August 1, 2014

'Real World' Star Tonya Cooley Sues MTV, Cast Members Over Alleged Toothbrush Rape

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 28th 2011 10:30AM
Tonya Cooley Rape LawsuitTonya Cooley, a cast member of 'Real World: Chicago' and many 'Real World/Road Rules' challenges, is suing MTV, Bunim/Murray Productions and reality stars Evan Starkman and Kenneth Santucci, saying the male cast members named in the suit sexually assaulted her.

According to TMZ, Cooley's lawsuit claims Starkman and Santucci sexually abused her with a toothbrush while she was passed out. Warning -- the details are a bit graphic.

The lawsuit says Starkman and Santucci "took another male participant's toothbrush and rubbed the toothbrush around the plaintiff's genitals, including rubbing her labia and inserting the toothbrush into plaintiff's vagina."

Cooley claims cameras were rolling during the incident. The reality star said producers knew about the rape, replaced the toothbrush in question and never told her what had happened. The suit also alleges that female cast members were often stripped out of their bathing suits and producers encouraged the male cast members to "inappropriately touch female cast members' bodies, including in intimate areas." The reality star said she and other cast members reported the sexual abuse, but the show turned a blind eye.

TMZ reports Cooley is suing for unspecified damages.

UPDATE: Bunim/Murray Productions has issued a statement: "After a thorough investigation, we have found Tonya Cooley's claims to be completely baseless."

T

BUT THESE THINGS WERE DONE IN A BATHROOM WHERE CAMERAS ARE NOT ALLOWED,
I BELIEVE YOU TONYA,,BUT THEY ARE GONNA CRUCIFY YOU DEAR WHICH IS WHY I NEVER REPORTED A RAPE THAT HAPPENED TO ME OVER 35 YEARS AGO, I KNEW THEY WOULD MAKE IT SEEM LIKE I DESERVED IT.
THINGS WERE MUCH WORSE BACK THEN,,HOPEFULLY ALOT HAS CHANGED, BUT IM NOT COUNTING ON IT,....
ITS ALL STILL RUN BY MEN,,CORRECT!!!!

November 13 2011 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emlyhat

I highly doubt that any network- even MTV- would let this happen on a show let alone on camera. All they care about is money and if there's a sexual assult, they get sued. Besides, when people fight on the show the camera men always jump in to stop it before someone gets hurt. Right now, it just likes a ploy to get money becuase she's sueing the network and this happened a few years ago. For the sake of everryone involved and for my personal faith in humanity, I hope that she's just looking for money.

But if what Tonya's saying true, the entire network deserves to go down including those two... URGH!!!

November 02 2011 at 5:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
averagedancer2

Non-Victim blamer is correct. Nearly all people consume alcohol, and I guarantee that a great many of them have been drunk to the point of being unable to exercise proper reactions to what is going on around them. And being in a reality show doesn't mean these pigs should be able to assault her. The animals that filmed it should be sent away as well. When you watch such a thing, and do nothing to stop it - and in fact film it, thereby inciting the criminal behaviour - you are as guilty as the rapists. And the callousness of the comments being left here is staggering; have people really devolved to this point? Many of you folks have probably been this drunk yourselves, and you'd be singing a different tune if this was done to you, and then everyone pointed their holier-than-thou fingers at you and said it was your fault. Unbelievable.

November 02 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jsand96876

Honey don't forget to brush your cootchie before you come to bed.

November 01 2011 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
b66dom

I agree with TRULY FOVORED, Enough is enough. These reality " stars " are getting rediculous. i.e Kardashians. Anyone wasting their time or money to make a dollar for them is an idiot.

November 01 2011 at 3:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Non-Victim Blamer

Never question the validity of a victim's claims. It isn't our job to judge in a sensitive situation like this one. We could never know what really happened.

Also, please don't "victim blame". Even if she were passed out drunk and in skimpy clothes or naked, there's no justification for what happened.

November 01 2011 at 7:47 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
zemog44

Wow! If that is true then I hope she gets a billion dollars and those responsible go to jail for a very long time! What a horrible story! YUCK! Many will probably say if it happened then it is her fault for being drunk and passed out. Are you kidding?? She didn't ask for that to take place. She's innocent. Those responsible should pay a heavy, heavy price. If this is true, my sympathy to the girl. In case you're wondering, I am a guy.

November 01 2011 at 1:58 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
oakwoodfarm1238

The toothbrush did it..!

October 31 2011 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beautiful

Hey~ don't be a ***** and get pass out drunk and bad things wont happen to you. Just because you're on tv doesn't mean you're worth more than trash~ you don't have slaves and servants to watch over you and kiss your feet when you're drunk and passed out. Be an adult and accept the consequences for your actions! Does anyone even know how to do that anymore? I'm not saying that individuals that get raped are "asking for it" but I do think that as an adult, individuals should make logical decisions... if their BEST INTEREST was so important than why aren't THEY LOOKING out for IT themselves????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 31 2011 at 8:59 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Beautiful's comment
FLACO, BETO

People are so g**damned stupid if they think going on a reality show with trash isn't going to begat trash. I'm fed up with all these promiscuous kids thinking that getting loaded and ending up drunk is a viable excuse to make stupid mistake after stupid mistake. "Well we had a few drinks......one thing led to another..." is just an immature excuse to try to get out of a mess. I threw out my tv months ago and cancelled my cable subscription, I'm much more happier playing baseball with my kids outside instead of being zombieized by this constantly immoral garbaged ****.

October 31 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply