October 22, 2014

'X Factor' Contestant Rachel Crow Was a 'Crack Baby,' Says Mother

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 9th 2011 11:45AM
Rachel Crow X FactorRachel Crow, a 13-year-old contestant on Fox's 'The X Factor,' has been wowing judges with her singing talent, but now details about her troubled childhood have surfaced.

According to E! News, Rachel's birth mother used cocaine while she was pregnant with her. After she was born, Rachel lived in a crack house before being placed in foster care. The New York Post first reported the story.

"She was born a crack baby and actually lived in a crack house and suffered a lot of abuse," Rachel's adoptive mother, Barbara Crow, told the Post. "But she is totally unaffected by it. She never looks at [her past] in a sad way. She looks at it as that is what made her the person she is."

Rachel said she thinks of the couple who adopted her as her real parents. Her birth parents had their parental rights terminated when Rachel was taken by Social Services. Rachel came to the Crows when she was six months old and was formally adopted a year later.

'The X Factor' hasn't featured this aspect of her past, but Rachel said she's speaking out now to help others. If she wins the show's $5 million prize, Crow told the Post she would put it towards helping foster kids.

"I want to build a foundation that makes them feel good about themselves -- whether they want to sing or act or whether they want be in sports or go to Harvard," she said. "I want to make sure they get to chase their dreams."

gabbys new mom

she was eliminated the night before i would find out if the adoption of my grandchild was going to be final, I cried like a baby when she was eliminated like she was my own, I was adopting my daughters baby after her rights was also taken from her, her drug of choice was herion, gabby went through with draws from the drugs. she is now 3 years old and a beautful little girl.I just wish her mother would have gotton her life together. It is rough on me trying to work and support her in the way she deserves.

December 23 2011 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blondi6161

Rachel is a breath of sunshine a gift from God and I know she will make it big I'm sure Simon will make sure of that...Rachel is a little Angel with an awesome voice!!! I will be buying her CD !!!!

December 10 2011 at 8:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bigsister75

i think she should have won

December 09 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
btdt1951

Her life story is the reason she was left on the show as long as she was, not her talent. These stupid shows are a bunch of big whoop! They are a waste of time and that is why I don't watch them.....

December 09 2011 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

lets hope fame does not got her head and she stays the beautiful loving girl she is now...bravo rachel..you are awsome

November 25 2011 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charlesgrimes201

Rachel Crow , didn't get to pick who or what her birth mother was. that child is a gift from GOD,and HE put that angel in a loving home with two great parents that love her ,that should be all that matter. SO TO ALL OF YOU that has something bad to say about Rachel should take a look at there lives because it sounds like your the one has a ****** UP LIFE!!!

November 25 2011 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tamm

yall need to just let that mess rest leave the past in the past and stop wasting time with it in the future and present what happened then is over said and done but should absoulutely not come up when rachel is growing and starting her future

November 14 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harleygirl92505

I just love this breath of sunshine... she is beautiful inside and out... weather her life comes out now or later it will come about. she has great parents now that certainly love her and God gifted her with a fabulous voice. I just love watching her little sassy expressions while she sings. and at the end she has that sunshine smile. God bless you Rachel Crow and I hope you win the 5 mil. contract. not because of your history because you are a star.. i will buy anything you sing..... I loved you when you first auditioned and your little personality came out. then this voice that only could be gifted from God... Don't let the lime light ever destroy your sunshine personality... and to the posts that think you should'nt win I just don't know why they feel that way... but you have my vote little miss sunshine....

November 12 2011 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigred18

rachael is beautiful child, i adore , but i do agree with some , that's to personal and some of your personal business should be with you, lots of them think that when they tell these sad stories that , that's gonna make people feel sorry for them and let them win, but everyone has some sort of sad story to tell about their life, and the best singer should win, and not bedause of their sad stories, like i said racheal is beautiful child and i adore her, but she is not the one should be winning this competition.

November 12 2011 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply