September 30, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld to Guest Co-Host 'Live! With Kelly'

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 1st 2011 1:45PM
Jerry SeinfeldJerry Seinfeld will be the first guest co-host on 'Live! With Kelly' when the show switches to a Regis Philbin-less format.

Philbin leaves 'Live! With Regis and Kelly' on Fri., Nov. 18 and the show will transition to 'Live! With Kelly' as it searches for a permanent co-host. A similar format was followed when Kathie Lee Gifford left the series in 2000.

"Jerry is a great friend of ours, and a friend of Kelly's, and it doesn't hurt that he's an entertainment icon," Michael Gelman, 'Live!' executive producer, said in a statement. "It's a great way to kick off the new beginning of our show."

Seinfeld will guest co-host from Mon., Nov. 21 - Wed., Nov. 23.

Jason Segal, Kim Cattrall, Howie Mandel, Jamie Oliver and Miss Piggy are scheduled to stop by 'Live!' while Seinfeld is co-hosting with Kelly Ripa.

Philbin is leaving the show after 28 years. However, he's not retiring. The 80-year-old host recently called a radio show to set the record straight.

"I'm not calling it quits, you understand," he said. "I'm moving on. I'm not retiring. I'm not quitting. I'm moving on."

If he's not retiring, then why is Philbin leaving 'Live!'? Philbin hinted it was over contract troubles.

"The contractual issue just never worked out," he said, "but I was going to leave before that anyway."

Tell us: Are you excited to see Jerry stop by 'Live!'?

Below, check out a 'Live' video compilation featuring Regis' 30-year-struggle with technology:

cthefinallist

I love Kelly and her quick wit. I think it willl be fun to watch regardless of who ends up co-hosting/hosting...

November 08 2011 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rafik

I agree. Larry David would have been a better choice.

November 07 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicvlvic

Since the Seinfeld show was co created with Larry David at the helm writing all the funny stuff, IMO Larry David would make a better guest host.
Jerry is OK but .....with out the magic of his fellow castmates from "Seinfeld" he is just Jerry.

November 06 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gknowl7238

FIRST OF ALL JERRY SEINFELD IS JUST A TEMPORARY REPLACEMENT AND I LOVED HIS SHOW AND THINK HE IS VERY WITTY. I AM GLAD TO SEE HIM GUEST HOST. ITS TIME FOR REGIS TO MOVE ON

November 04 2011 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gknowl7238

November 04 2011 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phylly3

Not a Seinfeld fan. Likewise I was not a Kathy Lee fan. Without Regis this show will not ever be the same no matter who sits is either chair.

November 04 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kmydean

Well it is terrible that Kims marriage was short lived. Better pick next time Kim...

November 04 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kmydean

I am excited to see Jerry stop by "LIVE" . I am sure Kelly and Jerry will make a great team together.

November 04 2011 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

Please!!! Enough is Enough who realy care's about Kim Kardashian????????????/

November 04 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nutsietoo

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT REGIS WAS AS THEY SAY, SHAFTED. KELLY RIPA HAS BEEN VERY DISTASTFUL TO HIM EVER SINCE SHE CAME ON THE SHOW TEN YEARS AGO.SHE CORRECTED HIM ON CAMERA WHEN HE MADE A MINOR MISTAKE AND MAKES FUN OF HIM. THAT KIND OF HUMOR IS NOT FUNNY. A FEW YEARS AGO THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN THE NEWSPAPER WHERE SHE NAMED WHO SHE WANTED AS "HER" CO-HOST ON THE SHOW WHEN REGIS LEFT. SHE CHOSE HER HUSBAND AND SEVERAL OTHER T.V PERSONALITIES. I THINK KELLY RIPPA AND ABC WORKED TO GET REGIS OFF THE SHOW. NOW I DON'T HAVE TO WATCH ABC AT 9:00 AND CAN FORGET ABOUT THE VIEW,S YELLING MATCH AT 10:00 TOO!THAT SHOW HAS BECOME ONE BIG ADVERTISEMENT FOR WHATEVER THE PANEL MEMBERS ARE DOING WHEN THEY ARE NOT ON THE VIEW.

November 04 2011 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nutsietoo's comment
edwardandersons

I noticed that also about Kelly and how she makes fun of Regis because he is older and his motor skills are not what they used to be. If they get Seinfeld it will ruin the show since he thinks hes so funny when in reality he is just as annoying as Kelly. I am younger then her at 33; Kelly will be elderly one day and she will realize whats its like.

November 05 2011 at 10:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply