September 15, 2014

Bubble Trouble: Why 'Pan Am,' 'Parks and Rec' and 12 Other Shows Could Go 'Pop!'

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 28th 2011 11:00AM
Bubble Shows 2011For producers of underperforming television shows, this is the scariest time of the year -- and it's got nothing to do with Halloween specials. By now, the glow of premiere season has long since worn off, and shows we couldn't wait to see just a few short months ago are in serious danger of getting the hook.

Truth be told, the majority of broadcast shows are floating precariously atop the cancellation bubble. A world without 'Fringe'? An NBC Thursday night without 'Community'? Folks, it could happen.

Take NBC: the struggling network is aggressively developing new shows, desperate for a hit. Can old standbys like 'Parks and Recreation' survive when big dogs Sarah Silverman and Dane Cook are all developing new shows at the Peacock network?

A few notches away on the dial, CBS's 'CSI' franchise is starting to fizzle and the network has its eye on new comedies. With three different 'CSI' shows, it's safe to say one will probably go.

Who will survive this season? Only time will tell, but any of these shows could be goners by May.

Which show would you cancel?
Prime Suspect3866 (3.9%)
Community5271 (5.3%)
Parks and Recreation8029 (8.0%)
Harry's Law4077 (4.1%)
Nikita4652 (4.6%)
9021018636 (18.6%)
Gossip Girl8987 (9.0%)
The Good Wife2880 (2.9%)
CSI: NY2982 (3.0%)
A Gifted Man2899 (2.9%)
Pan Am20987 (21.0%)
Body of Proof1966 (2.0%)
Fringe3150 (3.1%)
Terra Nova11700 (11.7%)

Which show would you save?
Prime Suspect7934 (7.3%)
Community5264 (4.8%)
Parks and Recreation6796 (6.2%)
Harry's Law14118 (13.0%)
902101027 (0.9%)
Nikita1987 (1.8%)
Gossip Girl1463 (1.3%)
CSI: NY10207 (9.4%)
The Good Wife18840 (17.3%)
A Gifted Man4295 (3.9%)
Pan Am10350 (9.5%)
Body of Proof10399 (9.5%)
Terra Nova6897 (6.3%)
Fringe9392 (8.6%)

martinu

Community has seen funnier days for sure. forcing the Britta character to the forefront has been painful, walking for pizza like you have soiled your jeans is not funny. Alison Brie is the alpha female on the show. also making Chang into a student was the buzz killer for me. season 1 really great and half of season 2 great fun. have yet to really see a good ep off season 3. fox will cancel Fringe i am very very sorry to say, the delay after the baseball and the 7 week gap after this week before another episode means it is more or less dead now. really liked it, John Noble deserve a massive thanks for bringing his character to life, a lesson for any actor to study.

November 08 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astoltman

I love Fringe but I keep forgetting when it's on :(

November 08 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astoltman

I love Fringe but I keep forgetting when it's on :(

November 08 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saluk64007

I will be sad when Community goes, but at least it has had 3 spectacular seasons. That's as many as Arrested Development got, and people still talk about it. I know I will be watching my dvd's for years to come.

November 08 2011 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerao

Why can't they cancel CSI Miami with red headed freak

November 08 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davdxstorm2012

I think the networks are only judging thier shows on people who watch them at it's scheduled time or channel .. some folks are like me, and watch them on Hulu or from the Channel's WEBSITE .. I know they have site counters, it just doesn't seem they take those viewers as seriously and count them in ratings. Just saying. I like Pan Am and Body of Proof, maybe Pan Am and it's having a CIA covert operative as flight attendant hits too close to home .. and maybe the way Playboy Club was showing Big City connections with mob and politicans didn't sit well with .. well the mob and crooked politicans they helped get elected. Where's that show based again, Chicago? No crooked people there I am sure.

November 08 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
poppajack9

Terra Nova should be saved. It is a well written and acted show that deserves to be renewed since it is the only truly Sci-Fi show on the air.

November 08 2011 at 1:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to poppajack9's comment
martinu

Fringe?

November 08 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Parks and rec is one of the best shows on TV. I'm shocked that no one is watching it. It's firmly taking over as my favorite show now that The Office is going down the tubes slowly without Steve Carell. What wasn't in the poll was "Big Bang Theory". I'd cancel that show in a heartbeat. It is one of the worst shows ever.

November 08 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chris's comment
saluk64007

Only shows with low ratings were in the poll. Big Bang Theory is one of the most watched shows, whether you like it or not. I wouldn't be too upset if it were cancelled, it's not nearly as good as some of the shows on the bubble, but I still enjoy it when I watch. I guess people still love their laugh track, with more modern shows like P+R and community, they just don't know when to laugh. The Office was a fluke.

November 08 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I agree. This show is awesome and if you do not find it funny then you are just a boring person with no sense of humor.

November 08 2011 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crashowski

people still watch tv?

November 08 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to crashowski's comment
martinu

people still watch stale reguritated cr*p at the movies?

November 08 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Fresh Behavior

Parks and Rec is the funniest thing on TV... this is Arrested Development all over again! TV sucks as a whole, network television will never be good again. Cancel "Whitney" please!!!!!! Dane Cook is not funny, his movie career has proven it.

November 08 2011 at 1:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply