December 18, 2014

Get Ready for McTV: McDonald's to Launch In-Store TV Channel

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 17th 2011 7:15AM
Big Mac and friesYou want a side of TV with those fries? If so, great news: McDonald's TV channel could be coming to a fast-foood restaurant near you.

The 'Los Angeles Times' reports that the burger giant is launching its own in-store TV channel over the next few months, with content provided by reality TV impresario Mark Burnett ('Survivor'), BBC America and KABC-TV Eyewitness News.

The concept has already been trialled in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Diego, and the company aims to have it up and running soon in over 800 branches of McDonald's in Southern and Central California. With an audience estimated at a Big Mac-tastic 18-20 million viewers each month, the new channel could land one of the largest daytime audiences in the area.

McDonald's TV is a joint venture between McDonald's and ChannelPort Communications LLC. If it's successful it could be rolled out in restaurants nationwide, and it will also include interactive elements on Web and mobile platforms.

Leland Edmondson, founder of ChannelPort, said "The intention is to catch and engage the customer, and then enhance their experience. The McDonald's customer is everyone, and we want not to be passive viewers but to be active and participatory with this network."

The programming will be shown in a one-hour cycle consisting of installments or "pods" lasting around 20 minutes. McDonald's charitable causes and schemes such as "The McDonald's Achievers" will be featured as well as local news and programming. For each hour of programming there will be around eight minutes of advertising, including one and a half minutes of McDonald's ads.

Burnett will generate content covering fashion, art, music, night life, lifestyle and culture via his digital production company, Vimby, which uses a network of more than 150 filmmakers in 40 cities. "We believe there are so many screens in America that people are able to watch on and aggregate," Burnett said. "And it's more than sitting at home watching TV. Our company can do digital content on a national scale but with a local focus."

The introduction of TVs marks a change of direction for McDonald's, which is seeking to promote its restaurants as places to linger and spend time with family and friends. To this end, participating restaurants will have "quiet zones" where you can continue to dine without TV.

Those customers who do want to watch TV while they eat will have two high-def 42- to 46" screens, which will be visible from 70 percent of the dining areas. Audio will be heard from the screen or ceiling speakers.

denny

Haven't been in a Mcdonalds (or any other fast food burger joint) since they switched from fresh cut , to frozen fries back in the early 70's. Now I have another reason not to go there!!!!

October 17 2011 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegibbshow

Soon there will be a McMainline area, where you can intravenously get your dose of artery clogging junk, while huffing McPaint fumes and playing the in-store video game McDomination of Your Sole! How can you be Pro-Life and keep sticking this junk down your obese child's neck?

October 17 2011 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
E-Dude

I thought they were going to say that they were actually going to make their meat patty actually taste like something.

October 17 2011 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jc2009USA

Subliminal brain washing...just what we need - related to eating something unhealthy and fattening to an already obese America...

McDonald's if you are going to do subliminal brain washing why not do it related to world peace, religious and personal freedoms, gobal warming awareness, something that might actually sink in and help make a difference around the world.

October 17 2011 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Oh, man, really? )-: I visit McDonald's a couple of times a week because it's right next to my campus and is cheap. I don't want a bunch of useless noise blasting my ears when I'm trying to eat.

October 17 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dragondancer1814

Doesn't matter; I'm usually too busy chatting with someone else to pay attention to the idiot box anyway.

October 17 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Whew....I saw the picture of the Big Mac and the headline only said that McDonalds has shocking announcement. I thought they were doing away with the Big Mac. Almost put me in panic mode. I can remember when a group of us would go bowling and bowl 2-3 games, then go to McDonalds and order Big Mac, Fries, and large Coke for $1.01. We had a great night out for around $5.00. I stare at the menu at Mickey Dee's for several minutes and always end up getting the Big Mac...just my all time favorite. As for the in-store-TV...no biggie...usually have the grandkids with me when I'm there anyway.

October 17 2011 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rossnattie39

Yep, this is just another way to get our incredibly overweight country to spend even more time in fast food restaurants...gorging themselves to death. Hey why not, it's America...smh!

October 17 2011 at 10:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rossnattie39's comment
Sharon

Hey, nobody MAKES you eat at McDonald's. Their food is cheap, & good, & happens to be fattening. But, as adults we have the choice of whether to eat it or not. Just like the cigarette companies. Nobody MADE people start smoking.

October 17 2011 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slsev54

I'm out. I hate TV during meals.

October 17 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Tracie

What's so shocking?

October 17 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tracie's comment
Sharon

I agree! They're getting like Huffington Post~attention grabbing headlines, then no substance to the story!

October 17 2011 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply