October 31, 2014

Fox Bumps 'Fringe' for Baseball, Will NBC Bump 'Grimm' and 'Chuck'?

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 28th 2011 7:08AM
'Grimm'Last night's thrilling Game 6 was just fantastic for baseball fans, but has produced headaches of epic proportions for the schedulers at the TV networks.

Having wreaked havoc on the schedules at Fox for a couple of weeks already, the imminent championship-deciding Game 7 tonight may also prompt some gnashing of teeth elsewhere.

Game 7 means that Fox will have to reschedule 'Fringe' and 'Kitchen Nightmares,' but they've had a few days in which to consider their options. And 'Fringe' fans are already used to setting their DVRs to catch new episodes as the series is regularly bounced around the Fox schedule anyway. But what about 'Grimm?'

It's a safe bet that the schedulers over at NBC will be fervently praying for rain today. Having struggled in the fall ratings war so far, the peacock network has a lot riding on the new fairytale-inspired series 'Grimm,' which is due to debut tonight.

It was originally supposed to have premiered last Friday, but NBC delayed it by a week in order to promote it closer to Halloween. Ouch.

NBC also delayed the much-anticipated final season premiere of 'Chuck,' which is also due to air tonight, directly opposite the World Series. How many viewers will tune to NBC instead of watching the World Series is anyone's guess right now, but it will be interesting to see the numbers and DVR ratings as they come in over the weekend.

As of right now, NBC is still planning to air both 'Grimm' and 'Chuck' as planned tonight, but that could change later. Stay tuned for updates.

Check out Mo Ryan's thoughts on 'Grimm.'

'Chuck' Season 5 premiere is due to air tonight, Friday Oct. 28, 8PM ET on NBC.

'Grimm' Series premiere is due to air tonight, Friday Oct. 28, 9PM ET on NBC.

Follow Catherine on Twitter

noseless_wonder

This was a dumb decision on FOX's part. First, last week, there wasn't a game and they ended up showing a rerun. I know they ended up with a rain delay on one game, but from what I understand, this didn't affect last Friday's schedule, so why not just air a new episode?

Secondly, they left viewers the opportunity to watch Fringe's newest competition, Grimm. I like Fringe more, but I think some fans would be ready to switch, given FOX's treatment of Fringe and its schedule-hopping.

October 29 2011 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

>"Fox Bumps 'Fringe' for Baseball, Will NBC Bump 'Grimm' and 'Chuck'?"<

Now, you NEVER saw a headline like this when abc, cbs or nbc had to redo their schedules for sports, debates or anything else.

This looks more like another attempt to "kill Fox" and portray Fox bigwigs as incompetent and unable to properly run their business.

Any station that goes from unknown to number one in only about 20 years (especially compared to stations that have been on the air for 50-60 years) is doing something right. It's not all just due to new technology.

As for making a choice between the WS and the other idiot "entertainment," I have books in my home, and I'm not afraid to use them!

October 28 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
colfla

If I had to choose between Chuck or the World Series, I would have to choose NEITHER since I haven't watched them up to this point. Grimm seems interesting so I would definitely check it out. Which would make it a grand total of NBC shows I watch-to ONE.

October 28 2011 at 11:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to colfla's comment
mccloudnj

I watch two NBC shows -- Harry's Law and Law & Order: SVU. Both are very well done. I don't care for any of the comedies. I'll give Grimm a try when it finally airs.

October 28 2011 at 11:48 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Rastlr

i vote they shouldn't show the stupid baseball game, all sports are stupid and overpaid worst then the damn tv actors who also overpaid but not as much!

October 28 2011 at 11:24 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rastlr's comment
mccloudnj

Oh, I see. You don't like sports, so nobody should be able to watch. Gee, I don't like
"reality shows," so let's ignore millions of fans and take them ALL of the air. I don't like sports either, so I just find something else to watch. With access to more than a hundred channels, that's usually not too difficult. Silly comment, Rastir.

October 28 2011 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd A Cross

Isn't this why they created ESPN and other sports networks so the average viewer didn't have to have these shows rescheduled. I don't watch sports. How about we reschedule some of the sports network shows for the primetime stuff. So tired of this nonsense.

October 28 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rustysmitty

Don't knock it if you haven't seen it. There are plenty of great shows that have low ratings. Chuck is a great television and I'm eagerly anticipating the premiere whenever they decide to air it.

October 28 2011 at 10:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rickwrite

Gahhh! They better NOT delay Chuck. My family's been waiting on this all summer; my kids would be crushed! Not everybody watches baseball, NBC!

October 28 2011 at 9:19 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rickwrite's comment
Sev

Yes everybody watches Baseball, that will be the last game of the year, (It's The World Series Man, are you not American?) besides........ what does Chuck have to do with The Game anyway it's on NBC and the Series is on Fox . you can watch Chucky LOL and I can watch Basebell (We'll BOTH be happy)

October 28 2011 at 11:13 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Sev's comment
pete

Sev, EVERYBODY does NOT watch baseball.

I lost interest when players making $3,000,000 ($3 million) per year told me (as a fan and ticket buyer) that I had to pay more for tickets so those only making $60,000 per year could get a raise. At the time my annual income was less than $25,000!

October 28 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
noseless_wonder

I can't even express how idiotic your post is. Maybe I should start with the fact that the article addressed the possibility of NBC delaying Chuck's premiere so it didn't coincide with the World Series. THAT'S what "Chucky" has to do with "The Game." Secondly, not everyone watches baseball. If I wanted to watch a bunch of out-of-shape, overpaid men sit around and do nothing for 3 1/2 hours, I'll watch the live stream of a session of Congress.

Finally, last year during the series, almost the same number of people watched the Big Bang Theory as the World Series. Baseball's quickly becoming bigger in Japan than it is in America. You might want to get used to the decline of your "American pastime."

October 29 2011 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
devinmcmusters

If it was any good, it wouldn't be airing on a Friday night to begin with.

October 28 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply