September 3, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The Voice of Elmo Visits 'The View' (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Oct 24th 2011 3:15PM
Kevin Clash, the puppeteer known as the voice of Elmo, stopped by 'The View' (weekdays, syndicated on ABC) to look back on his career and talk about the new film 'Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey.' He surprised the ladies with a surprisingly deep, Barry White-esque voice that was a hilarious contrast to Elmo's high-pitched squeal.

Delving into the history of Elmo, Clash mentioned that he was the third person to voice the lovable Muppet, as Jim Henson found that both of the first voices, one of which Clash described as a screaming caveman, wasn't quite right. Clash came up with Elmo's trademark high-pitched tone and practiced that summer on his mom's daycare class. The rest is Muppet history.

jmummey35

wow its hard not to see how many people voiced on elmo being a black job. I remember when spiderman came out and diddy was pissed because they didnt make him black.lol well be proud elmo has a black voice. Plus he is world known. plus i wouldnt put a dime on it but was told the man who played Barney was a black man. See no need to hate. All that matters is that he did the voice the best for the job and thats the way it should be. Like everyother one .

October 25 2011 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jmummey35's comment
James

"black job"? "black voice"? "black man"? Will this never end?

October 25 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
raicoon10

I mostly remember Clash as the voice of Master Splinter in the first live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie. Which was also done by the Jim Henson Creature Workshop. I never imagined Master Splinter being voiced by Elmo, but then again Yoda's voice Frank Oz is the voice of Fozzie and a variety of other muppets.

October 25 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rinona2011

Woah ! I watched Elmo when i was a little and I would have never thought he was the puppeteer. hahahahahaha!!!! I

October 25 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Fran

My 2 year old son LOVES Elmo!!! It's cool to see the person who voices him!!!

October 25 2011 at 12:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ppsstjmo

I'd like to see who it is that's the voice of Spongebob Squarepants.

October 25 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
glaimc863

very cute..

October 25 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
bubba1zfg

Our family loves Elmo and hopefully Sesame Street will keep his as he is and not make anything about him PC. Nothing better than seeing childrens' faces light up when they see and hear Elmo!

October 25 2011 at 12:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

He did the Elmo voice for like 2 seconds...great clip.

October 25 2011 at 12:06 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michelle's comment
saturnhug

I agree.... what was the point....if you sneeze while watching it you miss the voice. Wasn't the whole point of this to marvel at the voice? They spent more time talking about and showing the parade balloon.

October 25 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
llkz47

That guy is a muli millionaire.

October 25 2011 at 12:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
T

I don't like when the voice of these cute little puppets are exposed. Now I'll never see Elmo the same anymore.

October 25 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply