October 21, 2014

Could J.R. Martinez Save 'All My Children?' Creator Agnes Nixon Speaks Out

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 24th 2011 7:35AM
There's been an outcry since the news broke yesterday that Prospect Park has suspended its plan to move cancelled soaps 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' online. Many of the actors involved have taken to Twitter and Facebook to vent, and the unions involved have issued statements saying don't blame us for the failure.

Now the soaps' creator, Agnes Nixon has spoken out, saying there's still plenty more life in the old shows yet. According to 'The Daily Beast' she's even come up with "a compelling plot" starring brand new 'DWTS' champ J.R. Martinez. He played police officer Brot Monroe on the soap for three years until it was cancelled back in April.

Nixon says she doesn't blame Prospect Park founders, Jeff Kwatinetz and Rich Frank, for calling it quits: "I am sorry they had to give up the intent to put it on and I'm very grateful to Rich and Jeff for their efforts, but I know that no matter what happens, there is still much story to be told in both 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children,' and in my heart, I believe, it may still be told. And I'd love to be part of the telling."

Yesterday Prospect Park said that the online move failed because of insuperable economic challenges, and there have long been rumors that the various guilds and unions reperesenting cast and crew were unyielding in their demands for broadcast-rate salaries. However, two of the largest unions involved, Writer's Guild of America (WGA) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) moved quickly to distance themselves from suggestions that they are to blame for the deal collapsing.

WGA told Soap Opera Network, "We were disappointed to learn that Prospect Park's financing fell through. Prior to the end of last week, we were close to a fair deal for the writers."

In a statement, AFTRA said it was "deeply disappointed to read that the executives at Prospect Park have decided to suspend their efforts to produce ... 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children,' via online distribution."

The statement continues, "Despite initial progress in our negotiations ... we were perplexed and disappointed that for the past month Prospect Park has not responded to our repeated inquiries to resume those discussions. We now conclude from the press reports that Prospect Park faced other challenges unrelated to our negotiations, which prevented continuation of those discussions."

There's been no word yet from Susan Lucci, but her former 'AMC' co-star Vincent Irizarry wrote on Facebook, "It's hard to ignore the profound irony in the last words spoken on AMC, after 41 1/2 yrs of entertaining countless millions, delivered by 'Erica,' who said, 'This is not the ending I wanted...' My heartfelt sympathies go out to all, especially the incomparable, loyal fans, after all their years of support, to have to live through this 2nd death. This news will never diminish our gratitude to you all..."

Kristen Alderson, who played Starr Manning on 'OLTL,' tweeted "Extremely sad sad news... No #prospectpark deal for AMC or OLTL. So many lives affected by this #RIPOLTL."

Follow Catherine on Twitter: @TVClaw.

pliskasilver

It is too bad it had to end , I have watched "All My Children " since it started.!!!

November 15 2012 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

ABC could careless what the viewers want to see, even the nighttime line up is becoming a joke. Yup I have direct T.V better things on to watch, they could drop ABC and no one would shed a damn tear.

June 23 2012 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

ABC afternoon T.V. is an absolute joke since the cancelled AMC and OLTL. I mean The Chew and the Revolution "REALLY". NOw thats some really boring T.V. and now they think that bringing GMA to the afternoons is going to be an improvement I mean come on! I refuse to even give ABC a minute of my time anymore since they cancelled AMC I would rather watch my local news then watch their feeble attempts at afternoon programming.

June 23 2012 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heather a

i think Agnes needs to write a book for each soap the give them a final ending!

April 19 2012 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ssehret

I have watched All My Children and One Life To Live since i was 14 yrs. old I am now 54, It kept you going day to day about a story. I much rather watch these shows than another cooking show and what ever is replacing oltl. This man made a big mistake taking these shows off the air. So now I see some of the actors or now going to other soaps. So I guess I will be watching another station.

January 06 2012 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ebony King

i am extremely upset over this - i have watched AMC since i was 5yo - i am now 33 with children of my own> AMC HAS so much sentimental value for me b/c i used to watch this program with my late granny and then with my youngest daughter (7) who knows all of the characters (she loves Zach & Kendall) BRING AMC BACK FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!!

December 12 2011 at 8:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pedsnurse93

I Agree I wi;ll never watch CHew it took my favorite sopa please I had watch for all those years since it came on and I am really upset tooo Thanks abc for nothing

December 12 2011 at 1:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sdenibeasley

Sad when you have to boycott a whole television station and any its associated with especially when occasionally there might be something on it you want to see. Why should we not turn our backs on them ? When they turned their backs on loyal viewers for 40+ years. I hope those shows like Mary said flop that takes the shows place that were loved so much.

December 05 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I agree, Celtic. When ABC decided to turn their backs on all the loyal viewers and cancel these two beloved 40+ year shows, they lost every one of those viewers. The Chew is the running joke on the internet from what I have read, and The Revolution won't be any better. Personally, I have over 100 other channels that I plan to give my attention to. Good luck ABC. You're going to need it..

November 30 2011 at 10:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Celtic

Someday, as all good soap story lines know, this decision will come back to bite ABC.

November 27 2011 at 7:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply