September 2, 2014

'Family Guy' 9/11 Episode: Did the Show Go Too Far This Time?

by AOL TV Staff, posted Nov 14th 2011 11:30AM
Family Guy'Family Guy' is no stranger to controversy, but did the Sun., Nov. 13 episode featuring a 9/11 satire go too far?

The episode, 'Back to the Pilot,' saw Stewie and Brian go back in time to 1999, the year the 'Family Guy' pilot aired on Fox, in an effort to change history.

Taking full advantage of his time-travel opportunity, Brian decides to inform his past self about the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The cartoon dog then prevents the events from ever happening, altering the 'Family Guy' future.

A second Civil War erupts, but the two eventually set that right too, saying "Let it happen," in regards to 9/11. Watch a clip from the episode below and let us know if 'Family Guy' crossed the line by rewriting the history of 9/11.

Did Family Guy's Sept. 11 episode go too far?
Yes4503 (21.8%)
No16108 (78.2%)

Brandy

No They didn't go too far, but the idea out there is maybe it should have happened cuz we'd be better off? I'm sure some ppl think so and that's just stupid. It's good that they call attention to it, cuz most ******* are too afraid to even mention it. The truth is it was planned by our government so we could invade Iraq. That should be obvious to everyone by now. But it wasn't to fight terrorism. It was to get oil. And Halliburton has made skyrocketing profits.

December 03 2012 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NoYOURmama

Family Guy especially -- or any comedy or comedian for that matter -- can never go "too far" because, well, it's their damn job to affect people! Of course some will always be offended or disturbed by something said, that's just the nature of "extreme" comedy. So buck up, whiners, it's meant to be funny, and if you find it offensive just sit back and reevaluate yourself. lmao

November 17 2011 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
It is what it is...

If you know Family Guy is offensive and don't like it then why would you watch it? Some people out there have no life and choose to watch shows they don't like just so they can complain. Yes 9/11 happened...and yes, it's going to be referenced in movies and t.v shows from time to time whether you like it or not. You can't stop Freedom of speech/expression but you can change the channel.

November 17 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bri-Chan

They've done worse. South Park has too. I mean I get it's heartbreaking, but we gotta move forward people. Never forget, but don't forget to live.

November 16 2011 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J

I've seen Family Guy cross the line waaaay worse than this. The 9/11 episode was actually timid for other things I've been offended by on this show. But again, I'm a fan. Sometimes they go too far, waay to far, but if you don't like it, or expect it, don't watch it.

November 16 2011 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheri

maybe Brian & Stewie could recreat the last election too.

November 16 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cheri's comment
Danielle

I really hope you dnt mean the presidential election......

November 17 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
trillion

super like!!!!!

November 18 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ashleybrookestar

No different then what they allow south Park to put out......soo no it isn't to much for t.v. in my opinion plus he did miss a plan that was to crash that day...so he sort of is a part of the 9/11 tragedy.... just my opinion though no need to listen to me :/

November 15 2011 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ashleybrookestar

November 15 2011 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BON JOUR JAE!

Considering that Seth Mcfarland is an actual 911 survivor... by missing that plane by 2 minutes I think he has the right to write about something that was life changing to him. It was a funny episode, I enjoyed it, I laughed and it made me think.

November 15 2011 at 5:45 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to BON JOUR JAE!'s comment
Bri-Chan

Are you serious?! Man that's incredible!

November 16 2011 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
It is what it is...

On the morning of September 11, 2001, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts. Suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations, and with an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.) from his travel agent, he arrived at Logan International Airport about ten minutes too late to board the flight as the gates had been closed.

November 17 2011 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ODENSHORES

I watched it on tv and thought it was hilarious.
I was a big fan of the 80's book series called "Choose your own adventure" where at certain spots in the book you can choose frome a few options. If you don't like how it turns out you can always go back and choose a different outcome.

I oftain wonder about events in out history what would happen if we did it different.
If we didn't go into Iraq , Afganistan, Korea, Viet Nam.
If the first George Bush had taken out Sadam..
Would there have been a 9-11 or if there still was we wouldn't be bothered with going into Iraq and just devestated Afganistan.

If we hadn't funneled money through Israel to the "freedom fighters" and just let Russia run amouck in Afganistan, would there be much left of that country and if so would they have any fight left to come after us.

Not to mention how Hitlers influence in the area was partially responsible for the Hussains rise to power.
(check the history channel for more on that)

The ripple effect of our dissisions.

November 15 2011 at 10:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply