November 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Regis Philbin Leaves 'Live' With Emotional Farewell Speech (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Nov 18th 2011 11:35AM
After 28 years, a record-setting amount of hours logged in front of the camera, and a joyous Farewell Tour that lasted for weeks, Friday was finally Regis Philbin's last day hosting 'Live' (weekdays, syndicated on ABC). In an emotional, celebratory hour of live TV, Kelly Ripa and a few special guests sent the beloved 80-year-old TV legend off in style.

After Regis walked Kelly the 43 steps from her dressing room to the stage for the last time time, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg came by to present Regis with a key to the city.

Ripa delivered an emotional farewell speech to her co-host of ten years, thanking him and wishing him well in his life's next chapter. "Your light is what shined around all of us, and made us look so bright ... I look forward to the next 43 steps, and may they fill you with the joy that you filled all of us with for all of these years," she said, tearing up.

Regis handled his sign-off with the grace and class of one of television's most seasoned pro's. "I'll always remember spending these mornings with all of you, so thank you very much for these great years together, god bless you all, and I hope I see you again real soon. Thanks everybody!"

bubba1zfg

A class act and an end of era that we likely will never see again.

November 19 2011 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan-Na

About flippn' time...heck no..will not miss him at all.

November 19 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Winnie

Regis started out as a second bananna to just about everyone. His talent is talking. Looks good at 80? With plastic surgery and makup, anyone could. His skin is drawn tight and if you look close it looks pasty from the makeup.

November 19 2011 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claud

Finally!...........

November 19 2011 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wsa999

Good by, Mr. Liberal. Won't miss you.

November 19 2011 at 6:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
atutera

I can remember years ago when Regis was on the Joey Bishop show. He was treated poorly and made to look like a fool. I'm so happy that Regis went on to such success. He certainly deserves it.

November 19 2011 at 5:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to atutera's comment
Burt

Did you ever stop to think , maybe they didn't make him look like a fool. Just maybe he came by it naturally.

November 19 2011 at 10:55 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Burt's comment
dmfischetti

All these mean spirited, comments made by those who do not even know this man only show that none of you know what real class is. sad really.

November 20 2011 at 11:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
Anticoinc,TDN#1C

Thanks for being apart of our morning Regis. Kelly will need a co-host, but you can never be replaced! After taking a needed rest, (28 years is a long time), I hope you will consider being back on t.v. again even if it is only part time. Here we go again, I went through a t.v. withdrawl when Oprah stop her show and now I am going to go through it again since you retired. I wish you Joy and your girls all good things, god bless!

November 19 2011 at 3:15 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
cmwoj1014

Bye Regis!!! I'm going to miss watching him in the morning, he cheered me up when I was depressed or upset! I don't think the show's going to be good anymore with Kelly, she's become so fake, I can barely watch her. Love you Regis, GOOD LUCK!!

November 19 2011 at 2:42 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Ron

Well Done! Regis has been on TV longer than I've been watching it.

November 19 2011 at 2:34 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ron's comment
dmfischetti

Longer tahn most have been watching it. Thanks for the light hearted fun & laughs Regis. We all needed it. God Bless.

November 20 2011 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fammie's

So help me if I have to go over there!!! That is the last straw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 19 2011 at 12:43 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply