October 30, 2014

Lifetime Plans 'Steel Magnolias' Remake With All-Black Cast

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 11th 2011 3:55PM
Steel Magnolias RemakeLifetime is planning a remake of the 1989 classic 'Steel Magnolias.' However, it won't be a simple film-to-TV transition. The network is looking to cast an all-black group of actors in the main roles.

According to Deadline, producers Carig Zadan and Neil Meron are looking to cast A-List names in the roles once filled by the likes of Sally Field, Julia Roberts and Dolly Parton. The 1989 film told the story of the bond between a group of women in Louisiana. A TV continuation of the film almost happened on CBS in 1990, but it never took off.

Kenny Leon, director of Sony Pictures TV and Zadan and Meron's Storyline Entertainment's 'A Raisin in the Sun' ABC TV movie, is attached to direct the new 'Steel Magnolias.'

The new film has yet to be given the official greenlight, but Deadline reports Lifetime president Nancy Dubuc is keen on the project and it's on the fast track to production.

Casting has not begun, but could start soon.

Tell us: Do you think this remake is a good idea?

Watch Lifetime's short film anthology 'Five' in full:

baeverett46

Horrible idea. I just can't see Alfre Woodard as Ouizer. The original is absolutely my favorite movie. My husband leaves the house when I'm watching it. And I don't care who was starring in it: black, green, blue, or purple. It will not be as good as the original. That's like remaking M*A*S*H or The Ten Commandments.

September 17 2012 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

It doesn't matter...remake it if you want..Nothing will ever come close to the original. It's a classic..

July 12 2012 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann.ogle

Why not? I love the original and really some of the actresses in the remake. I'd like to compare them. What's the big deal?

July 11 2012 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Warren Chase

i agree with dollydoubleday59. these movies and several more like them are being rerun because there werent any black people. movies like footloose is another example. their ideas should come from within themselves.whites are definitely becoming a minority. they have been since the 60's.

December 09 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dollydoubleday59

No I do not think it is a good idea. They should leave the 22 year old film alone. You cannot duplicate Sally Fields, Julia Roberts or even Dolly Parton. There is no body else like them. Ethnic should not come into this. The film needs to be left alone especially with the fact that this is a true story. White people are becoming a minority because of bringing out every other ethnic group. Please leave this film in its intirety so I can remember the way I saw it.

October 12 2011 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debiro1

I doubt seriously if this remake is being financed BY black people. This sounds like a white idea. And a handful of shows of the same ilk on TBS by the same person (Tyler Perry) does not constitute a plethora of black shows. And BET has mostly done music videos, news, and sports. Not to mention that it too was financed by whites, at least at the beginning if not still. There are NO black shows on non-cable network TV and not much more on cable. So I don't know WHAT Tiffany is talking about.

October 12 2011 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany

Horrible idea absolutely horrible!!!!!!! This movie is a classic, it cannot be redone! How come the black race keeps saying how the white man steps on their toes, and yet they can dance all over everyone Else's toes???? I'm sorry this confuses me, and to the lady who said there are not enough black people on T.V. are you freaking kidding me??? Do you have only like 3 channels? There's BET which is all black television, oh and let me see there is TBS which shows a plethora of black shows by Tyler Perry, HELLO!!!! Tyler Perry does an amazing job, period, but for this woman to say that there are no black people on television that is pushing the card a little too far don't you think?

October 12 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Larry Bishop

Oh my , just can't leave a good thing alone. What's next a Black Superman, or better yet a Black Snow White. It's not enough that they have ruined the integrity of professional sports, now this. Grow a brain!

October 12 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lo La

This is ridiculous! This was not just a movie of fiction. This movie was based on a the play written by the real "Shelby"'s brother as a tribute to his sister and all that she and his family went through. Those sorts of stories should not be remade, recreated or messed with. Doesn't anyone in Hollywood have an original idea left in their head?!?!?!?

October 12 2011 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
switzarch

K8reg has hit on a grand idea! If you like the channel TCM, wouldn't it be superb to see those wonderful movies in a real theater. Robin Hood, The Caine Mutiny, The Searchers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, all of them. Yes! That would be the ticket. That would be spending your $5.00 wisely!

October 12 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply