July 25, 2014

Talking TV Takes on 'Hell on Wheels,' 'Sons of Anarchy,' Fall TV Winners and Losers

by Maureen Ryan, posted Nov 2nd 2011 2:20PM
This week on the Talking TV podcast, Ryan McGee and I discuss AMC's new Western drama, 'Hell on Wheels,' we gab about this week's episode of 'Sons of Anarchy,' and we delve into some of the fall season's winners and losers.

Ryan and I each picked two winners and two losers: One of my winners was 'Revenge,' and one of my losers was fall's other woman-with-a-secret drama, the CW's 'Revenge.' Ryan chose ABC's Wednesday comedy block as a winner and 'Terra Nova' as a loser.

To find out what our other winner and loser choices were, grab the podcast and enjoy!

Running times are below:

0 - 13:42: 'Hell on Wheels,' which premieres Sunday on AMC. My review will be posted in the next day or two.

13:43 - 46:24: Our winners and losers discussion. Marvel as I manage to work 'Star Trek' references into both this discussion and the previous one.

46:24 - end: Our weekly discussion of FX's 'Sons of Anarchy' (I also wrote about this week's episode here.)

Special thanks to listener Carl Brand for the cool podcast logo you see here.

Don't forget that you can grab the podcasts from iTunes (where you can also subscribe) or you can grab this week's discussion from the Talking TV home site.

Full archives of every 'Talking TV' podcast are available here. The entire 'Talking TV' archives are also available on iTunes. Our RSS feed is here.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

Amanda Black

I am pleasantly surprised by "Revenge". I wasn't expecting to love it, but I watched because nothing else was on, and it's juicy. I love how it plays things for fun. I also have been pleasantly surprised by the improvement in "Happy Endings."

November 04 2011 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
USA J

Spot on assessment of Revenge vs Ringer. Revenge is a guilty pleasure, thoroughly soapy but at the top of its game in that genre. I wanted Buffy to succeed so badly but I hung up on Ringer after giving it so many chances (thanks to the CW repeating every single episode 4 or 5 times). Unlike Revenge, it doesn't know what type of show it wants to be. Sarah Michele deserves better stuff than that. Also, glad to see you have come around on Happy Endings, Mo. Both Happy Endings and Modern Family are my two favorite comedies. And yes, Ryan McGee, Terra Nova is Terr-ible. I outgrew my dinosaur fascination a few decades ago and this show offer nothing to anyone over 5 years old.

November 03 2011 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigdtazz

I love this program I hope u never take it of off the air. Sons of anarchacy is great

November 03 2011 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
O Nikos

Yes clearly this is a pattern of her not proof reading anything. Another sign of her (lack of) respect of the readers. Along with all the horrible reviews.

November 02 2011 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Martin

Revenge as the winner and Revenge as the loser.....I think you could use a proofreader.

November 02 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rhett Frei

I think you meant Ringer.

November 02 2011 at 2:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply