August 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Ace Frehley: KISS's Code-Word For Cocaine Was 'Betty White' (VIDEO)

by Stephanie Opella, posted Nov 3rd 2011 5:30PM
Ace Frehley, aka the Spaceman, landed in the 'Today' (weekdays, 7AM ET on NBC) studios to talk about his life in and out of the glam-rock band, KISS. Matt Lauer got right to the point: "I think anybody who watched KISS over the years, probably the thought crossed their minds that you guys dabbled in drugs." Ace fully copped to embracing the '70s lifestyle.

"You gotta realize, Studio 54 and that whole scene in Manhattan in the '70s, a lot of people were doing cocaine." So much so that the band had a code name for the party-drug. "Well, we called it Betty White," he said, giggling.

Ace hasn't hung out with Betty in a while: he's been sober for five years and just wrote a book, 'Ace Frehley, No Regrets.' In it, he also talks about his relationship with Gene Simmons, which he told Matt is good, even though in the book he accuses Gene of trying to rewrite KISS' history by downplaying Ace's contribution to the band. They had lunch together recently, but Ace didn't bring that up. "I wanted to keep it light. I hadn't seen him since we received the VH1 Rock Honors award," which was in 2006. "I just wanted to wipe the slate clean and look toward the future," he said.

Joe

Ace !!!!! Gotta love him .... rock n rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

November 05 2011 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keolwan

obama's code word for crack in harvard was dirty white boy !

November 04 2011 at 12:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sekinu2

I wonder why the video is Daryal Hannah then Justin Bieber but not Ace video??

November 04 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sekinu2's comment
BDSp'rkl Peaches

Scroll across the bottom for the picture of Ace and click on that for the interview. It's not much...about a minute.

November 04 2011 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mwsaab7899

I clicked on this story just so I could read that spam in the comments.

November 04 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrmrkw01

Is there not something in this world that is more important to report than this garbage?

November 04 2011 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrmrkw01's comment
Joe

Watch something else then, you f-ing moron

November 05 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mtmid

Just curious: When he embraced the "lifestyle" of the 70's, was this strictly the 70's?

November 04 2011 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oreo cookies

I have heard of Ted Nugent, from detroit rock city, but who is this?

November 04 2011 at 10:06 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to oreo cookies's comment
Sekinu2

Lol if you dont know the name Ace Frehley of Kiss then your either under 15 years old or live under a rock lol

November 04 2011 at 12:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
c.cox3

I like Betty White, but I know she doesn't belong up inside my nose. Drugs do strange things to people.

November 04 2011 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brennemanbelkin

"he accuses Gene of trying to rewrite KISS' history by downplaying Ace's contribution to the band."

You'd think Ace would try to downplay his own contributions to the band.

November 04 2011 at 8:12 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
WarehouseFlats

can't get pass the extremely chemically relaxed and flat ironed hair of hers. on top of that pound of makeup to hide her ethnic face.

November 04 2011 at 7:12 AM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to WarehouseFlats's comment
arvig

@WarehouseFlats: Whom are you even talking about? The article is about a MAN, Ace Frehley. The makeup he wore as a member of KISS was his STAGE MAKEUP. Unless you mean Betty White since he used her name as his slang term for cocaine. In which case your description almost makes LESS sense, I wouldn't describe her as ethnic, her hair chemically relaxed and I've never looked to see how much makeup she wears but she's not noted for wearing huge amounts of it. :P So do tell, did you even READ the article, or do you honestly think at least one of the members of KISS was a woman?

November 04 2011 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj selbac

Must have thought he was reading and listening to a story and video about Beyonce.

November 04 2011 at 8:22 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dj selbac's comment
arvig

@dj selbac: Yes, since it's so easy to mistake Beyonce for a member of KISS. Mind you, I think she looks more like Gene Simmons without the long tongue, but I digress. :P

November 04 2011 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down