October 24, 2014

'Survivor' Winner Ethan Zohn's Cancer Returns

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 2nd 2011 1:15PM
Ethan Zohn's Cancer ReturnsEthan Zohn's cancer is back. The winner of 'Survivor: Africa' and recent contestant on 'The Amazing Race' told People his cancer returned in September.

"It's localized in my lung area," Zohn said. "But it's good that it's not all over my body."

In 2009, Zohn was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called CD20-positive Hodgkin's lymphoma. After undergoing treatment, Zohn revealed he was cancer-free in late April 2010.

Zohn's girlfriend, fellow 'Survivor' winner Jenna Morasca, appeared with him on CBS's 'The Amazing Race.' She was also by his side when he got the news. However, Zohn said she's taking the news in stride. "We're both filled with fear and anger and anxiety and gratitude and frustration. But there's so much love there. It's this whole spectrum of emotions."

Zohn and Morasca appeared in the current season, Season 19, of 'The Amazing Race.' They were eliminated in the second episode.

On Oct. 18, Zohn began a new treatment, a smarter form of chemotherapy that only targets the cancerous cells. Because the SGN-35 treatment is so targeted, Zohn won't be losing his hair. After 12 weeks of the chemo, Zohn will hopefully undergo another stem-cell transplant, coming from one of his brothers. He doesn't know which brother is the match.

After all this, Zohn said he still plans to run the New York City Marathon on Nov. 6. He's running to raise money for his HIV/AIDS education and prevention organization, Grassroot Soccer.

"The doctors think I'm crazy but they gave me the okay," he said. "Cancer isn't going to slow me down. I want people to know that you can still live a fulfilled life and move forward."

Alison Paradise Gian

Ethan completed his treatment while my husband was undergoing this treatment. Ethan is inspriation that everything was going to be okay. I was very sad to hear today that his cancer came back after two years and hope that he stays strong while he undergoes his current treatment!

December 09 2011 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belle

This man is a hero..I would much rather have the air waves focus on people like Ethan and Jenna rather than the greed of the Kardashians! God bless you Ethan and Jenna..you are an inspiration to us all!

November 03 2011 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel Styles

People always wonder why we can't cure cancer with all the millions of dollars people are donating. This gives a good explanation on why cancer can't be cured right now.

November 02 2011 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sadadu

I always admire a fighter, and he is doing the right thing by using the newest
conventional medical therapies. I think some of the natural remedies could
be a plus, but DEFINITELY NOT IN PLACE OF PROVEN MEDICAL SCIENCE.

November 02 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loren1912

Obviously his treatment wasn't successful, so how much sicker will he get with this "new" approach? Only a natural- minded health practitioner (natural medicine and nutrition)wil be able to help him figure out why he got the ailment, and how to de-tox his body and add nutrients to his diet. Drugs, and other poisons (gladly used by your friendly neighborhood cancer doctor) cannot work, to restore health, as is evident in this story, and most stories of celebrities who believe in it. Doctors are not the cancer "experts" they claim to be.

November 02 2011 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jesldixon

God Bless Ethan!!! I pray for him to get better, and for his family and friends!

November 02 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkeepmoving

NOOOO

November 02 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I rooted for him from the beginning of Survivor: Africa and was happy when he won. I myself had Leukemia so I know what he is going through. I hope he gets better.

November 02 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Wow...he is such an inspiration. My hat is off to him!

November 02 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eklectk

LYMPHOMA is caused by our toxic environment...pesticides & herbicides. If you or a family member or a friend hasn't had it-in the future, add *yet* to that statement!

Walk with the AZ Lymphomathon's WaNDeRiNg WilBuRS...

Or-pick your team!

Every dollar helps.

November 02 2011 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to eklectk's comment
devinmcmusters

No, cavemen had lymphoma also!

November 02 2011 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply