September 18, 2014

Charlie Rose and Gayle King to Host 'The Early Show'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 11th 2011 7:40AM
Gayle KingLast December there was a veritable bloodbath over at CBS when 'The Early Show' axed anchors Harry Smith and Maggie Rodriguez, plus meteorologist Dave Price, in a major reshuffle of CBS News on-air talent. Now it's been reported that early 2012 will see the show receive another makeover including a new set, maybe a new name, and two new hosts: PBS veteran Charlie Rose and Oprah's BFF Gayle King.

According to 'The New York Times' CBS will announce the planned revamp in New York on Tuesday. The network is expected to reveal a shift in direction away from the coffee klatch feel of most morning talk shows and towards a focus on hard news with the panel format of shows like MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' and ABC's 'The View.'

Current co-host Chris Wragge will reportedly lose his job in the reshuffle, but Erica Hill and Jeff Glor will keep theirs. Hill -- who was promoted when Smith et al. were fired -- will anchor the 7-8AM hour with '60 Minutes' contributor Rose. Meanwhile King will take on the 8--9AM slot with the aid of featured correspondents and contributors.

In a statement Thursday Wragge said, "CBS has been my home since 2004 and will be for the foreseeable future in whatever capacity they want. I am loyal and grateful to CBS."

Insiders say that Rose will keep his night-time PBS interview show, with 'The New York Post' reporting that losing it would be a dealbreaker for him. But Rose's friends do apparently have some concerns that his new work hours could be challenging. The 'Post' quotes one as saying "Charlie's never woken up before 10AM. He's one of New York's great night owls." Meanwhile, a CBS executive joked to the 'Times,' "Is there a curfew for morning TV anchors? We won't have one."

Although King may seem an unlikely choice at first, she does have solid live TV and morning show chops: She currently hosts two shows on Oprah's OWN network -- 'The Gayle King Show' and 'Ask Oprah's All Stars' -- and she's been a regular 'Morning Joe' contributor. The new head of the 'Early Show,' who's leading it through the new changes, is none other than 'Morning Joe' creator Joe Licht who, the 'Post' says, "sees Gayle as a Mika [Brzezinski] for Charlie [Rose], who would be the Joe [Scarborough]."

Don't expect any 'Early Show' japery with the new format. In a clear dig at the antics of 'Today' co-hosts Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford, an insider told the 'Times': "We're not going to be sipping chardonnay and dressing up in costumes. There are really serious issues that morning shows should be talking about right now."

When Smith and the others were axed back in December 2010, CBS News President Sean McManus said "This new team brings vibrancy, intelligence and warmth that I think America will grow to love." However, ratings have remained disappointing, and an 'Early Show' source told the 'Times' that CBS is trying something totally new precisely because of its failure to overtake 'Today' and 'GMA.'

Tell us: Would you watch Charlie Rose and Gayle King on 'The Early Show?'

Follow Catherine on Twitter: @TVClaw.

Mark Manchusic

We have watched Charlie Rose all his life. He is most intelligent. Just the thought of teaming him up with G. King is is......... cannot bear to think about it any longer.

March 04 2012 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I AM DISAPPOINTED IN THE EARLY SHOW; IN FACT, I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING IT. I LOVED TURNING ON
THE SHOW IN THE MORNING WHEN IT WAS INTERESTING. THE NEWS WAS VERY CURRENT AS WELL
AS OTHER NEWS OF THE PAST. I DON'T LIKE THE SEATING ARRANGEMENT. THERE IS NO CONVERSATION
AND LIGHT HEARTEDNESS AMONG ERICA, GAYLE, AND THE NEW ANNOUNCER. I MISS SOMEOF THE
ANNOUNCERS, THAT WERE THERE. I NOW WATCH CH. 10 & SIX.

January 13 2012 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vernon.gray1

NEVER in a million years. An Oprah "want a be" and a tired old news guy. Who the hell is making these decisions. He should be replaced immediately. You just keep helping Matt.

January 06 2012 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cygre319

I definitely will give it a try. I know Gayle is into hard news & so is Charlie. If CBS will do investigative reporting and news, not entertainment, like we have been getting for more than 20 yrs. I am in. I don't mind keeping me informed on who is hot in Pop, Rock, Country, Classical music or controversial books. But tell me what is happening in the world, spoon feed me what is going on in the "Middle East". I periodically watch BBC on PBS to get what I consider World News. TY CBS for trying retro news. The government is testing food supplies, or organic growers, herbal medicines, etc. Shake up the morning.

January 03 2012 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notafanofgayle

Seriously...Gayle King? C'mon. I stuck with you all when you axed Harry, Maggie and Dave and I actually grew to like Erica, Chris and Jeff...actually, I love Jeff, but Gayle King. Sorry guys, I've been a CBS morning person for my whole adult life...I'm not sure what I'll start watching come January, but it won't be Gayle King. YUCK!

December 28 2011 at 10:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cat

I LOVE Charlie Rose ... I am glad he's not giving up the PBS gig -- just love that show. In the morning ... depends on how much control her has over what he is doing. Gail... not so sure ... but I will check it out.

November 30 2011 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cat's comment
Cat

*he has

November 30 2011 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jalbrk

I'll watch Charlie Rose anywhere. Will see if it works. It would be nice to have something serious on.

November 17 2011 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miss c

I love the Charlie Rose Show so I will test the new show...why not?

November 16 2011 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly

Gayle King is NOT what CBS needs right now. She's too much like Oprah and she sounds like her too.

November 16 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mamoquinm

You lost me when you fired Harry, Dave and Maggie.
Not coming back.