July 23, 2014

'The X Factor' Recap: Top 9 Revealed - Who Was Eliminated? (VIDEO)

by Laura Prudom, posted Nov 17th 2011 9:10PM
X Factor JudgesAmerica and 'The X Factor' completely defied my expectations on Thursday night. When Steve Jones announced that the first two acts safe this week were the aggressively mediocre Lakoda Rayne and LeRoy Bell, it became apparent that there would be no predicting this week's results.

Still, with so many fan-favorite acts apparently in danger of elimination, the episode provided far more tension than I was anticipating this early in the game, when it seemed that all of the groups would be wiped out before the solo artists would have their turn on the chopping block.

The third act to be eliminated by America and the judges was:

Stacy Francis.

Simon Cowell said it best on Wednesday night: Stacy has been backsliding since the audition rounds, and after last week's lackluster Whitney and this week's painful Meat Loaf, there was no way she could measure up against Astro's confident, polished performances. Her "save me" song, 'Amazing Grace,' started out nasal and wobbly, suffering from too many of the extraneous runs she's always been guilty of tossing into her renditions. Her upper register was undeniably stronger, and the song evened out as she hit the middle, but I still wouldn't describe it as an enjoyable performance to listen to.

Astro took things in a strange direction when he returned to the stage, announcing that he didn't think he should perform because he deemed it unnecessary at this point of the competition, but he deigned to grace us with his lyrics after psyching the audience up and making them cheer to convince him. The kid is certainly an entertainer, but for those who think he has an attitude problem, the showboating was unlikely to do him any favors with voters. With his own lyrics to 'Never Can Say Goodbye,' he praised L.A. Reid as being "like an older brother" to him and called Paula "a lady" instead of "crazy," which was amusing, but his stage presence was sorely lacking, and he already seemed defeated and disinterested.

Picking up on that vibe, L.A. chided Astro for coming out and acting like a quitter after all of his spectacular performances to date, telling his contestant that he was disappointed in his attitude. He ultimately voted to save him though, since he's still "his guy."

Similarly, Nicole stood by her girl, choosing to eliminate Astro over Stacy.

"It's not how you start, but it's how you finish -- be grateful you're on that stage," Paula told the two contestants -- both of whom have struggled with their egos this week -- but she eventually chose to send home Stacy.

Simon was even more unimpressed with Astro than L.A. was, telling him to uncross his arms and look Simon in the eye as he talked to the sullen 15-year-old. "You're showing disrespect to your mum, you're showing disrespect to the audience at home," he remarked.

Astro defended his attitude by telling Simon, "If you're gonna put me in the bottom two, I don't want to perform for people who don't want me here."

"Part of doing this is being a grown-up, you know what the rules are," Simon shot back, though he seemed to be torn over his decision on who to send home, even when Astro silently started crying. Still, Simon chose to save the performer whom he believed had the best chance of becoming a successful recording artist, and that was Astro, sealing Stacy's fate.

"I want to take a serious moment to thank the judges," Stacy said before her exit. "I wasn't always happy with the song choices, but I have to suck up my pride and take responsibility for my performance." She thanked the mentors for taking a chance on her, especially Simon, for giving a 42-year-old woman the chance to sing to the world.

'The X Factor' airs next Tuesday and Wednesday at 8PM ET on Fox.

Do you think Astro will wind up right back in the bottom two after his behavior this week? Was Stacy the right act to go home? Share your thoughts below.

Follow Laura on Twitter: @LauinLA

sharonlee224

ASTRO NEEDS TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!HE HAS A POOR ATTITUDE HE SEEMS TO THINK HE IS ABOVE EVERYONE AND IN ALL ACTUALITY, HE HAS NO TALENT AND A PISS POOR ATTITUDE. COULD YOU AMAGINE HOW HE WOULD BE WITH THE MILLION DOLLARS AND A CONTRACT!!!

November 21 2011 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole Lacount

I LOVE ASTRO! Does anyone realize how much work it takes to do what he is doing ever week? He is writing his own lyrics, something that no other contestant has to do, not to mention has a more difficult performance. His bad attitude is clearly from his upbringing that was rough, but that is what is giving him the dedication and work ethic he has. He is my NUMBER 1 PICK and I think people just forgot to vote for him or assumed he was safe, like I did! He obviously reacted poorly, but he is just now getting advice from Simon and LA that he probably has never heard before. As soon as Simon told him to unfold his arms- he did! He's just learning. If anything, this is the first time we've seen him act his age and this is the first time we've seen humility from him. That's a positive for me! The kid was crying- he's just a kid. Also, he'll clearly apologize or work an apology into his lyrics next week. Give Astro a break!

November 19 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevincolquitt

I think Astro needs to know anger will get him know where in life. The only reason he got away with it this time was because of is age and talent. I think he is more talented then Stacey but the BAD attitude makes me think he should of went home. Do you know how many kids his age would like to be up on that stage preforming. I think he might get sent home next week because of is bad attitude and lack of respect for the process. Many young preformers before have went through more and have acted was more respectful. Astro Grow up or go home!!

November 18 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikgeoler

I am absolutely shocked to see Astro be put thru as talent because Talent requires more than just your act, it also
requires accountability. Astro has absolutely no respect and the biggest no HUMILITY. His actions were that of a
spoiled child, when not getting his own way, and you JUDGES, bought into it. He has no respect whatsoever, for the awesome gift of just being on the show. Astro should have been sent home until he grows up.
Because he was allowed to go on, he will carry his attitude on instead of learning. Very Sad. What a touch of class from Stacy, who accepted what the judges said and had the awesome respect to say thank you. She should have not been voted off. She may not be the a winner, but she has a winning attitude. Extremely disappointed in L.A. for sticking to {his Guy}, because as a mentor, he is not doing {his Guy} any favors. A mentor should be a teacher to improve some one. There is more to a talent, there is also CHARACTOR, which is certainly lacking in Astro. Extremely disappointed that Simon would buy into the disrespect shown by Astro.
Is this a real show of talent or just a joke.

November 18 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baroness

My bottom two were Stacy and Astro. Astro raps but cant carry a tune ... I always thought he had a bad attitude, but no idea how bad. I think he'll get the boot this week ... he really isn't that great.

November 18 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bergdavid

as great as L.A. is, his sticking with "his guy" is a big joke if they are really trying to get the best artist at the end. No amount of respect, no sincerity, no committment, and he gets a tiny slap on the hand, and Stacey Francis goes home. At least she knows humility and sincerity and effort. If Nicole could only pick good songs for her artists, this would not have happened. Seems to me that this is partly a one ups contest between the judges, and we as the viewers are all party to it. shame on all of them.

November 18 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
isellkauai

Astro should have gone home along with Stacy. He was rewarded for bad behavior and set a bad example.
If he is in the bottom two next time, I hope the judges will vote this spoiled little boy off!

November 18 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dauphina4

I don't like the bottom 2 rules. I think it was put in to rival American Idol. Perhaps it was put in to keep an obviously better act from being sent home in place of and obviously poor act. It has backfired and turned into the appearance of the producers and judges steering the outcome of the weekly voting. Why have the public vote if it doesn't really matter. I am becoming dissatisfied with the show after having expectations of a superior show compared with A Idol.
I think I am getting tired of both.....As for the Judges....L A Reed, he comes off as a grown up Astro. Simon is Simon and I agree with his opinions most of the time. Nicole, very emotional and sincere. Paula, wears her heart on her sleeve, you may not like her but she gives 100% of herself to what ever she attempts.

November 18 2011 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dauphina4

Staci probably should have gone. Astro on the other hand should have gone with her. He has streched the rules from the beginning when he refused to dance with the rest of the contestants. His attitude hopefully will derail his future and help land him regular employment. I believe the producers want him to stay other wise he would have gone last night. He was coached to appologize by the MC otherwize Simon would have been forced to send him home. Better he learn the lesson now than wait till his sorry ass has grown up when he will have to answer for his lousy attitued. Hope he goes next week.

November 18 2011 at 12:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kissablecasey

SEND THE PUNK HOME !!!!!!! SAME CRAP EVERY WEEK ...WHO IS LA REED TO TALK ABOUT ANYONE

November 18 2011 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply