October 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Quiet Reveal for a War Veteran on 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (VIDEO)

by Laura Prudom, posted Nov 7th 2011 2:45AM
Allen Hill Extreme MakeoverEvery family touched by 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (Fri., 8PM ET on ABC) has a worthy story, but few makeovers are as poignant and relevant as last week's renovation.

Ty Pennington and his team headed to Ottowa, KS, to surprise the Hill family, whose patriarch, Staff Sergeant Allen Hill, was almost killed by a roadside bomb while serving in Iraq. Though he survived the blast, he now suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that can be triggered by loud noises, dimly lit spaces and long hallways.

The former Hill family home was located near a rock quarry and a train yard, both sources of constant noise and disruption, so the 'Extreme Makeover' team found a more suitable location on which to construct a new property.

Because of Sergeant Hill's fear of loud noises, Pennington managed to corral the celebratory crowd into quietening down for the family's arrival and the reveal, while actress Glenn Close (who personally nominated the family for the makeover) and a military escort looked on.

Hill's quiet gratitude was worth a thousand words, and for a man who has clearly sacrificed so much for his country, it seemed the least he could be given in return.

japal

Thank you. I am so thankful to everyone that has served in the miltary. It is nice that someone gave them a little reward from their services. Thank you for so much for giving us the opporunity to enjoy the freedom that we do.

November 09 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Penny

These things always make me cry, but especially for our war heroes, for whom without, we couldn't enjoy lifes pleasures. Thank you never seems to be enough, but it is said from deep inside of us !

November 07 2011 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frankbvt

I think this is absolutely the best show on television, what Ty and his staff and the other celebrities and the local community members who take part do is simply amazing. Week after week, every show brings tears to my eyes, and words are totally inadequate in trying to express my feelings.

November 07 2011 at 12:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lexchange

who really cares about how they felt or what they did when we came home.. we were brothers over there and now. we will also be one.. we are one of a kind....and im respect all of you.. tip your hat to a older w.w.2 vet and they know what we did and went thought. and yes i was drafted...... bill 23inf. lrrp 68-69 1 core

November 07 2011 at 12:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lexchange's comment
stroker328

I know how you feel. I was afraid to wear my uniform when I came home "alone" wounded, crippled, homeless, and unemployed. I was told by my friends that returned before me not to wear it or I'll be spit on. Bill, 1/1/9 th Marines, 66-68

November 07 2011 at 12:40 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
blackhelo

Damn! Brought ttears to my eyes as well.
Thanks Sarge.
GOD bless our troops,
Past, Present and Future..

November 07 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Don

It's about time todays Vets get a thank you for the sacrifices they have given for our country. I was in Vietnam and all I got was feces thrown at me.

November 07 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Don's comment
kaykartz

Don, Thank you and welcome home.

November 07 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stroker328

Remember, we Viet vets not only lost the war, but we didn't turn a profit. Bill 1/1/9 Marines, 66-68

November 07 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to stroker328's comment
Penny

Some of us were too young to understand the Vietnam War, but now that we've grown we thank you with all our hearts ! The only thing I would throw is my arms around you.

November 07 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
ayyiyicaramba

Hey stroker328,

Hey Pal - You're a Real POS! FYI: Nothing upsets true and "authentic" U.S. ARMY & USMC Vietnam War "GRUNTS" more than your Totally STUPID and FALSE claim that ---"we Viet Vets...lost the war..."
Pay attention Jerk! Then South Vietnam fell to the VC/NVA years AFTER all U.S. Combat Forces had already been withdrawn.

Also: Your alleged USMC service during the years '66-'68 indicates to me you was either: a "Lifer" and/or, a non-grunt "REMF" who did NOT mind performing "extra tours" of duty BEHIND the wire.

Signed

A Very Proud US Army "RA" [11B2P] "Grunt"
Recon, 4/503d/173 AIRBORNE BRIGADE (Sep.)
Binh Dinh Province - '69-'70.

November 07 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
WolfmanPaulN

i am glad to see that todays vet,s are getting more respect then the Viet Nam vets got when they came home

November 07 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to WolfmanPaulN's comment
brickzz12

Amen to that!!
1st Air Cav '67-'68

November 07 2011 at 11:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dsvtyi

When it comes to love, age is nothing. So no matter how big the age difference. If you really love her, and also she has the same the feeling, everything goes easy. I met my older guy who is 25 years older than me at αgelessdate.CoM and we enjoy this big age gap relationship. The big age gap love is really an extremely wonderful different romance.You may have a try. Good luck!32423432

November 07 2011 at 10:49 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
YellowRose3218

Thank you Mr. Hill.
You deserve everything good that life has to offer, plus my full respect.

November 07 2011 at 10:41 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply