July 31, 2014

Got a TV Question? Ask Mo Here!

by Maureen Ryan, posted Oct 6th 2011 12:00PM
It's been too long! We are long overdue for an Ask Mo column. But the fall TV season has finally slowed down -- a little -- and I'll have some breathing space soon, and I plan to use that time to take on questions you have about new shows, returning series and upcoming programs.

Please leave your TV-related questions in the comment area below, or email your queries to me.

I'll pick as many questions as I can reasonably get to and post an Ask Mo column next week.

Frank Parrinello

What, if anything, can you tell us about the new Milch project “Luck”?

October 11 2011 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi Jo : )

Can they put Harry's Law back downstairs in the shoe shop
without adding all those new characters ????

October 10 2011 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
palopaleo

I have no intention of watching "Whitney" ever, but is it in any way possible that NBC's advertising over-blitz for it is meant as an ironic commentary on the worst sitcom cliches ("50% of all marriages end in sweatpants?" Really?) or is it really just a last place network pandering to the "Two and a Half Men" set? Which apparently worked with the full-season pickup. I completely expect my next magazine or Netflix envelope ad to have the tagline, "Whitney on NBC: Black people dance like this. White people dance like this."

October 09 2011 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clhamburger

do you think a shows like Ringer can sustain itself for more than a season?

October 07 2011 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy

Person of Interest - YAWN!! Jim Caveizel is another in a long line of supermen (see Jack Bauer) who can do anything know everything, kill the toughest of baddies. However, I am very disappointed in just how formulaic this show is. I love Michael Emerson, but the show is jut another glorified case of the week crime drama. Caveizel is a charisma free zone but despite Emerson's limp, the ridiculous sub-Minority Report plot device just doesn't work for me. Your thoughts?

October 07 2011 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cathy's comment
palopaleo

Couldn't agree more. In spite of an interesting premise, it's the worst new show that I've actually tried watching this season. Caviezel makes David Caruso look like Philip Seymour Hoffman.

October 09 2011 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JohnR

Hello Mo,

I feel like we are experiencing something great in watching the episodes of Season 4 of Breaking Bad roll out. This is a work of art that is working on every level, that represents human creativity and greatness of spirit in a mostly dark and crazy time, a time of overall cultural decadence. Greatest TV drama? Who can say? But it seems that times have changed since the broadcast of Breaking Bad's closest competitors for that honor, shows like The Wire. Now there are a raft of critics like yourself and the Hitfix boys, plus the weekly podcast from the BB crew themselves allowing us insights into the creative process, both the role of individual genius of Gilligan and Cranston, etc., and the collaborative process that's an even more exciting expression of the muse at work in our time. It's as though new forms of technology and communication have made the cultural process itself more accessible and immediate.

My question: do you agree that this is an exceptionally exciting experience, to be present at the birth of a work of art like Breaking Bad, and how do you feel about the role in this process of critics like you? Let me add that I very much appreciate what you're doing.

October 07 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evilgalprods

Hey Mo! Stipulating that there are several crap shows out this season (and every season), what would you identify as the primary "missing factor" in today's TV fare?

October 07 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gilesgbruce

What are your thoughts on "Dexter"? It's had its ups and downs — I think Season Four was a low point — but for me it's still must-watch TV. Have you given up on it?

October 07 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
O Nikos

Will you please start posting unbiased reviews again?

October 06 2011 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wicker

What's your take on musical episodes of shows? Once More with Feeling was one of the best Buffy episodes, and I know HIMYM did one last season. Like, dislike, thoughts?

October 06 2011 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply