April 16, 2014

Ashton Kutcher Apologizes for Controversial Joe Paterno Tweet

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 10th 2011 7:03AM
'Two and a Half Men' star Ashton Kutcher's been hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons recently, and last night he dug himself a massive hole to climb out of thanks to his prolific use of Twitter.

Kutcher set off a firestorm with a controversial tweet (which has since been taken down from his page) in which he criticized the firing of Penn State Head Football Coach Joe Paterno: "How do you fire Jo Pa? #insult #noclass as a hawkeye fan I find it in poor taste."

After thousands of furious Twitter followers blasted his post, Kutcher then tweeted apologies, saying he didn't have the full story when he posted the first tweet: "This is an insane story, I just heard paterno was fired, getting the rest of the story now..." and "Fully recant previous tweet! ... Didn't have full story. #admitwhenYoumakemistakes."

He later tweeted: "As of immediately I will stop tweeting until I find a way to properly manage this feed. I feel awful about this error. Won't happen again."

Joe Paterno and the president of Penn State University were fired Wednesday in fallout from a child sex abuse scandal and cover-up involving a former assistant coach and school officials.

Kutcher and his wife Demi Moore are co-founders of the DNA Foundation, which specifically aims to "end child sex slavery." Referring to their work, Kutcher tweeted "As an advocate in the fight against child sexual exploitation, I could not be more remorseful for all involved in the Penn St. case."

Ironically, the front page of the foundation's website currently features a photo of a football player with the headline "Football for Good." It also carries a Twitter feed showing numerous retweets of 'Late Show' writer Justin Stangel's scathing: "Tell me if right: You're against child trafficking unless it's with college football staff."

AOL TV recently wondered if Kutcher's recent offscreen antics were a case of life imitating art for the 'Two and a Half Men' star, and asked if headlining a hit TV show and topping the list of highest paid TV actors was giving him a false sense of entitlement. There's been no comment yet from CBS or 'Men' creator Chuck Lorre, but could this latest scandal be the final nail in the coffin for the show?

What do you think? Has Ashton Kutcher gone too far this time?

'Two and a Half Men' airs Mondays, 9PM ET on CBS.

Follow Catherine on Twitter: @TVClaw

undaunted8

Anyone who hires this no-talent waste of space idiot should be taken out back and shot.....

November 11 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JimmyB

Kutch joined a show that routinely jokes about hiring hookers. Nothing wrong with that, except he's been very public about going after a newspaper that accepts ads from adult hookers. If he had any principles, he wouldn't have accepted the part, but obviously he doesn't have any when it comes to money. What a phony. Bring back Charlie Sheen, as least he's honest.

November 10 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JimmyB's comment
zack120

If they paid you that kind of money you would do it too.

November 11 2011 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bblond88

hE KNEW THE FULL STORY. HE JUST DISAGREED WITH THE FIRING

November 10 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristine100

This always happens when these so called "stars" like to open their big mouths and proving their ignorance.

On the Paterno story. I keep hearing that these were children who were molested by this asst. coach. Just how old are these children? This is college isn't it? So I guess some 19 or 20 year old doesn't have a mouth and report this himself? The stories make it sound like these are just 10 year old kids, not college students! I'd be willing to bet they open their mouths about every thing else!

November 10 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawrence G

what do expect, he's an idiot. No telent !

November 10 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tomissister

Well, I am not an Ashton fan, per say - I really just don't care about him. But - on the Joe Paterno thing - the guy who saw and heard the sexual incident is still at Penn State. Paterno reported what he was told up to his bosses...ummmm! So, if someone told you of an incident like this, what would you do? Encourage him to tell the police? That's what I would do - go to the police myself on what someone else told me? Probably not.. I am not a fan of Paterno or Penn State but I think Ashton may be correct here. Let's look at the facts, guys. Oh, by the way, the Penn. DA investigated this and dropped the charges - who is at fault here?

November 10 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crazy ray

Gee, this was the first time I ever agreed with AK. Just goes to show you.

November 10 2011 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenda

I wonder what Ashton will be like when he finally ''grows up.''

November 10 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Margie

Just another reason why Hollywood should shut up! He had access to the same information as the rest of the world and he still decided to post something stupid.

November 10 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

Kutcher should just shut up! He is irrelevant and must think we're all really stupid. He is an idiot and needs to go away. Please stop watching anything he is in! That is the only way we'll get rid of this *ss.

November 10 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply