July 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Bill Rancic Tells 'Today' That Giuliana Is Doing Well After Cancer Surgery (VIDEO)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 20th 2011 9:45AM
Giuliana Rancic shocked Ann Curry when she announced live on Monday's 'Today Show' that she has breast cancer. The next day she underwent a double lumpectomy and had some lymph nodes removed, and her husband Bill spoke to Curry this morning about the surgery and how his wife's doing.

Bill said they're both doing okay, and that Giuliana expects to return to work next week. He also thanked viewers at home on her behalf for all their support: "It's definitely helped Giuliana get through this." The two-hour surgery went well and Giuliana is now recuperating at home.

Bill said that although it was "heartbreaking" to see her have to undergo the surgery, "we're looking at this as a gift" because the cancer was detected in the very early stages. He also said it's helped the couple focus on what's important in life.

Because she had surgery on both breasts, Giuliana had a lengthy MRI and mammogram before the lumpectomy, during which guidewires were inserted so that the surgeon knew exactly which pieces to remove.

Praising his wife as "a trouper," Rancic acknowledged the strain that she's been under for the last 18 months. The couple's reality show, 'Giuliana & Bill,' has chronicled their recent journey throught the world of fertility doctors and IVF treatment.

Giuliana will learn tomorrow if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes and will then embark on a six-week course of radiation therapy. Then, said Bill, they will look to 2012 "with a new outlook on life and we're ready to take on the world."

Information about breast cancer detection, treatment and support can be found online at The National Cancer Institute, at National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and at The Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Follow Catherine on Twitter

devinmcmusters

It's a shame such a hot chick is wasted on such a gay guy.

October 20 2011 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Awesome news. G has a great support system. I am so pulling for her.

October 20 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ksp056

They appear to be a very nice couple and I pray a baby will be placed in their lives. Being a breast cancer survivor, early stage and at the same age thirteen years ago, I don't understand why she is not being treated with chemo. I had it in one breast. Finding it in both breast's is concerning to me. Especially if it is the same type of cancer in her other breast. There are different types of breast cancer and it is better to have two different types, than the same, for best overall outcome. My treatment included a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. With all of the side effect's of chemo, I still am confident my doctors made the right decision for me. Wishing them the best. Guiliana and Bill will be in my thoughts..

October 20 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evienoel

I think that the press is over doing this story. Women should be encouraged to get the BEST long term treatment not what is popular or cheaper. My mother had both removed and lived many years and did not die of breast cancer. I have already made the decision that if it happens to me, I will have both removed. BOOBS are not worth the stress and waiting for the cancer to return. Women do your research on lumpectomy's...

October 20 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tamra

Wow, I did not understand until now that "both" breasts were involved but despite that, her chances are still good. My mother survived bilateral breast cancer, radiation the first time and later chemotherapy when it showed in her other breast. And she was only 32 yoa when she had her first breast removed and 36 when she had the second removed. Giuliana has a wonderful husband in Bill there is no doubt she chose the right man to stand by her. He seems so geniune and good natured. God Bless you Giuliana and Bill and I wish you a speedy recovery.

October 20 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skykingjj

So Sad! I emailed her 1 year ago and begged her not to do IVF - I have 8 friends who did HRT and/or IVF all got breast cancer - One has passed at 38 years the others are fighting it. This unnatural remedies are not for everyone, it is always a risk! I love their show and now I am heartbroken

October 20 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy Ridge Ruvo

Eight years ago I went through the same thing, scarey doesn't even describe the feelings while going through all the treatments. I'm still here and doing well.( better than well, I now appreciate life much more) My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone beginning this life changing journey

October 20 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rose

Hopefully all will go well for her. She is a womderful and kind person. God Bless her and her family..

October 20 2011 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maggie

I had the same thing....lumpectomy, took out lymphnodes, and one lymphnode came back positive for cancer cells. I am now into my 3rd week of radiation, so hopefully after this and 5 years of hormones I will be ok. It;s weird to read about a celebrity going thru the same thing, but it is good attention. I am 51 and have been told by women..." Oh I am not 40 yet, too young for a mammogram". Giuliana is 37 !!!! GO GET MAMMOGRAMS LADIES !!!!!

October 20 2011 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jlm9

The outlook of lumpectomy followed by radiation is not good..Unfortunately, even without lymph node involvement many of the cancers return..in this case, both breasts were involved. I am very surprised that she did not have a double mastectomy. I hope she is one of the lucky ones because most aren't that lucky..and once it returns, it is a bigger problem..

October 20 2011 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply