September 19, 2014

'House' Star Charlyne Yi Pisses Off Hugh Laurie By Revealing His Nickname

by Maggie Furlong, posted Oct 10th 2011 4:15PM
Charlyne Yi as Dr. Chi Park, 'House''House' might have been in prison for last week's premiere, but tonight he'll be busting out to help out the gang back at Princeton Plainsboro with a very interesting case.

We've already met Odette Annable's new character. Dr. Jessica Adams (read AOL TV's exclusive interview here), but she isn't the only fresh face around: Charlyne Yi makes her 'House' debut tonight, and her Dr. Chi Park is not your typical TV doc.

I caught up with Yi -- who's best known for a bit part in 'Knocked Up,' her indie screenwriting debut 'Paper Heart' and some comedic storytelling and song-singing on late night TV shows -- to hear more about her character, her adjustment to life on series television and which star she honestly thought hated her on her first day at 'House.'

She also gave away a possible on-set nickname for star Hugh Laurie, who's the Martin to her Lewis ... or maybe vice versa.

I'm excited to see you on TV.
Thanks! I hope other people are, too ... and I hope I am too, because I don't know what my acting is like.

It's a way different schedule -- are you ready for that?
No, I am not ready, but I am taking it one day at a time -- hour by hour, minute by minute. It is crazy, but so fun. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun.

You're a comedian, so is you character stealing all the funny punchlines from House?
Oh yeah -- all mine! All my punchlines! [Laughs] I feel like it's like Martin and Lewis -- there's always funny to both sides, the straight man and the goofy one. I think there are funny situations this season around all the characters, not just Hugh's.

How do we meet Chi Park? What's her specialty?
I actually can't say! Her specialty is being really cool ... and smart ... she has like a really big brain, but like a small physical head. Kind of perfect features.

[Laughs] What's her medical specialty?
Neurology.

Charlyne Yi & Odette Annable, 'House'

Who have you gotten to spend the most time with on the show?
Hugh, Odette and Omar [Epps]. Omar is really funny. I thought he hated me the first day just because I was sucking so bad. [Laughs] I explained to him, "I'm new to this, and I don't know how to memorize lines, I improvise most of the time. I'm sorry." And he was like, "Oh, it's cool." I was just being self-conscious.

What's something behind the scenes at 'House' that fans don't know?
Hugh likes to be called Hubert. [Laughs] No, he doesn't ... man, he'll be pissed if I tell people that!

Was there a lot of hazing for you two new girls?
Just a lot of teasing in general -- all around constant teasing and playfulness.

Tell us: Do you like the new additions to 'House'?

cubes27

i thought charlyne was great.. why is everyone so mad? she is there for a reason you all need to back the **** up

February 27 2013 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emjaydesigner

Charlyne Yi- You do not look like an underwear model and so you shouldn't be playing a doctor on TV.

January 12 2013 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Charlyne Yi: We hate your guts. Please leave us alone. You made my life very very hard, and I really hate you for that. You do not have the talent, the looks, the charisma, the personality, or hardly the humanity to be on tv or on the street for that matter. Please disappear. Thank you.

May 06 2012 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kayra Jordyn

No. No, I don't. Charlyne Yi was right -- she really doesn't know what she's doing. I stopped watching House solely due to the horrendous acting skills of Ms. Yi. I tried once more to watch House a couple of weeks ago and could only make it through the first five minutes before deciding to abandon the series for good. Or at least until the acting is so unbearable the viewers aren't cringing through the dialogue, unable to focus on the story. I'll miss you, House, my crusty old chap. I'll be back as soon as our new friend has been replaced.

April 25 2012 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kayra Jordyn

April 25 2012 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiffsbooks

I love Charlyne! She has a droll sense of humor. She is a very interesting character.

April 24 2012 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

She is so ******* annoying. I want to reach in the tv and sock her in the face, dumb bitch.

February 20 2012 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I so strongly agree with the negative comments about this actress. The acting in this show has always been superb - but Charlene is really bad. Her poor acting has, for me, taken away the reality of the show- and reminds me that it's just a show. What were they thinking. She is the nail in the coffin of House in my opinion.

February 09 2012 at 7:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hovious

She is absoltuely shocking. She is oil in the water of the energy of the cast. Its tragic to watch the writers work so hard to create powerful dialogues and emotional connections between characters only to have it butchered by her. Please distinguish between her fans who will, of course, say how wonderful she is, and the fans of the show who after 8 seasons now struggle to keep any kind enthusiasm for upcoming shows. Was the series not struggling to even have an 8th season? You will kill it with her in it, she cannot act, she cannot express emotion, she cannot stand amongst such a great cast. She dimishes their power, their effect and I even say their acting. You can see Foreman and House struggling to have anything to work off with her. I was so excited that season 8 was a go ahead. I could not wait for it to begin, but now I am nearing indifferent. She has poisoned my favorite dish.

January 27 2012 at 3:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

The idiots in casting did the impossible...they found someone more annoying than Amber Tamblyn...please, please, please get rid of Charlene Yi...she doesn't fit this cast. Uuuugggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25 2012 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply