November 28, 2014

Regis Philbin Hints Contract Talks Led to 'Live!' Departure, Insists He's Not Retiring

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 21st 2011 3:35PM
Regis PhilbinRegis Philbin is not retiring, he's just moving on from 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.' The legendary talk show host called Detroit's Mojo in the Morning radio show to set those rumors straight.

"I'm not calling it quits, you understand," he said. "I'm moving on. I'm not retiring. I'm not quitting. I'm moving on."

Philbin is leaving his 'Live!' post after 28 years with the morning program on Fri., Nov. 18. However, he seems to be painting a picture that it wasn't exactly a mutual split. When asked if contract talks had a hand in his exit, Philbin didn't exactly deny the rumors.

"The contractual issue just never worked out," he said, "but I was going to leave before that anyway."

Philbin confirmed the radio hosts' sentiments that the show was making a mistake in letting him go. "Of course it's a big mistake, but Regis is moving on."

No replacement for Philbin has been named, but rumors have put everybody from Kelly Ripa's husband Mark Consuelos to 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst behind the 'Live!' desk with Ripa.

"You don't know how difficult it is to keep a situation going on a show like that that has no writers, that has no meetings," Philbin said. "You just go out there and you do it. I could do that because I've done it for 50 years -- that's the way that I like to do it. But that doesn't mean it's right for everybody else."

One thing Philbin is sure of is this isn't the last you've see of the 80-year-old entertainer. While he doesn't have any projects in the cooker just yet, he's got his eyes set on a new timeslot.

"I don't care about going up against ['Live!'], no," he said. "I'm looking at something else besides 9 o'clock in the morning. Maybe in primetime."

Viewers will recall Philbin dominated primetime while hosting 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' on ABC in the early 2000s. In September, Philbin told USA Today he shot a pilot.

"There are several things that interest me," he said. "You know these reality shows? I would love to do a real reality show where Regis goes out."

At the time, Philbin said he was waiting to see a final edited version before he committed to the project completely.

Reeg didn't mention the project when the radio hosts asked about his future. "I've got nothing lined up," he told Mojo in the Morning. "I don't want anything lined up, yet. I want to have a few moments of peace alone before I get involved with somebody else."

Tell us: Are you sad to see Regis Philbin leave 'Live! With Regis and Kelly'?

Robert Stempin

The show is a 'tired' format now that Regis has gone. Same old drab set and it seems the interviews are getting really dull. I have no interest in watching this show now. Kelly cannot handle this show by herself and the 'guest' hosts are trying hard. I am also tired of watching that obnoxious wheel game. Going out of town is NOT going to make any difference! Sometimes I don't know what is in the mind's of these executives! And Regis...that is what you get after all your years of great entertaining! Their loss will be another networks gain. Hang in there.

December 28 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Stempin

December 28 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Litehse

Yes, I am disappointed that Regis left the show! But, I do love Kelly but it will never be the same without Regis...Instead of ABC putting a plague in front of the building as they did, ABC should of ageed on a contract since Regis started the show 28 years ago...I have watched Regis since his days in San Diego and just followed him where ever he went...I love Regis he is a special unique man and wonderful to watch and hear. It will be a sad day if the show doesn't keep up and is lost I don't wish that for Kelly. Regis and Kelly were a wonderful team!

December 21 2011 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zakonz

Lose Kelly Ripa, she is so phony and put on.
Her smiles are fake and she looks like an elf who would destroy your day.
She tries too hard at being a jerk.
With Regis gone, she won't last.

November 10 2011 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

I am sad to see Regis leave. He and Kelly made a great mix. It will be a struggle for the show to go on without him. Kelly is a great co-host but when other people filled in for Regis, the show was disappointing. To me, Regis is an Icon equivalent to Johnny Carson. I hope the best for Live and Kelly. Regis you have devoted your life to entertainment. I wish you well.

November 08 2011 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hairblondeyesblu

YES I AM SADDENED THAT REGIS IS LEAVING THE SHOW,I THINK KELLY AND REGIS MAKE THE SHOW WITHOUT BOTH TEATHER IT WON'T EVER BE THE SAME

November 08 2011 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lou

I am sad to see Regis leave. He is the reason I watch the show. No one can replace him. When he leaves I will no longer watch the show.
I really don't care for Kelly Ripa and I don't think any other male host will fill Regis Philbin shoes.
I wish Regis Philbin Good Luck in your new endeavors.

November 04 2011 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigdadd104

when he leaves ,have him take kelly along.she wants to the big shot on the show.

November 01 2011 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fripperb

Big mistake to let Regis leave the show, he is the best and he and Kelly are a team that cannot be matched.

November 01 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DeDe

nobody can replace Regis and the dynamic he has with Kelly it is so natrual and at times silly and poignant.I think he is making a mistake and so is the network...ABC in general is making all kinds of mistakes putting on stupid
inane programs...and getting rid of the soaps for the Chew...how much can u watch people eating and patting
themselves on the back.