame compared to so many other shows on TV today. There is plenty of other crap on TV today that the PTC should be more concerned about. I consider a show like NCIS to be indecent because of its graphic portrayal of violence, which I find deplorable. If the Playboy Club had aired on HBO, for example, it might have had a chance. It seems that lack of viewer interest and perhaps timing of the show on Monday evenings killed the show. I would love to see this show revived somewhere--this was not a "happy ending"!

October 11 2011 at 11:15 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply