October 1, 2014

Conan O'Brien Officiates Gay Wedding for Staffer on 'Conan' (VIDEO)

by Laura Prudom, posted Nov 4th 2011 8:45AM
Conan officiates gay weddingIn case you hadn't heard, Conan O'Brien decided to "push the envelope" on late night TV last night, when he celebrated the one year anniversary of his TBS show by officiating the marriage between 'Conan' costume designer Scott Cronick and his partner David Gorshein.

The ceremony marked the end of O'Brien's visit to New York City, where the comedian hosted 'Late Night' on NBC for 16 years.

Apparently, Cronick and Gorshein were already planning to wed while the show was visiting New York, since gay marriage is still not legal in California, but instead of marrying at city hall, O'Brien suggested they perform the ceremony on stage at the Beacon Theater instead.

The wedding observed several Jewish traditions, including the use of a chuppah and the breaking of glasses at the conclusion of the ceremony. O'Brien, who was ordained at the Universal Life Church, officiated in front of family, friends and an enthusiastic 'Conan' audience.

Cronick asked for his favorite celebrity, Bravo TV executive and 'Watch What Happens Live' host Andy Cohen, to walk him down the aisle, where O'Brien complimented Cronick on his jacket. "You've been with me for years, you've never designed me anything like this!" he joked.

Gorshein recited his vows first, tearfully telling Cronick, "Anyone in the world would be happy to wear one of your designs, but no-one is possibly happier than I am to wear your ring and to put this ring on your finger. You are my everything."

Visibly moved, Cronick responded, "I vow to fill your every day with so much love. Cameras or no cameras, David, I'm here today, and I am yours forever." After O'Brien pronounced them husband and husband, the couple shared a passionate kiss and greeted their families amid a cloud of confetti, departing on a replica bull pushed by "Ted Turner." (Who needs a limo?)

The wedding may have been the first same-sex marriage ever to be performed on television, and whether it was designed as a ratings stunt or simply a favor from one friend to another, it seemed to be a touching and heartfelt experience for everyone involved.

'Conan' airs weeknights at 11PM ET on TBS.

What did you think of Conan's wedding ceremony?

Boyett

I think Conan is a joke. It is sad that crap like this is allowed on TV. But hey queers r the thing today it seems. Cobbin the nob is sheek in Hollywood these days. Looks like we r all scared of the fruits these days and don't want to offend the little "suckers". As far as Tim Tebow my hat is off to the guy for standing up for his faith. I bet Conan wouldn't want to offend the Muslims. He would probably applaud. The sicko.

January 11 2012 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrikim44

Disgusting... Does Conan really needs the ratings that badly ..that's the last time I watch that gay ass show... Sticking with Fallon , Kimmel and the rest of real late night hosts. Ur a sellout

November 25 2011 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chrikim44's comment
Jim

maybe people shoud get together and put your wedding down *******

November 25 2011 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deggary

I don't know, there are a couple of horses asses on here that look pretty tempting!

November 24 2011 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Humm

Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow" show back in the 1970s televised a same-sex wedding from the Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles presided over by Rev. Troy Perry. This one by Conan was nice, but FAR from the first on TV.

November 07 2011 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeffrey

I have to wonder if they would ever have a 'bi-racial' marriage. I don't think to many people in America really care about the concept of 'race' and in marriage anymore. But I couldn't see too many television shows doing it. They are too stuck up.

November 04 2011 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Mustich

Kudos to Team Coco, and to Coco, and to the married couple.
Cheers, Joe Mustich, CT USA
Marriage Officiant and Justice of the Peace, & ULC Minister

Coco: Nettleton Hollow got really trashed from the storm last Sat, we're staying in Mamaroneck for the duration..

November 04 2011 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
UGADawg08

Gee, what a surprise that one of them is a fashion designer.

This was nauseating. I won't be watching his show again.

November 04 2011 at 3:58 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Tune in next week for the man/llama wedding. Don't judge, close-minded, beastophobic evil person! Love is love!

November 04 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anthony's comment
Steve G

Love has no boundaries. Anyone who says male organs only belong in organs with which they're procreationally compatible are just pure evil. Male organs should go wherever they feel comfortable! You can't restrict semen ejacul only to situations where pregnancy could possibly arise! That is so limiting! Don't let anyone judge you for your llama love!

November 04 2011 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Steve G's comment
Steve G

Hollywood promoting sexual perversion & male sodomy, on the same level as life-promoting relationships? I'm shocked.

November 04 2011 at 2:35 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Connie

It was great, Conan was spectacular the whole week, and I think it was great that he is accepting and the ceremony was touching. Good luck to Scott and David! Conan should return to NY if at all possible. Great all around.

November 04 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply