October 2, 2014

'Glee' Season 3, Episode 5 Recap: Let's Talk About Sex (VIDEO)

by Crystal Bell, posted Nov 8th 2011 9:05PM
glee season 3, episode 5 recap After last week's so-so episode, I got a little worried for 'Glee.' Even though Season 3 is already better than a majority of the cringe-worthy Season 2, viewers seem like they're getting a little gleeked out. Honestly, I can't blame them. 'Glee' hasn't always been a show that prides itself on character development -- but after watching 'First Time,' I hope people start to change their minds.

Guys, our show is starting to come back, and it's more heartfelt than ever.

Okay, so it wasn't a perfect episode by any means. Initially, I was thrown off by Artie, who seemed to be playing some sort of naughty-minded cupid, and by Rachel and Blaine's blatant naivety, but halfway in, I started to see the episode's heart. It wasn't about teenagers having sex, it was about love. That can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series forever kind of love.

Everyone was getting a little love this week. Well, except for Mike Chang, but I'll get to that later.

Let's start with Rachel and Finn, affectionately known as Finchel. Rachel's life is pretty much perfect. Seriously, she's the lead in the school play, tied for no. 1 in the polls for class president, and she has the hottest guy in school. According to Miss Berry, her life can't get any better (even though it looks like Hummel Berry is still on the outs). That is, until Artie screws everything up by telling his two starring leads -- Rachel and Blaine -- that they lack passion.

After all, how can Rachel and Blaine play Tony and Maria if they're virgins? Because that's never been done before, right? So for the first half of the episode, Rachel is on a mission to lose her v-card by Friday night's opening number, and it's just as unsettling as it sounds. I know that Brittany is usually the glee club's tokken dunce, but Rachel really comes in a close second this week.

Meanwhile, Finn has a lot on his mind. His girlfriend and his brother are both running for class president, he's losing his reign over the glee club and there's a recruiter for Ohio State University coming to Friday night's big game. And now his girlfriend basically wants to use him for sex? Now that's pressure.

After speaking to her trusted group of girlfriends -- Tina, Quinn, Brittant and Santana -- Rachel has a revelation. She really does love Finn! And what she did to him was super lame. We also learn that Mike and Tina did the deed last summer, and it was the best moment of Tina's life. You only have one first love, after all. Inspired by Tina's advice, Rachel decides that she's ready to lose her virginity to Finn -- because she's head over heels in love with him.

However, Finn isn't really in the mood to do it. It turns out the recruiter didn't see a future for Finn at Ohio State, and in a truly touching moment, Finn is scared. He's scared of his future. He's not talented enough for college football or a good enough singer NYADA (I have to agree on that one). Does this mean he'll take over Burt's shop when he inevitably gets elected? Looks like only time will tell.

But do you know what Finn has that no one else does? Rachel's v-card. Yeah, it happens. It's super adorable and delicate.

Now let's move on to Kurt and Blaine -- aka Klaine. I'm going to throw out a warning to you all: I'm a self-described Klaine fangirl, and I have to admit when I saw the chemistry between Blaine and the new "evil" Warbler, Sebastian. Don't hate me fangirls, but I don't hate Sebastian. In fact, I think we can thank him for making Blaine realize how important Kurt is to him. And ... he's kind of cute.

glee season 3, episode 5 recapHonestly, Klaine needs a little drama. Week after week, Kurt and Blaine walk around all lovey-dovey and perfect, so it's about time that they get thrown a bit of drama. And I'm perfectly okay with more screen time for the Dalton Warblers. I missed those crisp uniforms and those preppy dance moves. The Warblers were totally born to sing 'Uptown Girl.'

As we already know, Sebastian is all googly-eyed for Blaine, and in an attempt to spice up Klaine's relationship, he invites them to a gay bar for a little fun. It's nice to see what Lima has to offer, you know?

Even the return of Karofsky was a welcomed treat. We never really knew what happend to Kurt's closeted bully. It turns out Karofsky transfered schools. He was too afraid that he was going to be outed at McKinley. So now he spends his Thursday nights at Scandals, the only gay bar in West Lima. I'm not sure how I feel about the name of the bar. Scandals ... really, 'Glee'? We know, being gay in Lima is scandalous, but that's a little too much, no?

After one beer, Blaine is feeling a little tipsy, and in a blaze of passion, he forces himself on Kurt. But Kurt doesn't want his first time to be in the back of a car with his drunk boyfriend. Offended -- and probably a little humiliated -- Blaine leaves Kurt in the Scandals parking lot. Now that's drama.

But don't fret fangirls, they obviously reconcile after opening night. They love each other, after all. In one of the sweetest scenes of the episode, Blaine tells Kurt that he would never let Sebastian come between them, and then Kurt invites himself over to Blaine's place ... and I think you can guess what happened.

Unlike most teen shows, Finchel and Klaine's first times were tender, sweet and almost too private. It was refreshing to see two couples, both with rabid fan-bases, share such an intimate moment. Not to mention that it was interjected with Rachel and Blaine's beautiful performance of 'One Hand, One Heart,' making the moment even more tender.

I also can't remember the last time a network show was so progressive. Kurt and Blaine -- and their relationship -- inspires gay youth in a way that we haven't seen on network television yet. I think that they're amazing role models for all teens -- gay or straight.

Meanwhile, Coach Bieste is in love with a guy named Cooter, who just happens to be the recruiter from Ohio State University. And after a little help from Artie, Bieste officially gets asked out on her first date. It was pretty hard not to feel emotional when Scooter tells her that he thinks she's perfect. Seriously, there might have been tears.

We also learn that Papa Chang is not so happy with his son for joining the school musical behind his back. Did anyone else this this was a little random? Out of nowhere, Mike's dad comes storming down the hall and yells at him. However, seeing the look of sadness in his eyes when his father basically disowns him was heartbreaking. I would love to see another episode dedicated to Mike and his family issues. It's definitely one of the more interesting plots of the season.

Last week, we were introduced to Rory Flanagan, but unfortunately, for all of you Damian McGinty fans, 'The Glee Project' winner only got one line in this episode. But at least it's a funny one, right? How could a Irish kid faking a bad Puerto Rican accent not be funny? I just hope that this episode is not apart of his seven-episode arc because that would make me sad.

But do you want to know what really made this episode great? Sue was MIA -- and it was exactly what the show needed. As much as I love Jane Lynch, I'm really tired of Sue. Personally, I think 'Glee' needs to ditch the 'Sue is trying to destroy the glee club ... AGAIN!' storyline. It's really getting old. Having a break from Sue and her crazy antics was a welcomed surprise this week. Let's just hope it stays that way for a little while longer.

Best lines of the night:

Artie's opening monologue: "It doesn't matter if he's in prison like Gandhi, of if he's trapped inside a woman's body like Chaz Bono or stuck in a wheelchair like me. When a man finds his calling, all is right in his world."

Artie, on that awkward moment when he lost his virginity to Brittany: "Even though she called me the wrong name, like, four times, during and after."

Hello Sebastian: "Once a Warbler, always a Warbler, right?" -- Okay, Ponyboy, calm down.

Cue the Blaine fangirl moment: "Let's just say, I miss Dalton everyday, but McKinley is where my heart is."

Santana, on sleeping with Finn: "It was like being smothered by a sweaty bag of patatos that somebody soaked in body spray."

Puck, on his sex life: "As for the condoms, no, I've never used them. It's worked out for me about 99 percent of the time."

Tina, on her first love, Mike Chang: "He's my first love, and I'll always look back at that moment as absolutely perfect. No regrets."

Karofsky, to Kurt: "I'm what they call a bear cub." -- Only because he's young, otherwise, he'd be a bear, obviously.

Kurt's best line of the night, to Blaine: "I wanted to be your gay bar superstar."

'Glee' airs Tuesdays at 8PM ET on Fox.

hvan

We watch this show with our teenage daughter every week. While there are some eye rolling moments for us parents, there is almost always a good storyline for us to discuss. I'm pleased with their sex episode. It was intelligently done and honest. Kids are going to have sex. At least this opens up an easier conversation point.

November 09 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Billy Whitaker

It should be Bear Cub not cup.

November 09 2011 at 10:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
codemanz4

Crystal,

When you say you "can't remember when a network show has been this progressive", you probably forgot about Harry's Law, Gray's Anatomy, Private Practice, Modern Family, and about 50 other shows that are on the air. If you buy all this stuff, you and the other viewers are probably the reason Obama is President and spending us into oblivion.

This show is crap. It asks us to believe crap. And after this season the crap will be flushed down the toilet.

THIS SHOW MUST DIE!!!!!

November 09 2011 at 8:48 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Piecar

Kurt as KRUPKE???

I am well past the high school age, but I like this show. It has had some rough episodes...But this one was really really good. Santana killed Anita. The sex issue was dealt with intelligently. They closed a very controversial story arc with warmth(I mean the Karofsky one). Beiste gets some good action with the dumb trooper from Starship Troopers. And my fave thing. They made it so not everyone gets to follow a dream. It was a very real moment Finn experienced. I wish there was more stuff from West Side Story, and I thought the irate Dad was over the top, but a very good ep nonetheless.

November 09 2011 at 12:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BC

"Scandals"

You're right. "Manhole" or "Mineshaft" would much more appropriate for Lima, OH. Sarcasm aside, you've never been to an actual gay bar, have you?

November 09 2011 at 12:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Cole

Crystal I want to thank you for being one of the only reviewers out there who still sees glee for what it is. A lifechanging/saving dramatic device for anyone who is different. I'm a gay 25 year old male and as such I only wish I could have seen this episode in high school and been told that I'm normal. say what you will but this show on FOX (ironic isn't it) is going to change the way anyone who feels or is different looks at themselves. It's going to show the world that a boy and a girl and a boy and a boy go through the same trials and the same achievements, the same loves and the same loss. Im proud to watch this show and I'm so happy that it's here to explain to everyone that we're all different because there's always moments where everyone feels different. Glee is far from perfect but really who or what is. Thank you Crystal for seeing this beautiful and heartfelt episode for what it is and thats life. Sadly though I believe Scooters name was actually Cooter. Not much better. Lol thanks again!

November 08 2011 at 10:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jordan Cole's comment
Crystal Bell

Your comment just made my night! Even in its sweetness, that last Kurt and Blaine scene says so much, and I hope LGBT youth can be inspired by that. We all go through the same "firsts" -- gay or straight. I'm just so happy you enjoyed the episode as much as I did!

November 08 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Crystal Bell's comment
Jordan Cole

I agree and im glad to make your night. Try one thing, next time you start to feel like glee is lacking or a charachter has done something not like "themselves" or the like try to remember certain events in highschool where someone you knew said one thing to u then the next day says and does another and so on. I use to get frustrated like the rest of the audience that the kids were bipolar but then i realized most high school kids are bipolar acting, until I just sat back and remembered things from high school. We were very immature even then we acted one way then moments later pretended it didn't happen. Acted out. Like someone then 24 hours we were in love with someone else. The uncohesiveness of the average high school persona is what I think glee captures perfectly. But until people look at it that way it seems a mess. Nontheless if u begin to look at glee that way it begins to make sense how true to life the kids are. (im not say ryan and company never dropped the ball i just think they hovered with it more than we think.) It's our own desire as viewers for a cookie cutter story that makes our view disjointed. Sue is the only charachter that i think is portrayed untrue to life. This women would never try to destroy these kids after everything they've done for her. But I think there on the right track with Sue's storyline this season give her one final generalized arc that involves the destruction of glee (recently to make way for special education which is needed i think. Let her see her mistakes one final time. Then bury the hatchet and have her drop her onelines while she does other things. Does this make any sense to u Crystal or other viewers?
P.S. Crystal I'm an aspiring popculture writer who wants to know how to get a job with you guys or even contribute to AolTv. If u have any advice my email is jce.logins@gmail.com. Thanks again!!!

November 09 2011 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Jason Brees

I have seen this episode online through this website. You can also go to this link to watch Glee TV Show. http://glee-episode.info/......Its really interesting and amazing episode.

November 08 2011 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coreyrc

I'm sorry, but despite what the PTC or any of the Glee haters say, this show is fantastic. I was seriously squealing like a rabid fangirl every time Blaine and Kurt started talking or Blaine would begin talking about how much he loves Kurt. And I really like how they sort of brought Karofsky back into the show. Kinda wish they'd have a bit more resolution there, but otherwise GREAT!

November 08 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Coreyrc's comment
Crystal Bell

I see that you and I are both proud Klaine shippers! I liked that they brought Karofsky back, but I absolutely agree that there needed to be more resolution there. I think Glee had the opportunity to have another really powerful coming out storyline and they missed it. Instead, they had Karofsky run away from it and hide. But at least he's embracing his sexuality now, even though it's in secrecy.

November 08 2011 at 9:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Crystal Bell's comment
Coreyrc

It's nice to receive a reply to a comment post that wasn't just Glee-haters hating or homophobes...phobing....

November 10 2011 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down