April 17, 2014

Astro Apologizes for Controversial 'X Factor' Attitude

by Laura Prudom, posted Nov 21st 2011 9:40AM
Astro - The X FactorPrecocious teen rapper Brian "Astro" Bradley has been making waves in the 'X Factor' pond ever since he first appeared on our screens, partly because audiences seemed dubious that a hip-hop artist could be judged alongside traditional singers, and partly because of his brusque attitude on stage.

Last week, Astro hit headlines for almost refusing to sing a "save me" song when he was placed in the bottom two, insisting, "I don't want to perform for people who don't want me here." Simon Cowell was not amused by the sulking, chiding the 15-year-old for disrespecting his mother and the audience with his behavior. (Later, both Cowell and Paula Abdul pointed out that the experience had probably taught the teen a valuable lesson.)

Now, Astro has chosen to address the embarrassing on-stage incident himself, admitting, "I'm 15 and I think I know everything, but the truth is, I don't, and I handled the situation wrong!"

Astro took to his Facebook page to apologize to fans, likening himself to Muhammad Ali when the boxer drew America's ire for evading the draft.

"What I do, I do for the love of Hip-Hop and my fans, and I would never doing anything to hurt either. But please try to understand where my head was last night. Muhammed [sic] Ali was hated by America when he didn't enter the draft. What people didn't know was that he would have entered if the recruiter would have addressed him by his new name. I believed I was being mistreated, and in the moment I thought about Ali's moment," he wrote.

"I want to be the new ambassador for Hip-Hop and a leader of a new young movement of positive kids, but to be that I must have Integrity and Honor first! People are saying I'm "cocky" and "arrogant", well maybe I have watched too many Muhammed Ali films or maybe I grew up having to fight my way home everyday or battle on street corners of Brooklyn for respect. My guards are always up, and maybe I took the situation too heavy. I seriously apologize to my fans, what I said and my emotions weren't directed toward you."

The update came on the heels of some cryptic tweets from the rapper's official Twitter feed, which perhaps lifted the curtain a little higher than Cowell or the 'X Factor' producers might like.

"Politics!! don't be fooled by what you don't know! Thank you AstroNauts for holding me down!" he wrote immediately after the elimination show, following up with, "Its funny how people are quick to judge not knowing whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe I should have given my Disney smile instead!"

Later, Astro clarified, "I feel yall on [how I reacted] but I wasn't talking about viewers when I said I don't wanna perform. If you only knew what I know you'd say otherwise."

There has been some speculation that, similar to Cowell's "mistake" with Melanie Amaro earlier in the season, Astro might have been placed in the bottom two by the producers to stir up drama, or that his defeated act during his "save me" song was just that, an act. We're unlikely to know the truth before the season comes to an end, but the backstage politics behind these talent shows undoubtedly raise their own set of intriguing questions.

Do you think Astro's behavior was all his own on elimination night, or did the producers have something to do with the outcome of the show? Do you think Astro deserves to go home next week?

juliusowusupaddy

The guy has to add more to his music. The rap alone doesn't cut it for me. I love rap and for a 14 year old, he is quite goo. But attitude was aweful, he should pray that the high school kids vote for him.

November 24 2011 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DIANE

my thoughts on this is this kid has a smart mouth from day one, simon rewarded him by thinking he was cute, and they all rewarded him by letting him threw, each time they have ask him to do something he refuses, and does what he wants,then that one black judge (sry can't think of his name) says well you would be like him if you knew about his abuseive background," ohh please tell that story to a socal worker", this is a talent show on your singing, and how you come across to all in talking and so on, not a smart ass, brat that thinks everyone owes him something in life cause of his up bringing," the RAP-CRAP is out, or whatever you call it,him and the other clown that singing this noise needs to go. i'm surprise they made it this far,.

November 23 2011 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LYNRENWAG66

X Factor is on tonight. As, I send in my last comment, I won't be turning in, but might after Astro gets the boot!!!

November 22 2011 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the master

the master is back to keep all you jig a boos in line with a good whippin like your mammie used to give you because their is no father, but I guess beating and cursing at you until your an adult doesn't work the jails are still dominated by the biggest mionority in the usa must be the racists cops hahahahaha

November 22 2011 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nifepartie

Besides Chris Renee this little piece of crap is my most hated contestant. He has absolutely no place in a singing competition. I think he should be forced to actually "sing" just like the rest of the contestants, then everyone will see him for who he is. Just a naive, ignorant little ghetto bastard. The horrible thing is that so many people have such terrible taste that he likely will not be among the bottom two again for the rest of the show.

November 22 2011 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jpgordo

Astro is the least of X Factor's problems.  The real problem is that it's a terrible show - a really bad, over-produced mess...

November 22 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dialm4mry

I find it amazing that after "sing for your life" that they didn't send this kid packing. I mean really what is the point of it then. If you are going to hedge your bet, and as Simon said "based on who I think can go the farthest in this competition" ??? What ? No,no,no..you are supposed to base it on right here, right now. You asked these two to perform to stay alive and this kid thumbed his nose at you. Stacey,yes, had a couple bumpy notes, but this girl has got a VOICE, plus she is a 42 year old single mother...come on give her the chance. The kid has all kinds of time on his hands. I thought her elimination was absolutely shameful. Talk about bending the rules to suit yourself. It looks like it has become more about the judges..an "I told you so" contest than about the contestants. They proved it by keeping this little brat in the loop. Terrible.

November 22 2011 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jzohappy

I hope they send his cocky,black bottom home to his mammie. no room for his ghetto behavior

November 21 2011 at 11:08 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to jzohappy's comment
greengrocer75

Get Astro out. For him to associate himself in 2011 to Ali in the 60's is irreverent to Ali, the black community, the X-Factor judges and everyone who watched. Age has nothing to do with this type of attitude. Disrespect is disrespect.

November 21 2011 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to greengrocer75's comment
mandy

What's funny is the fact that you don't even know what your talking about. How is it irrelevant that he compared hisself to Muhummad ali??? Same S*** just a different day. Last Thursday Americas #1 hated person was Astro. Don't get me wrong he handled it the wrong way but at the same time he didn't belong in the bottom two. Age doesn't matter??? I find that hard to believe when you have a serious talent( I mean you know it and is passionate about what you do) that actually exceeds some of the rappers that's already in the game, he's 15 he was hurt. Even in the beginning of the show Simon metioned his and josh performances was the stand out performaces the night before so i believe he had every reason to be mad. At the end of the day we still live and breathe in WHITE AMERICA so that right their says it all. Perfect example I love Chris Renee but he's nowhere on Astro's level lyrically, If he would of had that outburst they wouldn't haven't even blew it up that bad. Not only that ya'll would be on here like he's so talented, he did drugs, and for those reason he didn't belong in the final two. Now here we have astro a super talented kid from Brooklyn who gets put in the final two for nothing but Excellence performaces and cause he acted the way he did he's ghetto, ungratefull, and just has a bad attitude and needs to go home. I don't know if you are aware of what your doing right now cause your an serious Hater. It's people like you that make people second guess their talents and everything they could possibly do in life. Everyday people pick on people and make them feel beneath themselves because they're miserable. I'm proud of Astro and his ego, he knows what he wants to do. If no one else going to support you who do your have??? America is so judgemental for no reason. Let someone do you petty on something you know you did extraordinary on then tell me how you'll fell!!!

November 22 2011 at 8:34 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mandy's comment
DARLENE

shut up Mandy!

November 23 2011 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
rebeccad55

if he does get sent home & that is a big IF, then LA will just sign him & feed his ego even more...After everything I have seen with this KID, I don't think I'll be watching X-Factor again...I will root for the actual singers, who ARE singers, like LeRoy, Josh & Melanie - Rachael is good, but she's so "over-the-top" & really would be better on broadway...All Astro does is the same thing over & over again...and he's SO FULL OF HIMSELF....Time go to home!!

November 21 2011 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply