April 23, 2014

'The Good Wife' Season 3, Episode 4 Recap

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 17th 2011 12:30AM
The Good Wife Season 3, Episode 4 Recap['The Good Wife' - 'Feeding the Rat']

I'm waiting to be wowed.

Yes, Season 3 is just beginning to set things up, but after such a thrilling Season 2, it's very easy to let impatience take over.

Starting the episode with the crime and having viewers see the accused was innocent was a nice twist. One person "saw" the crime and said the real witness did it? Yeah, OK. Can you get more blatantly obvious? If there's one thing 'The Good Wife' audience has proven time and time again it's that they're smart. To me, this was a sloppy story. It brought the entire episode down.

Also, is 'The Good Wife' starting sweeps early? Lisa Edelstein, Harvey Fierstein, Romany Malco and last, but certainly not least, John Lutz from '30 Rock' all appeared in this episode. LUTZ!

It was nice to have a break from the Will/Alicia stuff ... well, sort of a break. Let's talk about that "I love you" call. I think we're building to an implosion of sorts. Whether one of them sets it off or somebody else finds out, that's up in the air. Something's got to go down soon, otherwise it'll get stale fast. You can't put a character like Alicia Florrick in a holding pattern after the past two seasons. This will hopefully be a growth experience, not the be all and end all for Alicia.

Enter Romany Malco. The 'Weeds' veteran and Alan Cumming sharing the inevitable scene? Yes! Diane having more screen time now that her passion, legal aid, is at Lockhart/Gardner? Yes!! Changes at the firm keep the show fresh.

Is Celeste supposed to be a likable character? Her scene with Peter and Will was irritating and really uncomfortable, but then kind of amusing. Peter and Will were bound to run into each other. Kudos to the actors for making me want to back away slowly to avoid the tension.

Kalinda doing what she does best was a welcome sight. I missed having her dig around places. With the addition of more characters, I'm hoping Kalinda won't get the shaft. Think they'll ever deal with her husband?

I cared more about the case this week than the last few, but the spark is missing. From the missed opportunity with the opening crime to the character juggling, I'm missing the way Season 2 made me feel. I didn't gasp once this episode! Not even when Will told Alicia he loves her. However, I have faith that there is something amazing waiting in the wings. Somebody just needs to remind me patience is a virtue!

What do you make of Alicia not saying "I love you" back and refusing to talk about it? Do you feel like Season 3 is heading in a good direction?

Gasp count: 0

'The Good Wife' airs Sundays, 9PM ET on CBS

Follow Chris on Twitter.

chol310

I think the real chemistry is between Alicia and Peter. I think we should see much more Chris Noth. Will and Alicia? OK, but no real future there.

October 23 2011 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
changedmoon

not the best episode . i really dislike the will and alecia story only thing good was the end scene with legal aid being added to firm to bad its only tv . this would never happen in real life in todays greedy climate..

October 18 2011 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sveskas

i thought this was the best episode yet, out of the season!!! i dont think somethings off i just think the writers are leaning more towards drama side.. (this is a drama series)... i love alicia and will..... excited for colin sweeney ohhhhhh he's a creepy one... 1 hope is tht they dontt have to much dramaticness cus after all the show was built on the story of a politicans wife!!! w.e. luve this show with a burning passion and i cant deny it :)

October 17 2011 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mhmason1969

I think Celeste is supposed to be over the topish, deliciously obnoxious, guilty pleasure character that you loathe to love. Not only due to apparent lack of redeeming qualities, but also because of the gender double standard. Lisa Edelstein is doing a brilliant job, only an actress with tremendous range, depth and shining personality of her own can pull this off.

October 17 2011 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Why is Kalinda doing the work that the Chicago PD is suppose to be doing? Are the Chicago PD that inept?

I think the show is slowly moving away from legal cases that has gotten way predirctable to something more soap opera-ish. I think there is so much to explore here, between the characters, without being bogged down by the case of the week.

October 17 2011 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mike's comment
Jimmy

I have to agree. Something is off this season. Make me think their suffering from the Moonlighting curse. Felicia was a more interesting character last season. Too much time is being wasted on Eli and his boring stories and the cases are something out of 80s television.

October 17 2011 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply