October 31, 2014

Bravo Turning 'Watch What Happens Live' Into Nightly Late-Night Show

by Alex Moaba, posted Nov 21st 2011 7:10PM
Just when it seemed like Andy Cohen's Bravo empire couldn't possibly get any bigger, it's grown once again. The New York Times is reporting that Bravo's Cohen-hosted late-night show 'Watch What Happens Live' will soon be expanded into a five-night-per-week offering, airing new episodes from Sunday through Thursday nights.

Cohen, who had been Bravo's Executive Vice President of Programming, is widely credited as the godfather the network's ridiculously popular 'Real Housewives' franchise. Over the past two years he's moved increasingly in front of the camera, hosting the 'Housewives' reunion specials and carving out a boozy, gossipy niche for 'What What Happens,' the rare late night show where guests are served alcohol. The Times reports that in his new role, Cohen will lose his VP title, but remain involved in Bravo programming decisions.

Besides his Bravo hosting gigs, Cohen has been a frequent guest host on NBC's 'Today,' usually filling in during the broadcast's fourth hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda. In October, the Hollywood Reporter reported that ABC was eying Cohen as a possible 'Live' replacement for Regis Philbin. With 'Watch What Happens Live' turning into a nightly gig, Cohen likely won't be leaving Bravo anytime soon.

adamwei1

Hey Ann when your reality CRAP get's better ratings then an original intelligent one hour drama drama or a rare good sitcom, then there is a big problem. Advertisers will not allow good programming (ie non reality tv) to survive much longer if the idiot Kardashians and Andy Cohen become more popular then scripted (even though reality is practically scripted too), television. That's what pisses me off! Why don't you just admit you have partially bad taste in television programming and leave it at that! Bravo is a shell of the network that it once was just like E! and that other turd VH1! Oh, and to the asswipe who made this comment, Uh, then don't watch it. Maybe you should put your sorry little alternative live music program on BRAVO! Fearless music is/was a great show that promoted alot of actual great musical talent! Bravo and its stupid annoying echo voice promos would not have the balls to pick up a show like that! The only good thing on the network, if its still on, is Inside the Actors Studio! The defenition of sorry is someone who calls themself an adult and only listens to Top 40 music on the radio especially when the internet and satellite provide so many options these days! You have no right to make fun of anyone who listens to alternative music mirinc10!

December 28 2011 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Hey, adamwei1.....everyone doen't like the exact same type television programming...that is why there are so many channels to chose from!! I love reality TV but I also love many of the network drama programs and most of the educational programs offerred.....such as on HGTV....TLC.....the History Channel....etc. It is like food....some days I like Mexican fare....another day I might want Chinese...maybe a good ole American hamburger or fried chicken. DIVERSITY!! Chill out, for goodness sake. No one is going to force you to watch Andy Cohen or any of the Housewives franchise programming. Hey,and no one is going to force me to watch MTV or Fearless Music!! But I defend your right to watch it as much as you want and I will never complain. To each their own....

November 27 2011 at 6:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cshell9791

I'll admit, Andy is kind of growing on me. At first, I really didn't care too much for him. He seemed kind of all over the place, scatter brained. I felt like I was watching the Tony Danza show all over again,( I really like Tony, but as the host of his own show, not so good) but as I watch more of these after shows, I find him to be genuinely funny. I don't watch all of the housewife shows, in fact I only watch one, but I love his guests, love the questions he asks, the banter, fans calling in and of course the secret word, in which you're supposed to drink up when said. I have not actually played along with that, other than just lifting my hand up in a drinking gesture every time the "secret word" is said. My only hope is that now he's going to be on five nights a week, the show doesn't take a turn for the worse as in being too over the top like Ne Ne Leaks has become. My guilty pleasure is the Housewives of Beverly Hills. Sure they all seem crazy and self serving, but compared to the other Housewives, they seem tame.

November 27 2011 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brennemanbelkin

"widely credited as the godfather the network's ridiculously popular 'Real Housewives' franchise. "

Oy. What a resume builder.

November 27 2011 at 1:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cazelwilson96

It's all good. Andy and Mark Consuelos are very good friends, and you already know Mark's wife, Kelly. Combine with SJP fame and many others, ..... It's all good.

November 27 2011 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xcalboy

Another reason not to watch Bravo

November 27 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
markhelfgott

Bravo!

November 27 2011 at 1:01 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
adamwei1

Great another ******* who is helping to destroy television get's even more power and face time! Thanks all you idiots who have no idea what good tv is anymore! Also may Sarah Jessica Parker (pictured above) rot if she continues to do crap television like this! It's been all down hill except for that Smart People movie for her after Sex and the City. God I hope that get the Kardashians cancellation petition puts fuel on the backlash fire!. Reality tV sucks!!!! This pariah get's to be on five nights a week but we can't keep the alternative live music program Fearless Music on latenight Saturday night on Fox affialiates! Which costs alot less to produce, cmon!

November 27 2011 at 12:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to adamwei1's comment
mlrinc10

November 27 2011 at 3:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

SWEET! Andy Cohen is freaking hilarious... anyone who doesn't agree doesn't watch his show, or is homophobic. His delivery and directness is what makes him true comedic genius. He has a way of being a voice for viewers that watch these shows and just wish they could be there themselves to grill these housewives on the ridiculous things they do or how they act , (hence why we watch) the money they have, .... or don't have.

Rock on Andy, can't wait to watch!

November 27 2011 at 12:45 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Other than Top Chef and anything involving Kathy Griffin, the network is unwatchable.

Do people really ENJOY watching these "housewives"? I simply do not understand....

November 26 2011 at 11:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply