December 18, 2014

'Survivor' Winner Ethan Zohn Runs NYC Marathon

by Crystal Bell, posted Nov 7th 2011 11:00AM
Ethan Zohn NYC marathonJust a week after news spread that Ethan Zohn's cancer had returned, the 'Survivor: Africa' winner proved that he wasn't going to let the cancer crush his spirits by completing the New York City marathon.

It was an emotional moment for both Zohn and his girlfriend or eight years, Jenna Morasca, who was there when he received the news that his cancer had returned to his lungs. But Zohn wasn't going to let his aching body stop him from achieving his goal. He was determined to outrun the cancer.

"My quads were burning, my hamstrings felt like they were about to rip off," he told People magazine after the marathon. "But I knew with every step I was crushing little cancer cells on the road. I even wrote 'f--k canzer' on the bottom of my shoes. That's what kept me going."

In 2009, Zohn was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called CD20-positive Hodgkin's lymphoma. After undergoing treatment, Zohn revealed he was cancer-free in late April 2010. Sadly, his caner returned in September On Oct. 18, he began a new cancer treatment, a smarter form of chemotherapy that only targets the cancerous cells.

Even though Zohn has a long way to go, including a possible stem cell transplant, the doctor gave the 'Survivor' winner permission to run the NYC marathon, a feat he not only did for himself but also to raise money for his Grassroot Soccer organization, which promotes HIV/AIDS education and prevention.

When he hit a wall during mile 18, John had the NYC crowd's overwhelming support to help him through the last eight miles. "Literally it was like walking into a surprise party that was organized just for me. 'Go Ethan! Keep running! Outrun cancer!' It was really an incredible experience," he told the magazine.

Zohn finished the race in 4:20:46, and Morasca was there to greet him at the finish line. "She was right there, by my side, as always," said Zohn. With her support, Zohn will now face his next battle -- his next chemotherapy treatment -- on Tuesday.

But he doesn't want to think of that just yet. Instead, he's just going to look at it as a simple checkup because right now, he has some celebrating to do.

"Finishing the marathon gave me more confidence and strength," he told the magazine. "It really felt like all of New York was cheering for me today. And I am going to get through this."

Linda

Best Wishes for complete healing in this latest battle Ethan....

November 07 2011 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
unityday01

Dear Ethan, I am so sorry to hear of your replase of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I want to wish you the very best during this difficult time. My prayers are with you and your family during this time. In 2006, at the age of 21 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Now, I am a five year survivor. You are the Ultimat Survivor and have already proven that through your courageous battle. I commend you of all your efforts and wish you and your family the very best for today and in the future. Stay strong and take time out for yourself and your family. Again, I wish you the best as always and my prayers are with you and your family. Take care, God Bless. Warren

November 07 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aalexan157

i hope the smarter chemo works for you Ethan. i lost my husband on July 3rd of this year to bladder cancer that spread everywhere. you were one of my husband's favorite Survivor winners and i pray for you to survive this newest bout of cancer.

November 07 2011 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jpdes707

Ethan is a true testament of courage and grace. I pray that God lets him live to a long and fulfilled life with his beloved Jenna.

November 07 2011 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
poppy3443

AS A FORMER NEW YORK MARATHON RUNNER I APPLAUD ETHAN ON HIS COURAGE AND WILL PRAY FOR HIS CURE FROM THAT DREADED DESEASE ARTIE LEPORIN

November 07 2011 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lammy Nicole

Best of Luck too one cancer patient to another! I know you'll be OK, Ethan!

At Ryan C. We're in a life and death situation, and all you can post about is "Spell Check"? I pray that is the worst thing you ever have to be concerned with.

November 07 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lammy Nicole's comment
unityday01

HI, I wish you the best. As a Cancer Survivor, Cancer is a life and death situation. I hope everything works out. Take care.

November 07 2011 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailneuman

I really hope he'll be OK

November 07 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Hello Hello

November 07 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stekmo

the stem cell transplants are rough, but they work. my mom had one for lymphoma in 2006. right now, she's at work ; ) best of luck ethan

November 07 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ryan C

do you not have spellcheck? There are so many errors in this article.

November 07 2011 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply