October 21, 2014

'The Walking Dead' Season 2, Episode 2 Recap (VIDEO)

by Mike Ryan, posted Oct 23rd 2011 10:01PM
'The Walking Dead'['The Walking Dead' - 'Secrets']

So ... for as much as I enjoyed the slow pace of last week's episode, especially when contrasted to the ridiculousness of the end of last season, I have to say: OK, I get it. This isn't last season. We're taking it slow!

So, yes, Sophia is still lost in the woods. And the group is still looking for her. There's your recap, folks! Hope you enjoyed it!

Kidding. And that's not to say that I don't like what's going on. I mean, yes, Carl was shot, so now we have a missing child and an injured child. It's all about the children! (Also, is it wrong that I keep wanting to refer to Carl as Bran?)

We did get to see a flashback of Shane informing Lori that Rick had been shot -- which went down pretty much like you would imagine, so I have no idea why we, as an audience, really needed to see that play out. Then Lori told Carl. We didn't hear what she told him, but Carl started to cry. I can only assume that Lori simply told Carl that his father had been shot, or that she said something along the lines of, "someday soon, you will be shot, too." Which, I doubt, but that would make me cry, too. But other than that, what is there really to talk about? Oh, yeah: AIDS.

Boy, that was a weird conversation, right? Poor Rick, just stepping out on the porch to get some fresh air while his son is in critical condition -- maybe shake off the wooziness from the blood transfusion. Oh sure, some small talk with the kindly doctor veterinarian doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, this is the man who gives Bran (dammit, there I went and did it – I'm not going to correct it, I'm just going to leave it there for the world to see as an example of my foolishness) his only chance of survival. It wouldn't be the worst thing to know what makes this guy tick.

"So, pretty crazy with all of these monsters trying to eat us, right?" I paraphrase, but that seems like a reasonable topic of discussion by Rick, considering current events and all. "Yeah, it reminds me of AIDS." Wait, what? How in the world does this at all remind anyone of AIDS? OK, look, I kinda get what he was saying, but to not see the difference between a disease that can kill you and a disease that causes you to want to eat me is ... actually quite remarkable.

What else? Let's see ... oh, yeah, there's poor T-Dog who has a nasty blood infection. You know, he has a pretty good attitude about the whole situation, all things considered. When he started laughing about his predicament, I actually could relate. I was in a bad auto accident once (I'm fine!) that involved the car that I was in overturning down an embankment. After the ambulance arrived and I was strapped to a gurney, one of the EMT's yelled, "Hey, there's a brown recluse spider on his chest, get it off of him!" And, yes, I laughed. As blood was gushing from my head, I honestly thought that was the funniest thing that I had ever heard. I survived an overturned car, but I was going to die from a spider bite. Thankfully, Merle had a tendency to get the clap, so T-Dog found his antibiotics. (Also, thankfully, I wasn't bitten by a brown recluse spider, in case you were on the edge of your seat there.)

The rest of the group: Well, they walked around in the woods. Oh, Andrea was attacked by a lone walker (every time, I can't help but wonder, what's that guy's story? Then I realize that he's just wandering around in the woods, too, and I'm already watching people do that). That was weird. I mean, it didn't seem like she had really wandered that far off from the rest of the group. And not even Daryl could save the day with a trusty arrow through the head. Daryl always saves the day with an arrow through the head. Instead, she needed the assistance of a baseball bat-wielding woman on a horse who has really good timing. After dropping Lori off at the house, perhaps she can show up next week just in time to help Shane and Otis with her magical baseball bat, because those two seem to be in a pickle. (Also, I love that now there is a character on this show named Otis.)

I get it. The show's budget was cut and there are a lot more episodes this season. So, yes, there's no urgency. But this is such a weird show because I'm not even sure what I'm rooting for. Just for the group to stay alive? I guess?

I mean, I don't think Daryl is going to stumble upon a cure for the epidemic in Merle's gonorrhea medicine bag, so I'm not rooting for any of these people to develop a cure. For as boring as the C.D.C. was last season, at least it was a destination. This season I don't even know where they're going, honestly. And when I write that sentence, sadly I'm not sure if I mean to direct that more at the characters or the showrunners.

You?

You can contact Mike Ryan directly on Twitter.

aspeedwolf01

it would nice if u guy have 2 episode, 2 season of the walking dead to see, thanks.

October 29 2011 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aspeedwolf01

October 29 2011 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpiderHam

Will Otis make it thru the rest of the season or will he die by episode 3 or 4?

October 29 2011 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

I am rewatching the first season with my wife, who is watching it for the first time and in watching it again I think that the Zombies all have a slight memory as long as they stay "home"

The mother who got bit in the first episode, constantly tried to go back in the house. The two guys who sat on the bus I chalked up to being constant commuters (pretty easy conclusion in a city). The soldier Zombie made his way back inside the tank. Then in the first episode of season 2 there were a couple people sitting in the church. They were probably regular church goers whose body was so used to going to church that even though they can't think they are repeating muscle memories.

This makes a lot of sense as Zombies who leave there regular home, just constantly meander around.

October 25 2011 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rick's comment
jessieleah

I'm glad you brought up the things engrained in people so deeply that it just becomes part of them - I like the muscle memory reference. The people in the church was specifically talked about last week. I agree that it just becomes so deeply part of the person, no matter what it can't be separated from the person even in death. People sitting in church, the mother returning to her home, etc.

October 25 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tabitha

my best friend's sister makes $67 every hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her income was $8278 just working on the computer for a few hours. Here's the site 4c3.de/LpK

October 24 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Caballo Blue

It's boring. I know the die-hard fans get hysterical when someone says this show is boring, but it is boring. I don't really care about any of the characters. None of them are interesting and some, especially the women, are unlikable. But the biggest problem is that no one gets killed. It's a zombie show! People should get killed and eaten. It's unpleasant, boring people bitching at each other and then going, "Shhh...." and sneaking away from Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Only zombies get killed. It's like a video game with zombies as target practice. The show isn't frightening or tense in the least. It's a Lifetime channel movie with zombies. Call me a purist, but I much prefer the old-school zombies to this. http://caballoblue.com/vampiresblog/2011/10/24/zombies/

October 24 2011 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Caballo Blue's comment
Piecar

Well, Blue Horse, it's the thing about tv. The characters can't just get eaten every week. There'd be no characters. Just like The A-team, can't get killed in a car crash every week, or one of the Regan family can't get shot every week. To tell the truth, there are VERY few zombie oriented deaths in the source material either. And they really ARE taking it slow to the zombie deaths that actually DO happen.
I one hundred percent agree that it really has turned into a little bit of a soap in some spots. Again, the source material follows this path. Currently, in the comic, we've had three issues that basically take place over one day, with a bunch of angsty people angsting all over the place about relationships and the like. Kirkman HAS said this isn't a zombie series, but a series that takes place in a zombie world. He seems to want to hold to that. While I quite like the show--because I like the post apocalyptic element as much as the zombie element--I agree that it needed to spice things up. With the exception of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE(killed off screen) we've had less deaths on this entire series than ONE episode of the Sopranos or Sons of Anarchy. And, as far as I can remember, the two zombie deaths were caused by relatively minor bites. (oh wait, I forgot about the ND survivors killed facelessly by the quarry. As expendable as LOST crash survivors, just there to die. Oh, and the horse.)
They're trying to get some gore into it. They have to use the zombies for that because the Non Zombiephiles will balk if we linger over a pack digging into Sophia in the woods or something along those lines. You have to admit, Horse, it's a fine line to walk. We've never had a situation like this before. The typical grim zombie ending comes after two hours. They have to sustain a show indefinitely. What would you have them do, taking all that into account? This question is NOT rhetorical. I have seen literally dozens of zombie movies, I can't think of a way to appease both fan bases (those being genre fans---and "shipper" fans who actually tune in *gag* to see whether Shane *sputter*has gotten over his hidden love for Lori *cough*)

October 24 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Purpleslog

I liked the premier. This episode was slow and boring. One or two more snoozers like this one and that's it for me.

October 24 2011 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Um...They said last week that they are heading to Fort Benning in Columbus, GA.

October 24 2011 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gibson Family

I have never read such a confusing review. If I had not seen the show I would not have a clue what you were talking about. I thought it was a great episode. They are bringing in new characters and giving the group a renewed hope that they are not the only ones out there. They are also developing the characters so we get involved with them. I am excited about this season and hope continues to do well.

October 24 2011 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kallie

Did no one else notice that all of Merle's Rx drug bottles were sitting on a pretty thick layer of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman's Blue Sky? Daryl even says " we've got crystal...." as he cataloges all of the misc drugs in that baggie. Good to know that Walking Dead are in the same world as Los Pollos Hermanos!

October 24 2011 at 4:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kallie's comment
Piecar

I DID notice that, Kallie! If they are in the same universe, I'm sure Walt and Jesse figured something out. One of the producers of that show directed "Guts" last year. A little nod, perhaps.

October 24 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Piecar's comment
Kallie

If anyone can save us from the zombie-pocolypse, I'd put my faith the Pinkman. Walt not so much. I'd just hold up in the lab as a bunker, seems pretty safe! And why do I have the sneaking suspicion Saul could cash in on this? Bitten by a walker? Better call Saul!

October 24 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down