July 24, 2014

'Supernatural' Set Visit: Jensen Ackles & Jared Padalecki Talk Sam's Wall, Dean's Trial & Going On the Run

by Laura Prudom, posted Oct 5th 2011 10:00AM
Jensen Ackles and Jared PadaleckiSam and Dean have a tough year ahead. In the space of one episode, they lost one of their closest friends, Bobby's house was reduced to smoldering rubble and a powerful new evil emerged to target them. Just another day in the life of the Winchester boys!

AOL TV visited the Vancouver set of 'Supernatural,' where we participated in a roundtable interview with stars Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki.

Join us after the the jump for some insight into the guilt Dean is carrying, how Sam is dealing with his memories of hell and what the Leviathans plan to do to draw the brothers out into the open.

Spoiler alert!

How are Sam and Dean dealing with the events of last week's episode?
Jared Padalecki:
Moving forward as we can, I guess. It's certainly not the first curveball that's been thrown the boys' way. It is a large one, because we're gradually starting to realize and understand that we are losing all vestiges of hope that we've relied on, at least since season four. Gradually, I think it's dawning on Sam and Dean like, 'Hey, we're kind of losing a lot of our lifelines.' Obviously, Sam feels vulnerable because once again he's got something going on in his head and he can't figure out what's real and what's not and what he's going to do about it.

Dean's going to be on trial -- what do you think is the one issue or one person he feels the guiltiest about?
Jensen Ackles: He's got a laundry list of things he feels guilty about, which I think plays into the whole storyline and why he feels the way he does. There's the responsibility of his brother and [Dean] having to watch over him and feeling like he let him down all the time, now there's the whole Cas issue, that he didn't get to him in time and he wasn't able to help him out and to save him. It dates all the way back to his father. I think there's a mound of guilt that has built itself up on Dean's shoulders that he constantly carries around with him and it's difficult, and we're going to exploit that, basically.
JP: I think we find out, with Dean going on trial ... the reason he's going on trial is because of guilt. He's like "Why not Sam? You've done enough: Demon blood and Lilith and you opened [Lucifer's cage] ..." But with the trouble that Sam's now going through, with the Hell wall falling down, I think he understands that he's served his time; he tried to do the right thing over and over again. He's like, "I made a few mistakes, but as far as the teeter-totter goes I think I've done more good than bad, and the scales of justice are still tipped in my favor." So, it's now my job ... it's kind of another flip where Dean's always been taking care of Sam and now Sam's kind of having to say to Dean, "Listen, man -- you're doing your best, you're doing great."

The Season 7 synopsis said something like, "Dean struggles under the weight of a secret that threatens to tear them apart." Does that relate to the trial, or is it something separate?
JA:
That's something separate.

Jensen AcklesCan you tease anything about it?
JA:
[vehemently shakes his head] You know why? Because I don't know. They tease me just as much as they tease you!
[Note: There is another secret that Ackles does know about that is touched upon in this week's episode, but expect that to be resolved fairly quickly.]

If you had to describe the season in broad strokes, knowing what we know now, what would you say?
JP:
I think the basic thing is that it's a return to Sam and Dean with only Sam and Dean. Like, for whatever reason, we're having to go on the run and cut communication in such a way because now, finally, after how many hundred-something episodes, the law enforcement is really on our tracks now. So we can't always be on the phone, we can't always be on the Internet, we can't always be keeping ourselves logged into the world, or even to other friends -- obviously you see what happened to Cas. And gradually, we see more and more like, "Whoa, Sam and Dean are really going to have to go with each other but kind of cut out a lot of other things," from the car to the this and the that. The cops are on to us, the Leviathans are on to us. We need to try and pull out all the stops in order to do what's right.
JA: Yeah, it's Season 7 of 'Supernatural' stripped down -- the acoustic season. Touching on what Jared said, they've taken a lot of the tools of our trade that we've come to rely on over the past several seasons and stripped those away from us. So we're kind of having to get back to the basics of just relying on each other, our wits, our street smarts, all that kind of stuff just to make it through. It's cool, I like it. I mean, it's definitely reminiscent of the first season, which was the season that I know that we fell in love with the show and the people that still watch the show fell in love with the show.

How do the cops catch on to you guys? Jared Padalecki
JP:
How do they not? I think that's the more accurate question!
JA: Well, Leviathans are trying to weed us out, essentially. So they've come up with different scenarios, different schemes to do so. One of them is getting the cops basically put on our trail and really making us America's Most Wanted, which doesn't help us. Because as soon as they know that we are locked up or that we're being detained in some facility, then we're sitting ducks.

Given the emotional scene that you guys had in the warehouse last episode, is there going to be any tension between the brothers as Dean doubts Sam's ability to keep himself grounded in reality?
JA:
I don't think that there's necessarily a lack of trust, I think it's more just keeping an eye out and wanting to be there in case he does slip and fall, and trying to be the supporter that he can be without coddling him, so to speak.
JP: Also, with all the ups and downs Sam's been through, I think he's more concerned now with trying to get his footing again as opposed to calling Dean out, unless it's something that's very important ... I think Sam, first things first, has to fix himself before he can fix somebody else.
JA: In this episode that we're filming right now [Season 7, Episode 8], Dean basically is saying, "Look, you're an adult, I know that you can take care of yourself. You don't need me." He's coming to that realization, which is tough for him because he's always looked out for his little brother. But there is a shift change in the season and Dean understands that he can't babysit him all the time; Sam is his own man and he's dealing with his issues, but at the same time, he's doing a really good job of dealing with it. So Dean's got to understand that and give credit, and he does.

A lot of that is internal as opposed to you fighting monsters -- can you talk about the challenges of playing that and making sure that comes across?
JP:
Well, for better or worse, I think that's what we both have relied on to make this story work. The great thing about Supernatural is that it's in the mythological world of science-fiction and demons ... but I think it's on the plate of very real human emotions and caring for family. We've become such good friends over the years that it's very easy to understand what it means to care about somebody and their well-being, especially to put yourself on the line for somebody else and make sure they're okay. So now we don't lose that. When season one started out, the boys obviously just clashed heads. Now, I think Jared and Jensen have understood with Sam and Dean like, "hey, we're going to have to take care of each other first and these monsters and demons things can come and go," as they do. But it's more important that we deal with the emotional issues.
JA: Yeah, I mean, it's always been a story about two brothers. Whatever kind of craziness comes their way I think that the story always hinges on the relationship of these two guys and what they deal with and what they go through on a human level.

'Supernatural' airs Fridays at 9PM ET on The CW.

Are you intrigued by the concept of Sam and Dean on the run? What secret do you think Dean is keeping? Share your thoughts below!

For more from Vancouver, follow Laura on Twitter.

EricaStone

I would just like to know if Dean has a story that doesn't concern Sam, because I'm rather tired of Dean living his life around Sam and then having to question his reason for living becasue Sam finally grows up after 30 years. I wish Gamble would give Dean a story of his own. That's wha I would like to see.

I also fail to understand whay the PTBs think that retelling a story over and over and over is entertaining. It isn's and Sam Winchester Grows UP is getting rather dull. Not to mention, Sam is becoming quite the hypocrite.

October 19 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexandra

" It really bothers me that somehow Sam thinks his crimes are all paid for and he has nothing to feel guilty about. That's ridiculous and frankly, not very heroic. I don't think he needs to follow in Dean's example and feel guilty for everything, but I'm disturbed greatly that he thinks that he's paid his dues and therefore he doesn't have to feel bad anymore."...i have the same problem :)................my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here MakeCash9.com

October 10 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Broke in westmonroe

OOOOPS I posted the same thing twice soory

October 06 2011 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Broke in westmonroe

I wish sam kinison was still living he would make a great demon on supernatural He could beat on sam and dean and scream at them and vanish before they could kill him.I could see him beating dean down to the ground and then yelling insults at him like he did on his stand-up shows.

October 06 2011 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lanf3

Thanks! You asked just about everything I would have!
I love that the brothers and the road trip are #1 again, though I want the Impala back asap. I've been aching for a return to the old family business!

I'm sort of discouraged that the "secret" is MIA. That tells me it was just guff to calm irate Dean fans like me.

Not very happy that they are forcing Dean to learn - yet again as in every year since season 1 - that he has to "let" Sammy "grow up." Seriously? He's 30 years old for God's sake. Look, writers, you can't have it both ways: either you want Dean to help Sam, or you want Sam to deal on his own. Stop making Dean pay for it, both ways. I'm sick of it.

October 06 2011 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lanf3's comment
Sally Fudge

I know this Sammy thing is boring the **** outta my skull. Besides the fact that he is NOT guilty of anything *eyeroll*

October 10 2011 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MissZann

I'm with Deborah - I've never forgotten how Dean's eyes bled in "Bloody Mary", and I knew he had a pretty bad secret; but it's never been addressed, so I figured that the writers forgot about it! I'm hoping that we will finally find out what it was in this episode...
I know I'm totally excited to find out, whatever it is!

Thanks Laura!

October 06 2011 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fates

Thanks, Laura!!! Enjoyed your article very much and I so appreciate you asking some Dean questions for us!!! I really am not sure about the answers we received though, and how they make me feel about the show. I'm really kind of annoyed that once again we are having Dean being faced with how "awesome" Sam is and that he just needs to "let him go and be awesome" story. Dean's never had a problem letting go of Sam and he's never been an overbearing brother. But it seems like Show wants him to consistently be in the wrong when it comes to Sam. He was wrong for trying to save him from Hell last year (everyone from Bobby to Castiel to Crowley was bashing Dean for it), he barely got a thank you from Sam for it. He's helping Sam deal with hallucinations this year, and he's not even getting a thank you for it in the clip for this week's episode. Sam comes running back to him for protection from Lucifer, and yet on the same hand, he blames Dean for being "bossy" (while Dean is in Hell, no less!) for him running off with Ruby. It's just...Dean can't win when it comes to Sam and being his brother, and it really frustrates me. Maybe if we had some consistent appreciation from Sam towards Dean and everything that Dean has done for him, it would be one thing. But since we don't, I'm just tired of the storyline that always has Dean being in the "wrong" when it comes to the brother relationship, whether he's considered over protective or not protective enough. Enough, already!

And I'm not looking forward to the trial episode anymore. It really bothers me that somehow Sam thinks his crimes are all paid for and he has nothing to feel guilty about. That's ridiculous and frankly, not very heroic. I don't think he needs to follow in Dean's example and feel guilty for everything, but I'm disturbed greatly that he thinks that he's paid his dues and therefore he doesn't have to feel bad anymore. Guilt doesn't equal paying some set price. Redemption isn't deciding you've suffered enough, so you don't have to feel bad anymore. I don't need Sam to wallow, but the idea that his guilt has gone away after all the things he has done (I mean, he just found out that he killed that bartender while soulless. And what about what he did to Dean?) is disturbing. I thought we were done with Soulless Sam last year. I don't need a new variation of it with Sociopath Sam!

The fact that the show got rid of Castiel, supposedly to 'get back to the brothers' and yet are keeping Bobby around, who is in way more episodes than Castiel ever was and is way more of a deus ex machina than Castiel was, is another issue with me.

I don't know. This season seems to be the epitome of redundant, wash'n'repeat, and unfortunately, it's the worst aspects of the show that they are repeating. Very disappointing.

October 06 2011 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

I wonder if Dean's secret could harken back to why his eyes bled in "Bloody Mary"?

I love this season more every time I read something new about it!

October 05 2011 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
improbablone

I'm going to be upset if they start playing the whole 'Sam no longer needs Dean' thing. I'll keep watching the show because it'll still be amazing but that is one part of the story-line that I'll dislike. In all honesty, they need each other. They've made that clear through the last six seasons; Sam still needs Dean and Dean needs Sam. Dean was pretty much the one to raised Sam and with a relationship like that, you don't stop being the big brother, regardless of how old you get. You don't stop trying to protect the people you care about so I really hope they don't take away that dynamic. That was definitely part of what made me fall in love with the show in the first place. In my mind, 'Hello, Cruel World' played the relationship perfectly and I was really excited that bigbrother!Dean was back. I think they need to continue on in that vein and not go anywhere near the whole 'Sam doesn't need me anymore' side of things, because no matter what happens, Sam still needs Dean. You don't stop wanting your big brother. You just don't.

October 05 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
see girl

I don't like the repeat of "Dean failed his brother and feels guilty about it*. They play with it every season and never get any conclusion. Now considering that the only Dean's purpose according to sera is to take care of sam and Dean will realize (suddenly of cours like he didn't expect it) that sam doesn't need him what his purpose will be? Sera made it impossible for Dean to have his own storyline and now he has nothing. There's even no Cas anymore.
Watching how ratings drop with every ep i think in the end of this season there'll be no ine to watch the series if they won't change their attitude and fast.

October 05 2011 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply