September 22, 2014

Who Will Save 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children'?

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 3rd 2011 3:00PM
One Life to Live All My Children'All My Children' has left TV and 'One Life to Live' is on its way out, but the soaps will live online ... right? The soaps are set to move onto the web after January 2012, when 'One Life to Live' is set to end its 43-year run, but there's a bit of a problem.

Prospect Park, the company that has licensed the soaps from ABC, has yet to win over enough financial backers to bring the soaps to the Internet, according to All Things D.

The company is retaining most of the same stars and behind-the-scenes team, making it a pricey venture.

According to Peter Kafka of All Things D, Jeff Kwatinetz, one of the men behind Prospect Park, will need around $80 million to produce both shows for a year. To start production, he'll need $65 million.

Seems the advertisers who used to support the shows aren't exactly confident the axes soaps will be able to attract as many eyes -- roughly 2.5 million viewers -- to their new home. To combat this problem, Kwatinetz is turning toward the bigwigs of Silicon Valley.

"A lot of the investor pool that we go to are people with Hollywood backgrounds," he told All Things D. "And while we feel that it's obvious that convergence is here, we've met with an unusual amount of skepticism. So now we're going out to Silicon Valley, and they seem to get it."

When (and if) the team finds funding, 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' will air on The Online Network, TOLN for short.

"We are creating TOLN to conveniently deliver fans of quality television long form programming anytime and anywhere," Prospect Park founders Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz said in a statement.

'All My Children' star Susan Lucci has reportedly turned down an offer to stay with the series and has moved on to join the cast of 'Army Wives.' Meanwhile, 'One Life to Live' has retained quite a few stars. Who? Check out the gallery below.

mcavaluzzi

I have watched these shows since they came on the air. The writing and the actors are superb and I am looking forward to keeping up with them online. I do hope this all goes through. There had to be a reason this was done and I have to agree with Patrick Campbell that someone very powerful just did not like them and wielded his power to finally get them off the air. I do not watch The Chew and never will. Really, how many cooking shows can you have? Just go on to the Food Network and if your a fan you will find your heaven. They should have left the shows ALONE!! Here's to Prospect Productions for putting in the effort that I know will make millions of viewers very happy.

November 11 2011 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mcavaluzzi's comment
vickie_wilson

i think they should take alot of sports off insted of taking off soaps i wil not watch abc after that tahe away sunday football keep soaps an who wants to watch food shows borring

January 04 2012 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina Lee

I love All my children & One life to live. I watch the shows daily, I won't have any thing to watch after the shows go off. What is this is about? I don't understand Why Is the shows being cancel. What am I to do at Daytime hours when those are the most important shows to for forward to during the day.I agree it is a BIG MISTAKE, to take those two shows off the AIR. Take DAys of our Lives,Bold & Beauty they always sleeping with each others man. (WHo want to watch that.) I don't want anyone sleeping with my man!. I don't care to watch any other soap that is AIR.

November 08 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Saceysach

These are my 2 favorite soaps. I have tried to get interested in Days of our Lives, Bold and Beautiful and other soaps but they just do not carry the suspense as OLTL and All My Children. I am not sure who's idea is was to take these 2 soaps off but in my opinion it was a big mistake. And, who is the world, decided to put Chew in the place of All My Children. These is the biggest nothing show I have ever watched and only watched it one time. I am so sick of seeing the advertisement for the Chew. It seems like every time there is a commercial break, there's the Chew Commercial. What's wrong, are you not getting the response you thought you would. You know the old saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it". So why did you try to fix the 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. slots.

November 04 2011 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan Sauvé

All my Children was on at 1pm but I don't care about it anymore (if it comes online) I won't continue with it because I am now devoted to The Days of our Lives at 1pm on NBC. I don't care about getting into AMC again. I will stick with One Lifet to Live at 2pm until January 2012. but I think if it ever goes online and I try to continue with it I will get this message --- due to your geographical region you are unable to watch this online content ---

November 04 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwenshack

I watch OLTL and I'll continue to on-line. :) I hope it works out.

November 03 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trev Bayers

I think they should just let these two soaps die. No one watched them on TV, and they're not going to watch them on the internet. Prospect Park should focus on just developing new shows. Spending all this money to keep two soaps going is a waste of money, time and effort. No one watched them on TV, and that is why they got canceled. Move on.

November 03 2011 at 5:04 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Trev Bayers's comment
Patrick Campbell

I don't even watch these and I know that's not true. Both of these shows had just about as many viewers as a good portion of the shows on NBC, yet they stay on. The guy whose the head of ABC was known for having a disdain for the soaps that weren't General Hospital, that's why they were cancelled. Not because no one was watching.

November 03 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply