September 30, 2014

'Doctor Who' Star Matt Smith Strips, Plus a Sneak Peek at the Christmas Special (VIDEO)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 21st 2011 11:00AM
'Doctor Who' Christmas special'Doctor Who' star Matt Smith performed a striptease on TV Friday night, but it was all for a good cause. As part of the BBC's annual 'Children in Need' telethon Smith stripped off a signature 'Doctor Who' outfit before putting it up for auction together with a signed script.

Talking on this morning's 'BBC Breakfast' Smith said he hopes the items will fetch as much as possible, and he reiterated his belief that "bow ties are cool." He also talked about the "massive challenge" of taking on a role that's been part of the British cultural landscape for 50 years. Smith joked that at a recent party he was starstruck to meet two of his predecessors in the role, David Tennant and his father-in-law Peter Davison, thinking "Wow, it's Doctor Who!" before realizing "I'm Doctor Who!"

'Children in Need' also showcased a sneak peek at that staple of the festive season, the 'Doctor Who' Christmas special. Catch it and Smith's striptease after the jump.

The suit that Smith is auctioning off is the one he wore in a Season 6 episode written by Neil Gaiman, 'The Doctor's Wife.' The outfit comprises: Tweed jacket, shirt, black jeans, black boots, braces, bow-tie and watch. Cash-rich Wannabe Time Lords can bid on the items here. (The current bid stands at $82,500.)

Titled 'The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe,' this year's Christmas special co-stars Claire Skinner as widow Madge Arwell. Madge and her children Lily and Cyril Madge are evacuated from war-torn London to a house in the countryside and are greeted by a "madcap" janitor whose mysterious Christmas gift leads them into "a magical wintry world."

Follow Catherine on Twitter: @TVClaw.

skimsoco76

I don't much like this guy, David Tennant was better.

November 22 2011 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SgtJoeFriday

I thought it would be either Freema Agymen or Billie Piper doing the striptease.

November 21 2011 at 10:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kat

I had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvestor McCoy. Lovely gentlemen to hang out with. They need to bring Doctor Who conventions back to Philadelphia! I have been a fan of both the classic series and the new version. Happy Holidays fellow Whovians!!!!!

November 21 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
locnar69

Love dr.who just not like that

November 21 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
riskanalytics

Silly Twits...
Matt Smith is SUPERB...Manic...Rubbery faced...EMOTIVE and possibly in a new way...the most dangerous
dr yet
This DR has the air of someone close to the edge....Afterall....all he is is a madman(sadman?) in a box.....

November 21 2011 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mouse

Who is great. You always know what will happen but they change the how it will happen, wish they would put it on regular TV here.

November 21 2011 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mouse's comment
Steve Davis

Check your local PBS listings.

November 21 2011 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joesph

When i read the headine on AOL I was kinda hopingthey were talkng about Karen Gillan

November 21 2011 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joesph's comment
musikhut

That would be a Christmas special!

November 21 2011 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phoebechan192

I hope this rumored movie I heard about has David Tennate as the Doctor and NOT Matt Smith. Matt Smith isn't a very good Doctor. He's missing something. Back when David Tennate was the Doctor all he had to do was look at the camera and you would want to cry. It's going down hill with Matt Smith. A lot of people I've talked to say they wouldn't even watch it if it wasn't for Amy Pond.

November 21 2011 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia Baker

I love Doctor Who! I am ok with the new doctor although it was weird at first. My husband doesn't like him at all though. They do seem to have alot more effects this time around and they are decent effects which almost seems wrong cause doctor who is suppose to be cheesy. I loved the flat mate episode and the follow up episode with Stormageddon. I am expecting another boy in a couple months and I am totally going to nick name him Stormageddon.

November 21 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hrldturner

I have Tom Bakers autograph on a napkin. A real teasure!

November 21 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply