September 2, 2014

Could 'Downton Abbey' Get a Third Season? Fingers Crossed!

by Maureen Ryan, posted Oct 12th 2011 12:30PM
My alert colleague Chris Harnick sent this 'Downton Abbey' link to me this morning, and it went down like a cup of the Dowager Countess' finest tea.

This Vulture story quotes a UK interview with creator Julian Fellowes in which he indicates that a third season of the period drama might be in the offing.

We've yet to even get the show's second season here in the U.S. (it arrives on PBS Masterpiece Jan. 8, which is 87 days away, and yes, I am counting the days, so sue me). But the show continues to do well in the U.K. where the season 2 is in full swing, and given its hit status, a third season is quite likely.

Fellowes told the Radio Times that, after exploring the Edwardian era in season 1 and World War 1 in season 2, he'd like to follow up with a season set in the Roaring '20s. "In the 20s there are big changes, new inventions, different expectations I can't wait to explore," Fellowes said.

Flappers at the Abbey? Yes, please.

In any event, if my fellow 'Downton' addicts want some clues as to what happens in season 2 (which is, in case you'd forgotten, 87 days away), check out this feature on the show, which includes interviews with cast members Dan Stevens, Michelle Dockery and Elizabeth McGovern. Spoilers ahoy, my fellow 'Downton'-philes!

I'll sign off for now and resume mocking Chris for not having watched 'Downton' yet. Or perhaps I'll just imitate Maggie Smith's Dowager Countess and look down my nose at him and harrumph.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

JohnR

Just watched Episode Three of Season Two last night (through some magic means) and remarked to my wife that Season Two is definitely better than Season One. Don't think these are really spoilers. The Great War is shuffling social relations in complex ways, and key characters are more gray, less black and white. Faithful, steadfast love in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles, that we are ennobled through our suffering: I find that very moving. Not like anything on American TV.

October 13 2011 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie Egan

Why wait for the PBS version? It's well known they trim the UK version down as they see fit, - though I don't know why as they control their own programming so who cares if an episode runs 65 minutes vs. 55? Anyhoo. I'm watching the British version this time around as it airs over there. Highly recommend. It's better than trying to avoid spoilers on the internet for three months.

October 13 2011 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Ranapia

I don't see why you need to cross your fingers, Mo - as I understand it, Downton Abbey has been a huge critical and ratings success for ITV in the UK with strong overseas sales. It's not a cheap hour of television drama by UK standards, but I'd say short of Julian Fellowes getting run over by a suffragette, the commission for a third series is as close to a certainty as anything in television.

October 12 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrienne Scott Gilbr

I'm counting the days until it's here in the US too. I'll be buying the season on iTunes again. Hopefully once again they'll have the UK version available to us so we won't see the PBS butchered version.

October 12 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yo Yo

Great news though I still don't understand how this show won all those Emmys for Best Miniseries. It's obviously not a miniseries.

October 12 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen Lawler

A. the second season is AWESOMESAUCE. B. it's quite the hit over here, where it benefits from the post X Factor audience and the fact that it is, in fact, awesome (see point A). C. Given the ratings and ITV's crop of dramas, I think they'll keep ordering new series as long as Julian Fellows is willing to write them and the cast is willing to act in them...regardless of US response

PS I just had to watch Godsford Park last week to keep myself going inbetween Sunday night episodes.

October 12 2011 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply