November 1, 2014

Giuliana Rancic Back at Work: I Still Have a Long Road Ahead

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 25th 2011 12:00PM
Giuliana Rancic Back at WorkDays after having a double lumpectomy, Giuliana Rancic has returned to work at E! News.

"I've got to say, I feel great. My surgery went very well," Rancic said during her first telecast back. "I still do have a bit of a road ahead of me, but it's nothing I can't handle ... and it's going to be good!

Rancic went public with her breast cancer battle during an interview on NBC's 'Today.' The TV host has been undergoing IVF treatments in an effort to conceive a baby with her 'Apprentice' winner husband Bill Rancic.

"Through my attempt to get pregnant through IVF, we sadly found out that I have early stages of breast cancer," she said on Oct. 17. "It's been a shock."

Following her lumpectomy and lymph node removal, Rancic will undergo six weeks of radiation therapy.

"I'm so thrilled to get back to work and return to my E! family today," Rancic told E! News on Mon., Oct. 24. "I still have a long road ahead, but thanks to everyone's overwhelming love, support and prayers, it will be an easier journey. The E! viewers have helped me to get through this and stay strong more than they will ever know and I will be eternally grateful to them for their love," she said.

Rancic's E! News co-host Ryan Seacrest took to Twitter to express his joy at having her back on the show.

"[T]oday was @GiulianaRancic's first day back on @ENews!! missed her, she looks great," he tweeted.

Check out videos of Rancic's first day back and 'Today' announcement below.

rgsnaz

Giuliana, watch you and your hubby on your reality show. You guys are so cute. I watched you try to get pregnant so many times. It's not fair and now this. I know you are a fighter, I'm sure your husband will atest to that. Do what you have to do to get well and stay well. Bill needs you and so do your fans.

October 25 2011 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zanise

why not have both breast removed esp since they took lymph nodes? I would be afraid of spreading(seeding) the cancer esp since it was in both breast and in the lymph nodes.

October 25 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
perts1

I'm going through a similar time right now. The determining factor (1 of many) is the oncotype DX test which they give to ER+ people. I was due to just have radiation until my oncotype came back very high. Now I'm having chemo and radiation as well as the hormone therapy. I wish you the best of luck and hope we can look back on this sometime.

October 25 2011 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
svmkel

I find so many of these responses odd...though I agree with the person that said she should not try to have a baby (adoption would be better) because of the hormone involvement. Why don't we hear about men well maybe they should step forward and talk about their experiences. I am a breast cancer survivor. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy (not given an option) Chem, radiation and finally a hysterectomy. I am alive and in remission!!! I am praying for guilianna and bill. I hope the doctors are being honest with her. She will have many more birthdays and a family.

October 25 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

God bless you guys, I know everything will be fine and you will get that baby you so desire also...

October 25 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda's comment
eqseg

Linda, I find it amusing that people toss out the terms like God Bless You, God Willing, Prayers, etc etc when people go to extreme lengths such as multiple IVFs when trying to conceive. However; IVF is not natural, but more of God Complex brought on by Drs. Bottom line though is that these selfish people fail to realize that if "God" truly wanted them to have children, they'd be able to have them. It's already God's will that she doesn't reproduce.

October 25 2011 at 7:02 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Emmalee

The Gerson method can rid you of cancer without having to poison you body with radiation. I recommend seeing "The Gerson Miracle" or researching it online!

October 25 2011 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bds6543

A "lumpectomy" is very simple thing.. done as an out patient mostly.. If she has positive lymph nodes, then she will have to have chemo.. etc. and she is making far too much light of this. If she has chemo.. she will lose all her hair. this is NOT a "walk in the park" as she is inferring.. If I were here, I'd get a total double mastectomy.. but.. on the other hand.. she has abused her body by pumping all those IVF hormones in.....and she really should not get pregnant now, since this cancer.. which would cause a recurrance. She obviously has not been well informed as to the gravity of this and her future.

October 25 2011 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lklex

How odd. Substantially more men are afflicted with prostate cancer than women are afflicted with breast cancer, yet the news media (including HuffPost) rarely publishes stories about celebrity or other prostate cancer victims. Perhaps that helps account for why NCI breast cancer research funding is more than twice that of NCI prostate cancer research funding.

October 25 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lklex's comment
eqseg

That's because most guys arent 'the attention ****** that people like Giuliana are and we believe in keeping things private.

October 25 2011 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richjack4

This is news???? More like a self-promoting marketing kick. Should everyone having had cancer surgery get equal air time? Didn't think so.

October 25 2011 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dallas5100

GUILIANA YOUR VERY BRAVE.. YE.. YOU HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.... YOU WILL DO IT''..BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS''SADLY ITS WHAT A SUCESSFUL LIFE IS.. THINK OF THE THOUSANDS OF WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD THAT YOU WILL ENCOURAGE.. HANG IN THERE GUTSY WOMEN..

October 25 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply