July 31, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' Hits Ratings Low: Fans Share Why

by Maggie Furlong, posted Oct 7th 2011 1:15PM
MerDer: Are they over? Do you care?Now in its eighth season, 'Grey's Anatomy' seems like the Shonda Rhimes engine that could, but have fans had enough of the drama at Seattle Grace?

Last night's ratings were the series' lowest ever, with 8.5 million viewers and a 3.0 rating, down 17 percent, leaving the show in third place for the hour behind 'Person of Interest' on CBS and Fox's 'The X Factor.'

So what gives? Is it just general fatigue, or are there certain storylines that fans aren't on board with? Was this a fluke, or a sign of the end? And can we just keep blaming it all on that musical episode?

With speculation about cast departures still in the air (Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo have both waffled about whether or not they'll return after this season), it's possible that fans are giving up on the show before their favorite stars do. But it's also just as likely the the MerDer relationship has just gone back and forth one too many times.

So I took to Twitter to hear the reasons straight from 'Grey's' fans ...

If you've stopped watching 'Grey's Anatomy,' why? Some Twitter responses:
Ravi Cattry (@RaviCattry):
I stopped watching a while ago. Mostly cuz of the Izzie having sex with a ghost thing & too many new characters.

Fatema Alisha (@FatemaBee):
Because the show has gone to sh*t. All the characters have either heightened the things we hate about them or they had sex with people that they shouldn't have. That got kind of boring after the 26th time.

Zach Clapper (@zachclap):
Last two seasons were great. Can't live up.

Dilys (@Romilys_J):
Still watching tho not live. It's boring this season, miss the original cast who get little screen time.

Nicole (@follow_nicole):
If it aint broke, don't fix it. We love Mer, Bailey Yang, the men are window dressing. Hunt is boring. I'm so over Avery

The TV guy (@kai_gray):
I didn't. The show got itself back together last season IMO. Sure, not the same good old Grey's, but still has good writing.

bill norris (@bnchile4444):
2 or 3 seasons ago, most of the core group i liked watchin are gone, and the story hasnt drawn me in. #Greys

Amy M. (@Ammerk):
I just got tired of the story lines. All the couples seems to do is fight and make up all the time. Show me something new.

CG (@CatherineGailUp):
It's just not fresh anymore. Eight seasons is a long run.

Cathymarie (@Cathymarie55):
Lost interest in it, writing isn't what it used to be, same ole stories nothing new.

Natalie Pearce (@NatNicole1981):
Stopped watching after last saeson. Storylines were dull & refused to sit through another season of the MerDer back & forth ... All in all, I think it's time for the show to wrap up.

Henry Venrick (@theFakeHenryV):
I felt the storytelling got pretty silly the last couple of seasons. The musical episode was kinda the nail in the coffin.

David Clark (@davidclark):
I gave up after the 3rd season, I think. Just got tired of the drama. No longer was enjoyable, just annoying.

Tawna Chancey (@Tawna76):
MerDer back&forth soooo old, I wanna slap them. Killing Denny? Boo. April? YUCK. More Scott Foley please!

PWYJudges (@PWYJudges):
I'm still watching! Last season was such a step up from Seasons 5 and 6, it kept me coming back for more.

What do you think: Are you still watching? And if you've jumped ship, why?

mc

i LOVE grey's.. please bring izzie back!! ithink that is the kind of new drama they need to make it exciting again instead of doing the same old same old with mer and der

February 04 2012 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

I agree Grey's was getting boring for a while but season 8 has been really really good - the last episode before the break was just great and so intense! I cannot wait for tonight's episode!

January 05 2012 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NiCoLe

I have still continued to watch, though yes the storylines are getting a bit boring-and redundant. And I was VERY disappointed that Scott Foley's character died :(

December 03 2011 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NiCoLe's comment
Steph

I cried when he died! I am anxious to see what happens though and how Teddy reacts to his death.

January 05 2012 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

i love this show dont know what im going to do when it ends.

November 30 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
salejo123

I still see it when i can but i will def not go out of my way to catch an episode, i dont mind the mer-der drama but they seriously need to get it together and come up with something new and fresh, plus bring izzie back!

November 17 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oscaralex

I Love Grey's Anatomy, I really hope Mer and Der stay on the show. I look forward to it Every week. It's one of my favorite shows. I have all the DVD's from all the season, I can't get enough of GA. It NEEDS to stay on TV, I will be VERY, VERY upset if it is canceled. I LIKE the new ppl on the show, they are great.
Please, Please don't cancel this show.

November 16 2011 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabrielle

Grey's Anatomy is perfect! I will always watch it no matter what! I've loved the past few seasons and I truly hope they MERDER doesn't leave, but if so.. new residents will move in and the show will continue!

October 16 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marry Angel

I've stopped watching since Addie left the show...

October 15 2011 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leahmaria

I watch Grey's every week. I loved last season, but I had to admit, this season is really getting on my nerves! It's time for this MerDer drama to finish! Can't they just be happy like Callie and Arizona? I love Alex this season, the bad ass with a heart, the Alex I always loved! But I HATE Bailey this season! What is going on with her character, she needs to get over the fact that Webber's not cheif, stop fooling around in the on call room, and I want to see her son appear again, I loved her as the working mom! She also needs to lighten up on the Meredith Hatin'. April needs a love interest. Lexi and Mark should get back together, but I don't mind her with Avery. i still love the show, but if Bailey continues on the way she is, and Meredith and Derek break up or continue this back and forth stuff.... I won't be surprised if the ratings continue to go down.

October 14 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vada-Marie

I still watch every week. I really enjoy the show. There are always going to be some things in a show with a large ensemble cast that you won't necessarily agree with all of them. I would love it if MerDer could pull their act together. I DO NOT want them leaving the show but if they must, can't they at least ride happily off into the sunset- not fall into an angst ridden cavern? And while I'm looking for happy endings, I've always wanted Mark & Callie together. Can't Arizona get swept off her feet by someone else?

October 13 2011 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply