October 24, 2014

'Glee' Season 3, Episode 6 Recap: Finn Pushes Santana Out of the Closet (VIDEO)

by Crystal Bell, posted Nov 16th 2011 12:30AM
glee mash off['Glee' -- 'Mash Off']

Hear that, gleeks? That was the slap heard around the world -- and it was also a huge wake-up call for 'Glee' fans everywhere because that was seriously one of my favorite episodes ever. Okay, so it had a little too much Sue Sylvester for my liking, but at least her slandering ways had a purpose this episode. Everything from the song choices to the tight choreography and witty one-liners made this episode a knock-out.

And since Puck's tacky "Hot for Teacher" serenade happens within the first five minutes, it's easy to forget it ever happens. On the other hand, the Troubletone's "Rumor Has It/Someone Like You" Adele mash-up is now second favorite 'Glee' song ever (because nothing can come close to "Teenage Dream" in my book).

Naya Rivera, you have officially become my favorite gleek. Sorry Chris Colfer, but you had your season last year, and although I still love you and your fabulous ensembles, now, it's Naya's chance to shine -- and Santana's coming out storyline is pretty explosive.

For starters, she didn't come out. She was pushed out by an angry, fed up Finn.

Now, this isn't the first time 'Glee' has dealt with a coming out storyline. In fact, Kurt's coming out scene in Season 1 is particularly memorable, but they've never pushed someone out of the closet quite like Santana. Like Karofsky, Santana has been hiding her sexuality behind rapid-fire insults and pointless bullying -- and in this scenario, her "Kurt" is glee club leader Finn.

After relentlessly picking on Finn -- and his new protege Rory -- for days, Finn explodes in the middle of the hall and outs Santana in front of the McKinley High student body. Even though Santana definitely deserved to be put in her place, outing her as a lesbian in front of everyone was a low move for Finn. Just when I started to like him and his boyish grin, Finn had to go and be a jerk. Not cool, bro.

You would think that after everything he's learned from Kurt that he would have been more sensitive. When Santana confronts him, he explains that it's okay because the whole school already knew. Yeah, Finn is definitely not winning any points in my book. Unfortunately, for Santana, their ugly hallway exchange turned into a political smear campaign after one of Sue's political opponents outs Santana in his campaign video.

And now, everyone knows her dirty little secret. She's not Santana anymore. She's Sue's lesbian Cheerio, and she hasn't even told her parents yet. Santana starts to cry, and it's only natural that Adele would start to play at the drop of a tear. After all, is there any other artist that can capture the sadness and raw emotion of that scene better than Adele? Santana truly owned that moment. Even Mercedes couldn't touch her.

Adele must have made Santana feel a little better because the next thing you know she explodes at Finn and slaps him in front of both glee clubs. Cue shocked expressions.

Does this mean that Brittana can finally be exclusive, without napkins? Maybe, but I'd like to see another Santana-centered episode where we can finally see her come to terms with her sexuality. Hopefully, this means that we'll get to meet Mr. and Mrs. Lopez -- and Santana's infamous abuela -- in an upcoming episode.

While Santana was dealing with coming out, Puck was dealing with coming clean to Shelby. Poor Van Halen covers aside, it was nice to see Puck finally fess up to Shelby about Quinn's crazy plan. It turned into a Quinn vs. Shelby verbal smack-down, and once again, Quinn looked like a raving looney. We get it. You're sad that you're not going to have anything to look forward to after graduation, but this isn't exactly your most brilliant plan, Quinn. In fact, all of your plans are crazy, and whatever chance you had to be apart of Beth's life flew out the window when you called Shelby a cash whore.

Also, can we talk about how happy I am that Shelby regrets her kiss with Puck? We already have one crazy with an ironic tattoo to deal with, and we definitely don't need another one.

Sadly, it looks likes Puck daddy is going to tell crazy Quinn about his smooch with Shelby, and since Quinn's totally off her rocker this season, this just might be the evidence she needs to prove that Shelby's an unfit mother. Oi vey.

On the upside, Hummel Berry is back! After realizing that she was being a horrible friend to Kurt by running against him for class president, Rachel Berry actually thought of someone else for once and publicly took herself out of the running, but not before telling everyone to vote for Kurt. I have to admit, Kurt's pledge to put an end to dodgeball -- aka the modern-day stoning -- at McKinley was a little over-the-top, but his message was sincere. Not to mention that Rory, the New Directions' magical new member, will probably appreciate it, especially after his dodgeball beat-down.

Poor Rory. He's really becoming the glee club punching bag this season. But if being the punching bag means that you get your first official glee club solo during the New Directions' extremely fun Hall & Oats mash-up, then I'm sure he doesn't mind taking a few hits. Rory and Tina did sound pretty adorable together, after all.

Also, I'm so happy that Rory got a makeover because let's face it, that ridiculous hair was not going last.

In other news, Blaine -- sans socks -- is still adorkable, even when he's rocking out to Van Halen with Mike Chang, and especially, when he suggests a mash-up of The Police. The "Don't Stand So Close to Me/Young Girl" mash-up was the first and last Will solo I ever enjoyed.

And while I'm happy that we got to hear Idina Menzel's gorgeous voice this episode, I wasn't really impressed with Mr. Schue and Shelby attempt to inspire their rival glee clubs to play nice with a little "You and I/You and I" mash-up. It was boring and forgettable, and it's pretty clear that Shelby is a little monster.

Best lines of the night:

Sue, being Sue: "Good luck with that, son of Burt "Baboon Heart" Hummel."

Brittany, after Schue and Shelby's duet: "Is this what having a stroke feels like because I like it."

Santana, on why she likes to insult people: "I'm from Lima Heights, I was raised on insults. My abuela put me to sleep on insults ... It wasn't until I got to kindergarten that I realized my name wasn't garbage face."

Puck, to Shelby: "I always thought of Beth as an accident, but she's no accident. Quinn and I gave her life, but somehow, through God or nature or whatever, you were always meant to raise her. You were always meant to be her mother."

Brittany for class president!: "If you honor me as your class president, I will make tornadoes illegal at McKinley."

My roommate, after watching Puck tell Shelby that he wants to be a father to Beth: "Oh my god. Puck daddy is so hot."

'Glee' airs Tuesdays at 8PM ET on Fox. In case you need to remind yourself why "Mash Off" was one of 'Glee's' finest, watch the Troubletones take on Adele below.

yankeessuck1234

Santana was not outed. She brought this on herself. If she didn't push Finn to his breaking point he never would have yelled at her.

When is someone going to call out Santana for the way she treats people? She is a bully and she needs to get hers.

May 19 2012 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
henninggirl

I do think that Shelby is to blame for this entire fiasco. She knew Quinn was a MESS, but is so self-involved about it all. She clearly doesn't see Quinn as a person in her own right. It's like she's just an extension of Drizzle. She's never cared to find out why Quinn is hurting so badly, just "stop being in pain as far as I can see, and you can see your/my baby!" and then, "What?! You're being destructive and are clearly in need of some deep counseling in my line of sight!!!! Oh the outrage, the horror!!.....I'm talking about mine of course." You know, the more I think about it, the less I like Shelby. Using your baby as a pawn to manipulate her teen mother into some weirdo, cozy half-life is really despicable. I am NOT excusing Quinn's behaviour. It's been as bad as it gets. She needs to remember when Mr. Schuester tore into her at the beginning of the season, suit-up and GET HELP!!! But Shelby is not just the adult in this, she's the parent and teacher adult.

November 16 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to henninggirl's comment
Tonia Sprague

Well first Shelby can see what Quinn's going through. She went through it herself with Rachel. But she did something with her life and that something lead her back to Rachel.
And on the part that she doesn't care what's going on with her: She knows what's going on! She has Quinn's baby but that's easy to know. The fact on the matter is Quinn has to grow up and except that Shelby is Beth's mom now. Now having said that, Quinn will always be her mother, but to Beth, Shelby will be "Mom"
As for the whole "using your baby as a pawn..." She's not. She doesn't want a psycho-path near her child. I think if anything she's a saint for letting Quinn in Beth's life at all. Shelby has full custody. She doesn't need to let Quinn or Puck into Beth's life.
The ending part about Shelby being a parent/adult/teacher thing, remember what she told Quinn at the end of the episode? Being a parent is about coming second in all ways. It's not about you anymore it's about making sure that kid is happy and healthy (that's not an actual quote but that pretty much sums up what she says). If Quinn was really ready to be a mom she would have realized long ago that Beth being with Shelby will give Beth the happiest, most successful life.
Plus Quinn even says that she wants Beth back because "Beth is perfect. She's my perfect thing." in that sentence alone she's already showing that she puts herself over Beth "..MY perfect thing." She's talking about her baby like it's some trophy to be won. I think that that's what's really despicable. Shelby is putting Beth over everything. Quinn is using Beth to put herself over everything.

November 18 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina143

See, I don't think Finn really DID out her. Yes, they were in the hallway, but no one was standing around listening and gawking. Time didn't stand still for anyone OTHER than Santana. And sorry, I think most people in the school already know, which is why I HATED her slapping Finn. Look at all the nastiness she has done, and she gets a stern talking too and suddenly she's the victim? Don't buy it. Yes, he smacked her down in a public forum, but it wasn't as if anyone else in that forum cared..or at least we didnt' see them caring.

And I still think Mercedes is being a brat.

November 16 2011 at 9:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Xina143's comment
codemanz4

"The slap heard round the world." Really, Chrystal? That's SOOOOO original. And accurate, if the world only consisted of the

November 16 2011 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to codemanz4's comment
Crystal Bell

Recaps are supposed to be fun! Especially Glee-caps :)

November 16 2011 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Do you guys just make no effort to hide spoilers anymore? I've had shows spoiled for me more times on this site this past month alone than other sites combined. I'm done with this. I miss tvsquad.

November 16 2011 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Richard's comment
Deej Barens

Once the show airs it ceases to be a spoiler. If sites like this had to wait until every single person on earth has seen the episode they would have blank pages. Didn't watch the show last night? Not their problem.

November 16 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobWasThere

Guess I know who's reviews I won't be reading anymore.

November 16 2011 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BobWasThere's comment
BobWasThere

Why is there no edit button?

November 16 2011 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

"it's pretty clear that Shelby is a little monster"

???????????

November 16 2011 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BC's comment
couponsnfreebies

BC, Crystal was probably referring to the fact that Lady Gaga calls her fans her "little monsters." The You and I song that Shelby was singing about Nebraska, etc. was a Lady Gaga song.

November 16 2011 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to couponsnfreebies's comment
Crystal Bell

Ah, yes! Exactly! Was referring to Lady Gaga :)

November 16 2011 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down