April 20, 2014

Save Our Stars: Actors We Want to Rescue from Bad or Blah Shows

by Maureen Ryan, posted Nov 8th 2011 1:30PM
SOS ListIt happens every year: Disappointing new shows arrive on our TV screens, and they not only leave us cold, they also drag some of our favorite performers down into the muck of mediocrity. If only we could wave a magic wand and free these actors from disappointing or inconsistent vehicles!

As it stands, however, the majority of the shows listed below -- from 'Ringer' to 'American Horror Story' -- have been picked up for full seasons or given additional seasons. As you might imagine, this is not news that fills me with joy. I'd love to see the performers below released from their current gigs one way or another. I say this from love: If 'Ringer' killed off Nestor Carbonell's cop character, I wouldn't shed a tear. Rather, I'd rejoice at the idea that the actor would be free to be awesome on another (ideally excellent) program.

I limited this list to actors on shows that premiered in 2011 (otherwise it might be 200 names long). And I'm sure you have actors you wish you could free from underwhelming shows: Share your nominees in the comment area.

Craig Ranapia

Wow, aren't you AHS fans a classy bunch? Do you people kiss your gimps with those mouths?

November 14 2011 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nikita

Maureen...I just keep reading the comments and these people are doing your job for you! LOLOLOL!! You are one smart cookie...get them stirred up about the hottest show this season. EVERYONE...MAUREEN HAS A JOB...IT'S CALLED 'GETTING EVERYONE TO WATCH "THE" SHOW'. You are making her money and ensuring job security. You go girl!!!!

November 12 2011 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nikita

see,,,dharr41881...you are helping Maureen do her job by making AHS one of the hottest talked about shows. You are like cattle being led to slaughter. Keep up the good work Maureen, even when you tell them what you're doing they just keep going BAHAHAHAHAHA

November 12 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dharr41881

You, Maureen Ryan, are a moron. American Horror Story is quite possibly the best damn show on TV right now, and may even be the best show on TV in years. The fan base is growing exponentially on a daily basis. Take a little trip to their Facebook page. 99.9% of the comments are "My favorite show. . . . Best show on TV." If that's not enough for you then yes, add in the fact that the show was renewed for another season only 4 episodes into the series. This show rocks. You are clearly out of touch with the mainstream. Based on your negative review of AHS, I would certainly not trust your opinion on any show. Care to make a little wager with me? This show will be up for all sorts of awards. Jessica Lange will without question receive a nomination. Connie Brighton is awesome. For the record, Friday Night Lights just coincidentally was also a favorite show of mine. I was heartbroken when it went off the air. Now Connie is in AHS and it is my favorite show. I'd say I know how to pick them, you clearly don't. Looking forward to hearing from your replacement. . . . . Chins.

November 12 2011 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nikita

Okay all of you idiots pounding Maureen. Do you even get it...have a clue???? She is writing this for the responses of AHS to PROMOTE IT. How stupid are you people that you can't figure something that simple out?????

November 12 2011 at 10:15 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
nikita

Love "Persons of Interest". This guy is good. Multi-billionaire, worked at his own company as an accountant, and works to help mankind. His side kick is GORGEOUS, but he plays a great recluse and is on top of everything, even his "worker" trying to find out who, what and where he is.

November 12 2011 at 10:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nikita

One word for Connie....Snarky

November 12 2011 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnwharmon1

Connie is too good to be in a damn horror show....I Love You Connie

November 12 2011 at 9:43 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to johnwharmon1's comment
nikita

"I love you Connie"????? Get a grip, or go get your rubber doll.

November 12 2011 at 10:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
First L

I "hate" watching Connie in anything. She's always snarly and bitchy, and she's dried up like a prune.

November 12 2011 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnwharmon1

connie is too good to be in horrol movides.

November 12 2011 at 9:38 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to johnwharmon1's comment
nikita

John...you are quite the moron. Please explain horrol movides to me? Oh, you must be smoking crack, put the pipe down, you sound like an idiot.

November 12 2011 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply