April 19, 2014

'One Life to Live,' 'All My Children' Not Moving Online

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 23rd 2011 3:10PM
One Life to Live, All My Children Not Moving OnlineProspect Park has suspended its plan to move 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' online. Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park made the announcement following several months of planning.

"After five months of negotiations with various guilds, hundreds of presentations to potential financial and technology partners, and a hope that we could pioneer a new network for the future, it is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children' via online distribution," the duo said in a statement. "It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get 'OLTL' on the air in a reasonable time period following its January 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible."

ABC canceled the soaps in April.
Soon after the cancellations, Prospect Park announced a new licensing agreement to bring both beloved shows back to life via The Online Network. The company signed several actors, including 'One Life to Live' heavy-hitter Erika Slezak, and behind the scenes people like 'OLTL' executive producer Frank Valentini.

"We believed the timing was right to launch an Online TV Network anchored by these two iconic soap operas, but we always knew it would be an uphill battle to create something historical, and unfortunately we couldn't ultimately secure the backing and clear all the hurdles in time," they said. "We believe we exhausted all reasonable options apparent to us, but despite enormous personal, as well as financial cost to ourselves, we failed to find a solution."

Prospect Park said the economic challenges proved too difficult.

"In the end, the constraints of the current marketplace, including the evolution and impact of new media on our industry simply proved too great a match for even our passion," the said. "In our opinion, new models like this can only work with the cooperation of many people striving to make them happen, and we would like to thank and praise the numerous people who tried to help and showed us incredible support. We are extremely grateful to the fans and media who showed great support to us through this process, to ABC who did everything in their control to help, and we are especially grateful for the support and encouragement from many of the soaps' cast and crew themselves."

The announcement comes after months of speculation by both fans and the players involved. Susan Lucci recently released a statement saying she'd like to move online with 'All My Children' but dialogue with Prospect Park had ceased.

"Of special note, we would like to thank Frank Valentini (Executive Producer), Ron Carlivati (Head Writer of OLTL), Agnes Nixon, many of the cast of 'OLTL' including Michael Easton, Ted King, Kelley Missal, Melissa Archer, and of course Erika Slezak all of whom signed on quickly and did all they could to help, as well as our own Christine Sacani," Kwatinetz and Frank said. "Cameron Mathison and Lindsay Hartley also get our sincerest thanks for their support."

"We feel terrible we couldn't come through for them and we were very much looking forward to working together."

Watch the final scene from 'All My Children' below.

Tell us: Will you miss 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live'?

Sharrell Knight

YOU CAN JUST BRING ONE LIFE TO LIVE BACK THAT WILL BE PERFECT

March 14 2012 at 5:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

i think they can put one life to live and all my children on another network.

January 15 2012 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

couldnt they continue all my children and one life to live on soap net.who needs health and cooking shows.i rather watch soaps.i love one life to live.cant you bring it back.put it on soap net.

January 15 2012 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rita Oreardon

I have watched One Life to Live for 30+ years. I am extremely disappointed and irritated that it has been cancelled. I am so sick and tired of "Reality Shows", "Talk Shows", "Health Shows", "News-Related Shows" and all the other garbage that passes for tv today. It's nice to be able to get away from reality and watch something that takes you away from the problems of your own life. I don't know where the idea came from that people were tired of regular shows like soaps and other dramas, etc,. and wanted more of the same "heavy", "depressing", "boring" shows that have taken their place. Maybe you should get your info from real people.

January 06 2012 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene

I THINK THAT TAKING OFF ALL MY CHILDREN NOW ONE LIFE TO LIVE IS A ROTTEN THING TO DO . I HAVE WATCHED THESE PROGRAMS FOR OVER 25 YEARS OR MORE. THE PROGRAMS THAT THEY ARE PUTTING ON STINKS REALLY BAD. TV PROGRAMING IS GETTING WORSE ALL THE TIME. THEY KEEP TAKING OFF THE GOOD PROGRAMS AND PUTTING ON GARBARAGE.

January 05 2012 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patt

I am heart broken! Truly. Next comes General Hospital........

December 30 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George White

You gotta be kidding! Their studies have got it completly wrong. The shows are goldmines and they are throwing them away. They might as well raise the Blue Screen of Death during those time slots. It's really hard to believe they can be that stupid.

December 29 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

I have watched OLTL faithfully for over 17 years, missing very few episodes. I am mad & sad about losing it. I am VERY GLAD however, that ABC doesn't have football, because I won't even watch the news there after Jan. 13th. We can show them with ratings if we stick together -- may not change a thing for our soap but thier billfolds will notice. When ratings drop, advertisers stop. I'M DONE WITH THEM!!!!

December 22 2011 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ppez10

No I won't miss al my children. However, I will miss one life to live.

December 17 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pedsnurse93

Thanks for Nothing you took one hour of enjoyment I had before bed and threw it away. I had watch ANC since day one and I am fuming over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 12 2011 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply