April 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Dexter' Twist: Professor Gellar's as Cold as Ice (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Nov 28th 2011 7:10PM
There was a major twist on the most recent episode of 'Dexter,' so major that Showtime declined to put the episode in its online press screening room, where I've been watching and recapping the show from all season. So I must confess that I haven't yet seen 'Get Gellar,' but we do have a video clip from the episode, and we'd be be remiss if we didn't give 'Dexter' fans the opportunity to dissect the dramatic reveal.

Read on to check out the video, and for a few thoughts on why, in retrospect, we probably should have seen this coming.

In the clip, Dexter returns to the Doomsday Killer's abandoned church lair, where he finds Travis, whom he'd been working with to find Gellar, passed out on the floor. Dexter proceeds down a flight of a stairs and finds a meat-locker holding Professor Gellar's frozen dead body. Yes, Gellar's been dead this entire time! It's been Travis, the innocent-looking accomplice we mistakenly believed had a conscience, who's been heinously killing and dismembering these victims, including his own sister.

Last week, in the comment section of AOL TV's recap, a commenter named Malik raised the theory that Professor Gellar might be a figment of Travis' demented imagination, and it sparked an interesting discussion. Looking back, there were several clues along the way. Let's start with the scene where Travis and the Professor ran down those two people with a car, with Gellar pushing Travis' leg against the gas pedal. It seemed, well, ridiculously unrealistic ... but realism isn't exactly a calling card of 'Dexter,' so you could be forgiven for not realizing it then.

There was also the Professor's propensity for popping up unexpectedly, usually before something terrible was about to happen. There was Dexter wondering if the Professor was Travis' personal version of a 'dark passenger.' But as many have pointed out now, it's pretty clear in hindsight that we never really saw other people talking to Gellar, or saw Gellar killing any of DDK's victims. So maybe the writing was on the wall ... but I didn't see it until Malik connected the dots last week.

Leave your thoughts on the episode in the comments. Meanwhile, I'm going to visit a friend who gets Showtime...

Rinacres

Some of us had it figured out by episode 3 - and as Jenn says, people were talking about it over on TV Line for about that long.

November 29 2011 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa and Gianni

WAIT....ACTUALLY, I THOUGHT, DEXTER WAS GONNA GET HIT IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

November 29 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa and Gianni

DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING.......LOL

November 29 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Flohr

I figured it out by about episode 5

November 29 2011 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lesher

Oh shut the hell up Jenn you didn't figure it out!

November 28 2011 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lesher's comment
junkyard9

If you didn't figure it out you may not be qualified to operate heavy machinery.

November 28 2011 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rabbitdare

Hey Alex, I guess you missed my first comment on your episode 6 recap. LOL! I still think we are in for another big surprise before the finale that will include the lady professor's involvement as I suggested last week.

I won't be able to watch this week's episode until tomorrow night but looking forward to it and of course, your recap as well. :)

November 28 2011 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenn

We've been talking about this since episode two or three over at TVLine. It pretty much ruined the season for me, because it was so obvious. I was really hoping they were trying to make us think Geller was dead, and then reveal he is alive. I'm disappointed that they didn't think we were smart enough to see this coming.

November 28 2011 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jenn's comment
junkyard9

Agreed. In a show that features the main character routinely talking with dead people it was absurd that the writers didn't think we'd notice by episode two or three that no one else seemed to interact with Geller in any way, shape or form.

Then again, this season also had Dexter cut out a page from a Bible to see if the rectangle missing the fancy red 1482 exactly matched the rectangle with the fancy red 1482 in the police station (nice that no one caught him with that) and last night featured Dexter, chasing a dangerous serial killer, going down into a basement that had been covered by a heavy table that one man clearly could not have gone into without help.

November 28 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to junkyard9's comment
mindbender9

Well said. Because the writers' search for a *gasp* moment was so predictable by episode 2, this season has been a bore for me knowing all along that Gellar was all in Travis' head.

Actually, I take that back. I got a huge kick out of seeing Rudy replacing Dexter's father for a short run. It was funny to see imaginary Rudy get frustrated by Dexter's self-control in Nebraska.

If the Dexter writers/producers are reading this (ha!), I have an idea for you. Since you brought back Rudy as Dexter's ghost advisor, bring someone like Sgt. Doakes back to torment him next season (which I'd love to see). That way viewers like us won't figure out your storyline by Week 2. Thanks.

November 29 2011 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down