April 21, 2014

'Pan Am' Running Low on Ratings Fuel: Fans Explain Why

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 17th 2011 2:40PM
Pan Am RatingsOne of the most anticipated new fall shows has quickly become one of the lowest rated. What happened to 'Pan Am'?

After debuting to more than 11 million viewers, 'Pan Am' is shedding viewers week after week. The Sun., Oct. 16 episode was watched by 5.9 million viewers with a low 1.8 in the 18-49 rating. That's quite some ratings turbulence for 'Pan Am.'

So why are viewers abandoning the ABC period drama? Are you still watching? And if not, why not?

Fans share their thoughts via Twitter and Facebook after the jump ...

The responses we got varied from viewers being completely done with the series, people loving it and those watching it later in the week on DVR.

Leigh Jackson (@noisydogstudio):
have it on my dvr. not sure if I should start watching for fear it will be canceled.

Amanda Pham (@Mandy_Mouse):
I'm watching b/c of the time period and its aesthetic. The stories have potential but they need to raise the stakes. #PanAm

Denise Simpson (via Facebook):
I watched it the first couple of times, thought it'd be a cool show but I found it very boring. The show that I did like was 'Charlie's Angels' is yanked, go figure.

Erin McCulley (via Facebook):
PAN AM ROCKS!!!! they better not cancel it.

Steven (@placebohigh):
Still watching #PanAm but usually wait a few days to watch it. Nothing seems to be happening.

Kristal Bailey (@kristal_bailey):
I quit it! It was pretty, but boring. All flash and no substance, I'll be watching TWD and maybe Once Upon a Time on Sundays instead

Megan Healey (@megceratops):
They lost me at the second episode. The pilot was outstanding & then I was bored the next week. Bored enough to quit. Shame.

Holly Martin (via Facebook):
It had potential...but, it seems to have the same theme each week and there hasn't been good character development. Oh, well.

Raezilla (@Raezilla):
If there was something better on Sunday night, I wouldn't watch PanAM but there isn't. It holds my attention, for a bit.

LindaSeide (@SeasideTV):
I'm very much enjoying #PanAm! Love the intrigue mixed with the fluff.

Hide The Remote (@HideTheRemote):
Last nite's ep is on my DVR. I rly like the show, but it's got a lot of Sun. nite competition. Could just be delayed viewers.

Dale Roe (@djroe):
All style; no substance. Still, I was on board until the stupid spy plot kicked in.

AnomJo (@AnomJo):
Gave up after third epi. Nice pilot but went downhill.

Lisa Chang (@MSLisaChang):
the commercials were better than the show. I fly a lot, even crew have checked out. Stopped carrying my swag bag. #panam

Colleen Harris (@cdawg2610):
still love it! love the storytelling and actually find it a fun, light show to watch after The Good Wife! but I also have no faith in ABC actually giving a different show a chance so I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop

Tell us: Are you still watching 'Pan Am'?

Celeste Massay-Kanne

i like the show it was different , I hope it returns

July 29 2012 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Efrain

I would like to see Pan Am back , I loved everyting about the show.

May 11 2012 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yimara

I totally agree with StreetWeyeZ and i also had to catch it in OnDemand due to my work schedule. I couldn't wait until the new episode show up in OnDemand. There is nothing good to watch on TV, all you get is junk other than this show.The only thing I didn't like much was the focus on the spying, it was a little too much! but i guess that was the balance in the show between drama and action. Anyways, bring it back!! I LOVE THE SHOW!!! I am dying to see what happen between Colette and Dean!!!

March 08 2012 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StreetWeyeZ

I love Pan Am. So disappointed to go on Comcast On Demand and find the show is no longer listed. Pan Am is very visually appealing, and while the introductory episode was very mild (it fulfilled its purpose in introducing), stick through a few episodes and you really become fond of the characters and show. And i love that it's not over-dramatic, the acting is casual too so it feels more real than the typical over-the top drama. Though Pan Am has its sexiness and some climax to its content, in my opinion, Pan Am has dropped audience only because America is too spoiled by intense flashes of sex, violence, and drama to appreciate a lighter show (I mean- vampires, cheating wives and zombies... seriously?). I recently got my friend into it in just one episode, and its a shame we won't be able to finish the series because our schedule only allows us to watch it on demand. Keep Pan Am on, people will catch on to it.

March 07 2012 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treehuger3612

I LOVE PAN AM!!! my mom always has to record it for me since I'm going to bed at 10 because I have to wake up at 5 in the morning. I love the characters and excitement. I also like that its light so I can just relax and watch it. Please ABC don't cancle it because I'll promice you me and my family wont be watching GCB.

March 01 2012 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chez Crisden

pan am is fantastick/fabulous show to watch
don't cancel it.

February 09 2012 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marji

Loved Pan Am at first, but it's become boring and "campy." Too much emphasis on the spy thing. Would like to see characters developed better, more emphasis on actual happenings on planes (more about passengers, emergencies, etc.).

February 08 2012 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon McKeon

Please don't cancel!!! i set my DVR for this to watch on Mondays when i get home from work, I can't always stay up to watch it on Sunday nights. I have been waiting for a new episode, but none so far :( Please bring this back!!!!!!! :)

January 04 2012 at 2:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Georgia Walker

I like the show. I grew up during that era so I like the history part. The spy part is too weird. It is unbelievable. I also liked Charlie's Angels.

January 01 2012 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trusthimnow76

I agree the show needs a chance to grow. The characters are very likable and bring tons to the table. Where the show has really lost my interest at times is when the focus has been on a meaningless relationships, and poor values when it comes to their promiscuity, and playing it off as "love" rather than building relationship on courage and values. The final episode was brilliant in bringing that to life where everyone wanted to kiss the pilots and the Berlin episode also was very passionate. In other episodes, however, some of the cast come off as dirty, almost slime baggish. The president of Pan Am's wife having an affair with the pilot, or a stewardess so in control that she loses herself a military boy. Even if those are true, they are not what I want to see. You have enough of that crap in real life I do not want to turn on tv to see more it. Lastly, the whole secret agent thing to keep a cold war cold, is a fun idea. and was developed well at the outset, but in time it has become an after thought and frankly almost lost. I enjoy the fact that it keeps the viewer guessing and trying to figure out a bigger picture, but it has just been all over the place. As a viewer, I realize there needs to be character development and showing how each had arrived at Pan Am was really done well. My hats off to the writers for doing a great job on that. Thumbs down on spending 15 minutes of 45 minute show in search of a wedding ring, not important. Berlin and families separated by the war, very important. Thumbs down on spending 15 minutes of a 45 focusing on a sentimental seaman, not important. Rescuing a girl from a war torn country against all rules, and placing themselves at risk, very important. We want heroes, with high moral character, shown to us in everyday people, as an example that we all might strive to be better. The MTV generation with all the filth needs to laid to rest and time to return to where virtue and a good name means more than life, money, or happiness

December 04 2011 at 6:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply